IRB approves trial for Rugby Goggles

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
E74 or roughly £60 for a pair, I have a few friends who tried contacts to stay playing and never really got used to them who would definitely be getting this link.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Unions are required to participate in the trial before a player under its jurisdiction can participate in the trial.

................over to you RFU?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The player has to have confirmation of need by a qualified ophthalmologist (or similar medico), and it is a single online supplier to buy from and any player using them has to be registered on IRB Passport.

And here is the best bit. "Only those Rugby Goggles bearing the IRB trial-approved logo can be worn with referees empowered to make the necessary checks."

No doubt it has all been passed to the Editor of Touchline to make the decision for the RFU

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... And here is the best bit. "Only those Rugby Goggles bearing the IRB trial-approved logo can be worn with referees empowered to make the necessary checks."
Check for what exactly?

Sounds like the sound of an arse being covered to me.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Check for what exactly?

Sounds like the sound of an arse being covered to me.

Check for an IRB logo.
If it has that its approved.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Ok so ....... I buy goggles & now my son can now play whereas before he couldn't :pepper: I register to provide feedback [all good so far] , But say these goggles cause injuries to other players :shrug: & I know that if I provide this feedback to the IRB then my son might be stopped from playing ........... Q? will I provide the feedback? Will I log the injuries or track their long term effects....Will the referee report back such findings to the RFU---> IRB? if the answer to either of these is no, then what?............................. Or ............. should this be an 'already known & pre-determined outcome' trial?

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I haven't seen these but I expect them to be no more rigid or hard than a scrum cap.
also goggles pose a potential risk to the wearer - limited field of view, choke hazard from the strap. they'll want feedback on that.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ok so ....... I buy goggles & now my son can now play whereas before he couldn't :pepper: I register to provide feedback [all good so far] , But say these goggles cause injuries to other players :shrug: & I know that if I provide this feedback to the IRB then my son might be stopped from playing ........... Q? will I provide the feedback? Will I log the injuries or track their long term effects....Will the referee report back such findings to the RFU---> IRB? if the answer to either of these is no, then what?............................. Or ............. should this be an 'already known & pre-determined outcome' trial?

Mountains-Molehills.jpg

Basketball has been using soft-goggles for over 30 years. If there has been an injury caused by them, I have certainly never heard of one.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Mmmm. But as there's only 1 supplier worldwide, every single one should have an IRB logo surely.

There are a number of suppliers of goggles. The point it that these are the ones that are "approved" by the IRB. Or at least they are until the end of the trial.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Mountains-Molehills.jpg

Basketball has been using soft-goggles for over 30 years. If there has been an injury caused by them, I have certainly never heard of one.

Remember though that basketball is (theoretically) non-(or limited-)contact - certainly the gogggles wouldn't routinely come into violent contact with an opponent, whereas they will in rugby.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
What happens to the people who buy these goggles and take part in the trial if the IRB says: " No thanks! the trial is not a success you can't wear them again!" What a waste of money.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
To Browner,
I wish these had been around a few years back, my daughter would have gotten more value out of her Rugy license over 3 or 4 seasons. If there was ever a problem (injury or otherwise) I'd still be happy to provide feedback. It'd be pretty small-minded to relegate the safety of others to a distant second place, for the sake of my child's enjoyment. I feel most of the other club mini/midi/maxi coachs would do the same.

That said, there's a more cynical edge to some of the Senior coachs, so I cannot speak for them. :shrug: £60 isn't going to break the bank, is it? It's like buying a pair of "wonder" boots, which turn out to be useless ; what are you going to do, carry on wearing them because you paid good money for them or buy yourself a decent pair of boots?

Last edited:

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
For many £60 is not a lot. for some, on top of the rest of the kit it is a concern. Surely the IRB should commission and fund the trial and not leave it to little Johnny's parents to buy them.

At least with boots you can sell them second hand. Who is going to buy second hand "discredited" and "illegal" goggles?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
To Browner,
I wish these had been around a few years back, my daughter would have gotten more value out of her Rugy license over 3 or 4 seasons. If there was ever a problem (injury or otherwise) I'd still be happy to provide feedback. It'd be pretty small-minded to relegate the safety of others to a distant second place, for the sake of my child's enjoyment. I feel most of the other club mini/midi/maxi coachs would do the same.

QUOTE]
By definition you're likely to be a 'responsible/ in tune with the greater good' person, aware of the impact of such. Would you be confident that all the buyers of these goggles would have the same thought process' ? ........ The wear'ers parents [if they mirror the actions of most parents I've seen most weekends ] won't likely be that worried about the effect on anyone other than their Jonny. Hey I'll add another thought into the mix... IRB sanctions one manufacturer - wow that's a nice exclusive contract ..... Raleri must be well connected ! Ps, I wasn't a cynic until I found mummy & daddy were the Tooth Fairy & Santa respectively. :shrug:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Hi Browner,
At this time on a Saturday night, I'm generally worse for wear ; but I'll answer you : I've already put "Jonnie's" parents right on this common misunderstanding. If they're less understanding than most, a punch in the face usually straightens thing out! Usually, your milage may differ. ;)

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Remember though that basketball is (theoretically) non-(or limited-)contact - certainly the gogggles wouldn't routinely come into violent contact with an opponent, whereas they will in rugby.

If you believe basketball, or netball for that matter, are non-contact sports then you are living in cloud cuckoo land. I have not played basketball, but I used to play indoor netball in a mixed league (played in a totally enclosed indoor cricket arena) and I can honestly say I have never come off a sports court or field feeling so battered and bruised as regularly as I have after playing indoor netball. The girls are particularly brutal, with a surreptitious/accidental forearm or elbow in the face being not that uncommon.