Fulltime Yellow Card

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Had this happen to me at my game this weekend and curious as to what my options were.

After a close, but clean game, which I thought I refereed quite evenly and with no major issues - Red wins over Blue 16-12.

As the teams are tunneling up and I pass Blue 13 he says "You are the worst ****ing referee ever and all your calls were bullshit".

I walk through the tunnel then go talk to him to say "You can disagree with my calls, but you can't dispute them or use that language. Furthermore I am writing you up for referee abuse."

I informed the captain and let him know it would reported as a YC at fulltime for ref abuse.

Can I YC after fulltime?

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Should have told him you didn't think much of his handling or tackling either!

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Yes.

I don't card often enough myself, but there is an argument that you could have RCd him, too.

You almost certainly refereed evenly if you thought so; the player obviously decided to get wound up about you (most likely for something unrelated to the errors you inevitably made in red's favour) and it is a miracle he held his mouth until after the final whistle.

But regardless of any mistakes you (we) made, if he acts like a Hartley, treat him like one.

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Yes.

I don't card often enough myself, but there is an argument that you could have RCd him, too.

You almost certainly refereed evenly if you thought so; the player obviously decided to get wound up about you (most likely for something unrelated to the errors you inevitably made in red's favour) and it is a miracle he held his mouth until after the final whistle.

But regardless of any mistakes you (we) made, if he acts like a Hartley, treat him like one.

I think I have a good sense of when I have a poor game. I know when I made a bad call, but in this game there was nothing significant.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
If the course opf events had been

""You are the worst ****ing referee ever"

YC.

And THEN

" and all your calls were bullshit"

That could be a 2nd YC = RC.

So that's 2 YCs in the tunnel = RC.

didds

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Why should we stand for language like that anyway, why not straight red and get the hearing to deal with it? That's what I would lean towards if it happened to me. Someone called me a "f*cking disgrace" in my 4th or 5th match and I YC'd it. Now I would have no hesitation in sending that man off and allowing a DC to deal with it afterwards. I'm not there to be abused on my afternoon

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
My very first match, between what turned out to be #1 and #2 at the end of the season, captain of #2 - very politely - suggested he felt 50/50 decisions weren't going their way.

Yes, I actually had a crap game, mostly because #1 were sufficiently better than #2 that I was actually making a misguided effort to keep #2 in the game (their number 8 should probably have had a yellow in the first half). By sufficiently better I mean that the difference in points difference was a small matter of 500 points at the end of the season.

To keep things short, the red card for ref abuse? Absolutely. Post-match? Start at red, and consider changing it to yellow if the hot-head makes a genuine apology. The point of cards (like penalties) is to stop behaviour from re-occurring.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree with Jonesp92 - :norc: . Why only yellow - this is unacceptable referee abuse, for which he needs to be banned for a few games. A YC post match achieves nothing.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Don't leave it for next weeks ref to deal with, he won't thank you for it and nor will every other referee in the world.

Abuse gets a red card or an Abuse Report depending on where/when. It is sending out entirely the wrong signals if you do nothing about it at the time it happens -29 other players and coaches etc will all have noted how you reacted.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Forgive me if this sounds thick, but I assume that once the final whistle has gone, your option of issuing cards has gone too? :chin:

I'm not suggesting Mr Gobby gets away with it, but in my simple mind once the final whistle has been blown it's now a straight case of Ref abuse. Isn't it?

Last edited:

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
We were told cards are invalid after once "No-side" is called. However, a Code of Conduct (COC) form is to be completed. From the description of the offence it would be a clear RED CARD if it occurred during a game. How anyonr can call that level of abuse to be worthy of a yellow card is having a laugh.

So complete a COC form, making it clear that the offence would have attracted a red card had the incident occured during the game, and it's over to the Discipline bods.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
In law a red card can be issued whilst players are still in the playing enclosure.

A YC should never be used post game, if it's serious enough to warrant a card, it is red.

If you have left the playing enclosure, then you need to use an abuse form through your society.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
In law a red card can be issued whilst players are still in the playing enclosure.

A YC should never be used post game, if it's serious enough to warrant a card, it is red.

If you have left the playing enclosure, then you need to use an abuse form through your society.

Well it certainly used to be, because I've used it, can't quite locate it now.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
In law a red card can be issued whilst players are still in the playing enclosure. ... If you have left the playing enclosure, then you need to use an abuse form through your society.
Law reference?

While the game is ongoing - fair enough. But if we started pulling cards for things that happened before or after a game (but still on the playing enclosure) wouldn't that make us look a laughing stock? If it's aimed at us, then why isn't it just a Code of Conduct matter? As has been mentioned, let the Disciplinary Committee sort it out.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes

I'd be very interested to see your justification for that claim.