Is the Bunker working?

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The refs have quite a lot to say

Is it just me or does their logic still not go 1+1=2?

On the one hand they are saying the bunker takes the decision away from them and comes from an "anonymous" expert.
On the other hand they are getting abused for the outcomes on making critical decisions.

Can't have it both ways, but as they actually do highlight bunker v2.0 could come with a lot more clarity.

For the record, that red card that Wayne Barnes got abused for even though he didn't issue it was then clarified at the hearing as a RC with 6 week ban moved down to 3. I'm sure they will now apologize to him in full!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For me I would keep the bunker, but try and work out how to communicate the results better

As in idea, could we even, at the right moment when the ball is dead
Time off
I am now going to show you the best angle of the incident, and explain the decision
All the stadium get to watch the incident (just once) and hear the FPRO give a short summary of decision and reason .
This would all be queued up ready to go, so really would take, only, what, 20 seconds ?

We would hear the voice of the FPRO and he/she would lose their anonymity, but I think that's a good thing

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Is it just me or does their logic still not go 1+1=2?

On the one hand they are saying the bunker takes the decision away from them and comes from an "anonymous" expert.
On the other hand they are getting abused for the outcomes on making critical decisions.

Can't have it both ways, but as they actually do highlight bunker v2.0 could come with a lot more clarity.

For the record, that red card that Wayne Barnes got abused for even though he didn't issue it was then clarified at the hearing as a RC with 6 week ban moved down to 3. I'm sure they will now apologize to him in full!
I do not feel it has clarified the decision, in fact I feel the terminology and phrases used in the DP report made it more confusing.

But I take your sentiment about apologising to Mr Barnes absolutely 👏 the system is at fault, the referees are trying to work within that system and have now expressed their frustration.

The writing was on the wall, clear and large and there for everybody to see, including the usual diversions and side discussions we spent 11 pages picking over the Farrell Red Card and the shambles that followed as well as many other threads that were lively during the competition. As I said on another thread the RWC Finals was not the place to run this experiment.

I am currently fully supportive of Rob Baxter here, stop tinkering with the Laws, let things settle and remember the aim of the game.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
For me I would keep the bunker, but try and work out how to communicate the results better

As in idea, could we even, at the right moment when the ball is dead
Time off
I am now going to show you the best angle of the incident, and explain the decision
All the stadium get to watch the incident (just once) and hear the FPRO give a short summary of decision and reason .
This would all be queued up ready to go, so really would take, only, what, 20 seconds ?

We would hear the voice of the FPRO and he/she would lose their anonymity, but I think that's a good thing
I think this would be a really good way to resolve the complaints against the system while keeping the benefit of keeping the game flowing and - critically - makes it transparent to the viewer/fans. Also make it policy the video is shown on the screens in the ground and the chat is broadcast for all to hear.

Another variation is the FRPO lines up their best angles and presents their decision as you describe but when the Ref reviews, and *based just on the presented evidence*, the Ref will decide if clear and obvious to upgrade and again the Ref/AR chat is broadcast for all to hear.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the ref can't make the final decision --- he/she would then want to review all the angles, and would need time to consider and discuss - which is the whole point of the bunker, to take that offline

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think this would be a really good way to resolve the complaints against the system while keeping the benefit of keeping the game flowing and - critically - makes it transparent to the viewer/fans. Also make it policy the video is shown on the screens in the ground and the chat is broadcast for all to hear.

Another variation is the FRPO lines up their best angles and presents their decision as you describe but when the Ref reviews, and *based just on the presented evidence*, the Ref will decide if clear and obvious to upgrade and again the Ref/AR chat is broadcast for all to hear.
The only problem with requiring the big screen for the process is that you need to take it away from the host broadcaster for it to be reliable. The French have a good habit of losing communication at convenient times...