Increasing lack of respect?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You are assuming as referee I am actually leaving the field. In most cases I stay out there to either referee or run touch in the next game.

Here is the usual end of game ritual:

1) blow fulltime
2) as players are all shaking hands I find the captains and shakes theirs, as well as any other players who offer
3) chase after ARs/TJs so that I can salvage my flags
4) team managers come out to me with their clipboards. Resolve dispute about score discrepancy. Ask manager for name and ID number of red carded player (turns out this was his first, and last, game so no details available).

By then both teams have done any tunnels that they may want to do, and I (or the fellow I am running touch for) am blowing the whistle to get the players for the next game out onto the field. I need to find & put on comms gear (still in ref's change room) and listen to pre-match instructions from next ref

plus mine in red :)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Interesting how different customs are from place to place...

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
It had always been a tradition and long may it continue.

well, its a tradition in England at least.

TC's description is the tradition in Aus (well, Sydney anyway from my own experience) where 4 grades play throughout the afternoon, one after the other on the same pitch.

didds

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
On the whole, I don't like going through the tunnel as a referee. The game is about the players, not the referee, and that includes the post-game, too.

I also see it as a good barometer of your performance - if you're outside the tunnel you (occasionally) get players coming up to and saying 'good game', but if you've gone through the tunnel almost everyone does.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
On the whole, I don't like going through the tunnel as a referee. The game is about the players, not the referee, and that includes the post-game, too.

I also see it as a good barometer of your performance - if you're outside the tunnel you (occasionally) get players coming up to and saying 'good game', but if you've gone through the tunnel almost everyone does.

I dunno, perhaps if you are outside they perceive you to be skulking?

In general, though, I don't think it makes much difference. It's easy to distinguish handshakes/thanks that that are triggered by a genuine wish to thank you, from those that come essentially from politeness (which are also welcome!)

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes

I'd not considered that - and certainly hope that's not how I come across.

I expect it's for the best to do whatever's normal in your region, regardless of personal feelings. Again, trying not to stand out as "the ref who always goes through the tunnel" or "the ref who never goes through the tunnel"

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

In general, though, I don't think it makes much difference. It's easy to distinguish handshakes/thanks that that are triggered by a genuine wish to thank you, from those that come essentially from politeness (which are also welcome!)

Agreed in general, apart from one I had several years ago. At the end of a match, I hadn't had my best game, but a coach approached me, smiling, with his hand out. As we met and shook hands, he said, still smiling, "that's the worst display of refereeing I've ever seen". I didn't register exactly what he'd said until several seconds after he'd disappeared. Probably not the first time he'd done that, and cleverly staged to make it difficult for observers to see anything awry.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I'm reffing at a level where there, in my view, is too much blame going on and by walking through the tunnel you could inflame an issue, so why do it? Stand to the side clap everyone as they make their way through.

Also, our society shirts are white or light yellow and some smart arse always wants to put a muddy hand on your back and they're a bitch to get clean :wink:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm reffing at a level where there, in my view, is too much blame going on and by walking through the tunnel you could inflame an issue, so why do it? Stand to the side clap everyone as they make their way through.

you could say the same thing about relationships between the players after a bad-tempered game -- but somehow the tunnel has the opposite effect, it's part of the process where the on-field conflict/anger ebbs away.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I walk through if invited. If not I don't. I shake hands with those that want to. The only refusal to shake hands I recall was one strop artist who refused to shake my hand telling me I was a disgrace. They'd just lost by 80+ pts

"Suit yourself" I said, smiled and left him to his bile. He didn't come in the club house but I took the trouble to tell one of the blazers their hooker was a prize prick.

Hopefully he is still plying his trade in Yorkshire 4 (where last our paths crossed) and with luck his manner and tackling prowess have improved.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I expect it's for the best to do whatever's normal in your region, regardless of personal feelings. Again, trying not to stand out as "the ref who always goes through the tunnel" or "the ref who never goes through the tunnel"

although- it's difficult to know what's normal!
in my region
- it's definitely normal for player to form a tunnel - in fact its more than normal, it always happens
- but I really have no idea what proportion of refs walk through it, I hardly ever get to watch other refs - often mine is the only game on at the club, and when there are other games they are very often concurrent with mine, so I don't get to see their tunnels

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
@didds - as a coach you see a lot of refs - do they generally go through the tunnel? or not?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
you could say the same thing about relationships between the players after a bad-tempered game -- but somehow the tunnel has the opposite effect, it's part of the process where the on-field conflict/anger ebbs away.

But as a ref you're an easy target to blame. Teams will always form a tunnel and clap each other off, but I've seen players refuse to take part. The tunnel is for the players as I see it, I can show my appreciation of their efforts stood by the side of the tunnel, I don't need to walk through it to show them that.

I know the players or me are there, but you don't see "showbiz" refs walk through the tunnel :shrug:

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
But as a ref you're an easy target to blame.

Reminds me of the story of the two opposing coaches, on their way to complain to the referee after the game, discussing how biased they both thought he was.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I know the players or me are there, but you don't see "showbiz" refs walk through the tunnel :shrug:

are you sure? I have the impression they do -- I will watch closely at the next quins game!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
@didds - as a coach you see a lot of refs - do they generally go through the tunnel? or not?

Ive never thought about it... I would say yes they do. But as I say I'm generally not really watching for it, mainly because I'm not involved in it.

didds

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Only on RRF could there be 6 pages on whether or not refs should walk through the tunnel and the hidden meanings if you do or don't

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

What has that got to do with it? I don't see them policing the scrum put in, doesn't mean to say that I will follow suit and ignore it :biggrin:

On a personal note, I always walk through the tunnel. Start by standing at the side as the away team walk off and then walk through between both teams. If a player is still being an a@$€ because he disagreed with a call then that is not my problem.

I used to not walk through, but as I went up the levels I would always get invited to go through the tunnel, and now just do it be default.