In Goal Anxiety revisited.

Simonsky

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm losing the thread:eek:

So an attacker kicking ball in goal which accidentally deflects of offside attacker in goal(or field of player) making ball dead/TIG = 22 drop out for defenders:confused:

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
. . . so can someone pose the query again accompanied by the answer, please? ie a summary.:clap:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Red, attacking, kick the ball into the in goal area, where it hits an offside red player and goes dead.

Referee's first decision - was the offside accidental or deliberate.

Accidental - advantage blue - 22m drop out (better than a scrum blue)
Deliberate - penalty blue. Choice: PK or scrum where it was kicked.
PK to be taken where: Law 21 says at place of infringement. Law 22 says on 5m line.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Accidental offside is only an offence if it results in a disadvantage to the opposition, if not play on. So if accidental then agree, 22m drop out - ie ignore it, no offence.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Deliberate - penalty blue. Choice: PK or scrum where it was kicked.
PK to be taken where: Law 21 says at place of infringement. Law 22 says on 5m line.

Hmmmm

Offside in general play. PK at place of offence, or Scrum where offending team last played the ball. Since we are saying the man in in-goal played the ball deliberately, then that is the place where the offending team last played the ball, they are one and the same place?

Defending team takes PK at place of infringement (21.2(b)), or scrum on the 5m line?

What do you reckon?

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Simonsky, I've just replied to your e-mail with an Excel attachment, but I've had one back saying that there was a problem. Did you get it? I've checked it twice and still can't see any reason why it shouldn't have gone through ok.

... Offside in general play. PK at place of offence, or Scrum where offending team last played the ball. Since we are saying the man in in-goal played the ball deliberately, then that is the place where the offending team last played the ball, they are one and the same place? Defending team takes PK at place of infringement (21.2(b)), or scrum on the 5m line? What do you reckon?
Am I being thick? I assumed it was where the offending team last played the ball before the offence took place ie where the ball was kicked. :sad:

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Am I being thick? I assumed it was where the offending team last played the ball before the offence took place ie where the ball was kicked. :sad:
You are not thick. Phil E is having a Senior Moment.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
'last played the ball' MUST mean "last played the ball legally'.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Davet

Post Likes
Perhaps they prefer refs who don't muse their way through difficult questions...:)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Because if he played it illegally that would have been a penalty?

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Excellent.

Now . . . can someone pose the query again accompanied by the answer, please? ie a summary. :clap:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Or you could try reading the thread?

Davet

Post Likes
If, while you do so, you take some notes, you could post them here to help the rest of us.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Or you could try reading the thread?

Thought I had grasped it . . . then more opinions came in. Perhaps you didn't read them, Simon?:sad:

Would really appreciate an update on the previous summary.:hap:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Um, I repeat - you could reread it.

I think asking others to do your work for you is...well, it's not something I would do.

If there's something I don't understand I ask a specific question, after rereading the thread to try to work out where my misunderstanding has arisen.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Um, I repeat - you could reread it.

I think asking others to do your work for you is...well, it's not something I would do.

If there's something I don't understand I ask a specific question, after rereading the thread to try to work out where my misunderstanding has arisen.

So you didn't read them.:hap:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Oh, I read them. I just already have a job that overworks and underpays me. I don't need to take on the role of your secretary.