Is the Bunker working?

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
it will get interesting if a decision is referred to the bunker in the last few minutes of the game.

I assume the bunker still get eight minutes to make a decision, even if the game has ended.
I wonder how the decision is communicated, and to whom, if the game ended a while ago

The referee's authority to issue a RC ends when the game ends, but the FPRO's authority must extend to no-side + eight minutes.
If there is insufficient time remaining for the FPRO assessment leave it with the referee and the TMO, they are empowered and have control of the clock. The binned player will not be returning.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
so do we know if the issued protocol means that if the bunker decision isnt made before final whistle the incident is referred to a DP instead?
Cos it seem inequitable that a potential yellow-to-red is avoided bacuse the bunker call was made with only 3 minutes on the clock, the card stays at yellow and the perp doesnt get a ban ? While somebody referred to the bunker > 8 minutes before final whistle may not have the same "benefit" of timing?

Last edited:

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Right Sorry confusing the diagram:

Curry's Time line give the YC "X" at 02:59 Game Time and the RC at 10:03 Game Time that is a time difference of 7:04 mins How is that outside the 8 minutes?

Carreras Card time is YC )9:00 Game Time and the YC upheld at 18:54 (presumably the time he returned to the pitch. Under 10 minutes by 6 seconds)

Assuming the times on the diagram are correct and Game time = Elapsed playing time. (Ignoring the TV times are they are not relevant.)

Does the 8 minutes FPRO review time consist of Actual time or Playing time? I'd have thought it was 8 minutes of the YC timing.
That's the bit we are trying to ascertain.

I'm not bothered either way but if the decision loop is based on elapsed game time then in reality they have > 8mins whereas others seem to consider it is real time. Hence my inclusion of the tv time to track the decision gates.

I think all the confusion stems from poor communication, pundits chatting over the ref/match officials and getting to a suitable break in play.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd guess it is 8 of the 10 reading in context. But who knows.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
after the final whistle has been blown, my understanding is the you would not show a RC -- what would it even mean?

after the final whistle
- MO abuse > MOA form

Anything else, let's say a fight broke out, out you heard some racist/homophobic abuse. No doubt there is a form for it, but I'd be writing everything down and calling my society and saying : help! get me the right form

But I wouldn't be brandishing a RC to anyone after the game was finished
I'm feeling stupid now... even though I searched for rugby info, I think my quote above refers to football :rolleyes:

I've still learned something from your reply, so not a total loss!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
after the final whistle has been blown, my understanding is the you would not show a RC -- what would it even mean?

I have issued a red card a couple of times after the final whistle.
Once for a punch up in the tunnel and once for a punch up on the pitch straight after the final whistle.

Both dealt with in the normal way and offenders banned for x games.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have issued a red card a couple of times after the final whistle.
Once for a punch up in the tunnel and once for a punch up on the pitch straight after the final whistle.

Both dealt with in the normal way and offenders banned for x games.
punch up in the tunnel !
you'd hope that if there is that much bad feeling left the captains would be sensible enough to forget about a tunnel!

did you actually get your RC out and wave it ?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
On the pitch I'd issue a card. Off the pitch CoC. I'd probably cover bases by say. "6 that is a red card offence expect to be up in front of a hearing" I'd latter take advice from my seniors and issue the correct form (RC / CoC).

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
punch up in the tunnel !
you'd hope that if there is that much bad feeling left the captains would be sensible enough to forget about a tunnel!

did you actually get your RC out and wave it ?

Yes I did, so everyone knew that it had been seen and dealt with.

The games wasn't all that bad, but there was some goading in the tunnel that led to the punches being thrown.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
NZ yellow and referral at 71:39 review in progress advises 10 mins🙄

Captain advised upgrade @78:07(y)

Last edited:

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
NZ yellow and referral at 71:39 review in progress advises 10 mins🙄

Captain advised upgrade @78:07(y)
…and talking about the NZ card, reports are they are looking to appeal it.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Given the gross inconsistency in the management of head contact so far I would suggest there are numerous holes that any partially competent counsel will easily exploit.

But at what risk, if the appeal is not sustained what reduction in sentence could they forego?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think that despite all the bunker activity there has actually been only 2 RC so far, right ? De Groot and Curry

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
it will get interesting if a decision is referred to the bunker in the last few minutes of the game.

I assume the bunker still get eight minutes to make a decision, even if the game has ended.
I wonder how the decision is communicated, and to whom, if the game ended a while ago

The referee's authority to issue a RC ends when the game ends, but the FPRO's authority must extend to no-side + eight minutes.
So Pinto referred to the bunker on 77mins and I believe the upgrade to RC happend after the game was over ?

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
No the game was still in play.

Wales 8 scored the try, the score was 26-8, between the try and the conversion the Red was shown at 82:39 before Wales kicked the conversion at 82:44 and this was immediately followed by no-side.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No the game was still in play.

Wales 8 scored the try, the score was 26-8, between the try and the conversion the Red was shown at 82:39 before Wales kicked the conversion at 82:44 and this was immediately followed by no-side.
Why, on earth, did we need the bunker for that one?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

only deliberate acts of foul play will get a straight RC
All the accidental stuff will be YC - bunker - RC

So I don't think we will see any straight reds

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
🤷‍♂️
I'm not sure you get any clearer Red than that, perhaps a punch or headbutt but not really likely to see those nowadays.

I'd rather run the risk of the ref made decision under pressure of time and with limited angles than wait for a Bunker decision that has the time, the resources and empowerment bottling the obvious and not addressing player safety.

To me there is significant and growing disrepute for the Bunker!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
🤷‍♂️
I'm not sure you get any clearer Red than that, perhaps a punch or headbutt but not really likely to see those nowadays.

I'd rather run the risk of the ref made decision under pressure of time and with limited angles than wait for a Bunker decision that has the time, the resources and empowerment bottling the obvious and not addressing player safety.

To me there is significant and growing disrepute for the Bunker!
I think there is a lot to be said for following the same process (ie bunker) every time.
Ie consistency.

Last edited: