Kick At Goal - Ball Over Top Of Post

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
other signals we all use, that aren't in the WR picture book

LINEOUT IN PROGRESS - Arm up indicates line out in progress, Arm down indicates lineout over

QTI AVAILABLE - (for AR) - flag up on its own indicates QTI is 'on', flag up + other arm out horizontal = QTI is no longer on

WENT BACKWARDS - both hands palm outwards moving as if pushing - indicates ball went backwards so not a knock on, play on)

SQUEEZEBALL - (U19 where illegal) - referee crouches on ground as if laying an egg, pushes imaginary egg backwards between legs

OK, I made the last one up, for a cheap laugh, but the other three are very regularly seen, and understood, just as the flag-wipe = missed kick is.

SEND OFF/TEMPORARY SUSPENSION - either
Hold up relevant coloured card and point it in the direction of the sideline, or
Hold up relevant coloured card with one hand and point to the sideline with the other hand.

These are used universally throughout the game at all levels, but you won't find them in the Law book.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
regularly seen, and understood, just as the flag-wipe = missed kick is.

that's probably the salient point. We don't regularly see the wipe here except from greenhorns or leaguies or someone having a laugh. If a TJ does it, that's fine. If a TJ asks if he should do it, then no.

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
Flag up is a signal - kick good

No action is also a signal - kick missed

I see no need for a different miss signal to doing nothing.....

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Flag up is a signal - kick good

No action is also a signal - kick missed

I see no need for a different miss signal to doing nothing.....

it's to distinguish 'it missed' from 'oops, I wasn't paying attention'.