Increasing lack of respect?

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm intrigued - what prompted you to stop going through the tunnel?

I don't bother either, unless I'm invited by either side, why do I want teams to be forced to stand and clap me?
I'll shake hands with whoever offers, but I won't go looking for it.

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Ditto to this. Paul23, how did you know they wouldn't shake hands? Did they leave you hanging?

Whilst I don't walk through the tunnel, I remain in the general vicinity of where players are shaking hands, walking towards teams/players if needed to make sure they know I am aroUnd. It is definitely a conscious decision by some teams, made more obvious as it's always the losing team that 'cannot' find me.

somebody asked why not walk through the tunnel. I was advised not to as it is the perfect opportunity for a sly dig at you, physical or verbal, and you will never pinpoint who it was.

Last edited:

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
somebody asked why not walk through the tunnel. I was advised not to as it is the perfect opportunity for a sly dig at you, physical or verbal, and you will never pinpoint who it was.

That was me. It's never occurred to me that refs don't - on occasion when I'm a bit tardy (checking score, talking to someone) I've been encouraged to go through. I've never encountered any issue of 'digs', verbal or physical, other than a stony silence - the 'offended' team will applaud in any event as it's for the other team. I guess I've felt it's an authority thing - I've taken responsibility for my actions during the game (ie made decisions, right or wrong, accepted or not), so why should I be worried/concerned about what might happen in the tunnel. I feel I'd lose authority/respect if I didn't go through, particularly if there'd been something contentious (although there have been much more visible and broadcast precedents for 'ducking out').

I'm interested in what others do - is there a 'mandate' of not going through the tunnel in different areas?

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I was advised not to walk through the tunnel, in a effort to monitor the players in case of any shenanigans between players. I will seek out the captains and coaches after to shake hands. This was the same message I received from advisors and trainers for wrestling, and field hockey officiating as well.

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I was advised not to walk through the tunnel, in a effort to monitor the players in case of any shenanigans between players. I will seek out the captains and coaches after to shake hands. This was the same message I received from advisors and trainers for wrestling, and field hockey officiating as well.

Have you ever observed any shenanigans?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I always considered the tunnel as a players thing. Didn't do it as a ref and don't do it as a coach. As a ref I'd seek out the coaches and captains and as a coach I seek out the ref.

I agree with didds that coach histrionics on the sidelines is not just uncalled for but it poor use of their time. You can't be an analytical observer if you're going postal over some trivial issue of the moment.

It's easy to dismiss the rants from the sidelines but don't dismiss that coaches have waaaaay more invested in that game than you do. And they may have much more at stake, too. And he may have to listen to those snarky ****s that ran a commentary on your reffing talents do likewise on his coaching skills. Every week!

This is no excuse for boorish behavior but cut the guy a little slack.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Most referees I assess go through the tunnel of players after the game. I have never seen it cause any problems, and I have never discussed it with any referees.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... I'm interested in what others do - is there a 'mandate' of not going through the tunnel in different areas?
I don't go through the tunnel - unless invited. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. :biggrin:

I tend to go to the front of the line, clap through the losing side (shaking hands with players who hold out their hand) then walk around the back (ie not through the tunnel) and go the front of the next line and clap through the winning side. Why? Because I'm the quiet shy type and "it's not about me". :biggrin:

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Interesting, never gone through the tunnel, and cant think of any refs I've ever seen do it. Too busy talking to AR's, signing match cards, getting ready for next game etc etc

Also, the tunnel normally sets up to cheer the next team on. So other than after first grade you would probably get trampled

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Interesting, never gone through the tunnel, and cant think of any refs I've ever seen do it. Too busy talking to AR's, signing match cards, getting ready for next game etc etc

Also, the tunnel normally sets up to cheer the next team on. So other than after first grade you would probably get trampled

Same. Must be a aussie non inclusive thing. To me the tunnel is a players thing. I'm grateful just if I get a 'thanks' and a handshake from anyone. Very spasmodic thing down these parts. (Or maybe it's my shjt reffing?). Those are the ones that have been bought up well.

I insist my 12yo son always goes to the ref with a smile and thanks them no matter what he thought of their performance. He always does.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Always stand at the head of the tunnel which is always in my experience set up by the home team win lose or draw.
Clap the visitors through then walk through myself before clapping the home team through.
Coaches are never involved.
It had always been a tradition and long may it continue.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

When I first started I felt a bit diffident about going through the tunnel, and when I got watched I was told I definitely SHOULD go through.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I tend to see these traditions (including teams lining up on halfway for handshake pre-kick off) more so at school games. If there is a tunnel at school game I will always participate as I see myself as an adult role model for these youngsters.

Adult games? Sometimes they happen, sometimes they don't. If the tone at the end of the game is positive, I'll participate (and ask the ARs/TJs to join me). I'll then sign paperwork, etc afterwards.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
It is "expected" around here. So, I will always participate as "it's not about me". I guess you go with the "traditions" of your area. That way it remains about the game and not the referee.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ime, in England there is always a tunnel, without exception..
But I have never seen teams line up to shake hands before a game!

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Ime, in England there is always a tunnel, without exception..
But I have never seen teams line up to shake hands before a game!

Pre game handshake is the usual thing here in schools and juniors. Occasional in seniors.

Generally both teams will run out in a line behind their captain, if they are lucky each through a separate tunnel of their club/school mates from the previous game, and form up in the centre either just shaking hands with the opponent opposite them or walking down the whole line.

In juniors the toss is usually done there in the middle, as is the traditional checking of both teams footballs (as each captain ALWAYS brings one out), and the equally traditional punting of one ball off - usually by the referee (usually badly, followed by the "that's why I referee" quip).

Tunnels never existed when I was a kid, but are more usual now. Becoming even more so now that the unions want both teams to set up on the same side of the field in technical areas. Previously it was more like American football - the opposite teams coaches and reserves were on opposite sides of the field so just individually headed to their own sides at the end of the game

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes

I've put "Too busy" in bold, my emphasis. The tunnel takes about 5 seconds. If you are too busy to spend 5 seconds, or even a whole minute, then you may not be doing a Joubert, but FFS, it literally only takes 5 seconds to walk through the tunnel.

What's the worst thing that can happen? Excluding ladies' matches where they aren't very ladylike in the tunnel, that is?

I can think of other good excuses for not going through the tunnel - even as an appointed AR it feels odd to me - but lack of time doesn't make any sense.

But this thread is about "increasing lack of respect". I like to show my respect to the players by being part of their after-game rituals, and to be honest it has never occurred to me that something as simple as walking through the tunnel too is something one would not want to do.

One lives and learns, though!

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I've put "Too busy" in bold, my emphasis. The tunnel takes about 5 seconds. If you are too busy to spend 5 seconds, or even a whole minute, then you may not be doing a Joubert, but FFS, it literally only takes 5 seconds to walk through the tunnel.

You are assuming as referee I am actually leaving the field. In most cases I stay out there to either referee or run touch in the next game.

Here is the usual end of game ritual:

1) blow fulltime
2) as players are all shaking hands I find the captains and shakes theirs, as well as any other players who offer
3) both AR's come to me and I shake their hands and thank them
4) team managers come out to me with their clipboards. I shake their hands and sign the match sheets, noting any cards. The coaches also usually come out onto the field to shake hands with me and each other

By then both teams have done any tunnels that they may want to do, and I (or the fellow I am running touch for) am blowing the whistle to get the players for the next game out onto the field