Nigel Owens loss of form

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Is there any bait on that line you're throwing into the NZ pond? I'm sure you'll get a bite soon :wink:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dMOKKuQDntc

Nonu's gamesmanship irks

0.44 shirt pull
28.04 quick throw prevention
47:20 22 drop out prevention
48:12 almost ". ". ". Again!
1:12.42 another arm pull

The worst repeat offender on the field IMO.
When will someone stop this crap from him?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Probably about the same time Owen Farrell stops being a snidey wee shit. He has LOTS of form.

Are you going to post anything NO did well? Because I'm not sure how many times you can try to crucify a guy for one match.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Are you going to post anything NO did well? Because I'm not sure how many times you can try to crucify a guy for one match.

Being in the ' worlds best ' category brings expectations on some stuff, ie... asking the TMO to have a double check on a try in a tight match isn't crucifying him, its a valid query

my assessor does a similar review with me, at a level way below his. But if there are any points you disagree on, feel free to say, I'm sure others will , it is after all a forum.

You might instead start up a " what was excellent" thread for this match, I'll contribute ...in fact here's my 2nd positive , his communication quietening fired up players was top drawer.

I take most of the good decisions for granted at this level, but the ones listed I've stand out for either their ease or his discussion/ comment around the incident. I'll leave it to others to vociferously argue the 1-10% cases

Q? Did Farrell play, I must've missed him.

Last edited:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Finally got round to watching the whole match.

A YC on Nonu would have been a big call that early on, but I don't think anyone would have complained had it come out

JH - tackle player in the air, should have been a PK, but again if he'd been YC'd it would have been harsh but going on current thinking, maybe should have come out?

KO's by May and Burns :nono: bad calls and at least NO took the "blame" for the calls

There was a lot of "obstruction" off the ball, both sides at it, but with my reffin glasses on I would have said AB's were the worst/better at it, depending on your view?

The "no release" by AB's on J May, stone wall YC, if it was a PK, which it was, then it had to be a YC that close to the line!

K Milanu PK (think it was him, counter ruck, which Danny Cip then kicked), still have no idea what that was for????

Just a couple of points that come to mind and I know have been discussed. So for people to say NO had a poor game I think it's justified, at that level there is no way there should be that many C&O contentious calls.

Oh and for him to have to come out on social media to "defend" himself also to me sounds of someone who maybe realises they "could have done better"

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Is there any bait on that line you're throwing into the NZ pond? I'm sure you'll get a bite soon :wink:

He continues casting in bait for bottom feeder's, but I'm top feeding these days.

As Sgt Schultz would say, "I see nothing!!"

NOTE: Seven hidden posts in a row, must be a record! (one way of inflating your post count, I suppose?

Last edited:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Finally got round to watching the whole match.

A YC on Nonu would have been a big call that early on, but I don't think anyone would have complained had it come out

JH - tackle player in the air, should have been a PK, but again if he'd been YC'd it would have been harsh but going on current thinking, maybe should have come out?

KO's by May and Burns :nono: bad calls and at least NO took the "blame" for the calls

There was a lot of "obstruction" off the ball, both sides at it, but with my reffin glasses on I would have said AB's were the worst/better at it, depending on your view?

The "no release" by AB's on J May, stone wall YC, if it was a PK, which it was, then it had to be a YC that close to the line!

K Milanu PK (think it was him, counter ruck, which Danny Cip then kicked), still have no idea what that was for????

Just a couple of points that come to mind and I know have been discussed. So for people to say NO had a poor game I think it's justified, at that level there is no way there should be that many C&O contentious calls.

Oh and for him to have to come out on social media to "defend" himself also to me sounds of someone who maybe realises they "could have done better"

I'm sorry? Are they contentious or are they C&O wrong? If there were lots of contentious calls, but not necessarily C&O incorrect, you just feel they all went NZs way, tough luck. If they're C&O wrong, then maybe your opinion on his performance is more justified.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
OH PLEASE EXCUSE MY POOR USE OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE :tongue:

There are a few too many on here that enjoy taking the piss out of people who maybe struggle to get their point across by having to type it, some should not be so quick to have a pop at posters that can have a valid point but struggle to annotate it (and yes I had to Google that word!)

Those calls were IMO C&O, I'm not going down the route of some that take apart every single breakdown and toe in front of the HMF.

And if you read my post they weren't all in Eng's (sorry is that the wrong use of the ' ?) favour!

Oh and for the last time, Eng didn't lose because of NO's performance they lost because they didn't take their chances against a NZ team that were well below their usual high standard!

Last edited:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
OH PLEASE EXCUSE MY POOR USE OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE :tongue:

Those calls were IMO C&O, I'm not going down the route of some that take apart every single breakdown and toe in front of the HMF.

And if you read my post they weren't all in Eng's (sorry is that the wrong use of the ' ?) favour!

Oh and for the last time, Eng didn't lose because of NO's performance they lost because they didn't take their chances against a NZ team that were well below their usual high standard!
I wasn't meaning to attack your use of English, I was just wondering if you seriously thought there was a problem with a referee at any level having "contentious" decisions. They happen in every game, of course. Fair enough if this is not what you meant!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I wasn't meaning to attack your use of English, I was just wondering if you seriously thought there was a problem with a referee at any level having "contentious" decisions. They happen in every game, of course. Fair enough if this is not what you meant!

I agree there are always going to be contentious calls, but those were the C&O ones that people have been discussing.

At any level there will always be calls that people don't agree on, it's part of refereeing :wink:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Y POOR USE OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE :tongue:

There are a few too many on here that enjoy taking the piss out of people who maybe struggle to get their point across by having to type it, some should not be so quick to have a pop at posters that can have a valid point but struggle to annotate it

![/QUOTE]

a big friendly booooooooo.... to grandma snobs from me two.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i have some sympathy with the article - I find the go slow approach to forming scrums and lineouts is ever so tedious, both when I am watching and when I am reffing ... I want them to just get on with it FFS

iansimcox

Post Likes
He doesn't look well on the touch line today either. Seems to be struggling to keep up with play. I don't know what his workload has been like recently but I think the IRB need to give him a decent break. I don't like to see a quality ref struggling.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I couldn't help wondering why he initially kept running for danny cares kick, if it hit the line then the AR normally immediately stops and heads toward where kick was made.

It just looked like an indecisive movement sequence, maybe the all black crowd persuaded him?!!

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
was it ever shown on slo-mo replay? looked close enough to warrant another look, even if only for those of us at home.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Presumably a local TV replay producer , likely he didn't want to show it ?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
i have some sympathy with the article - I find the go slow approach to forming scrums and lineouts is ever so tedious, both when I am watching and when I am reffing ... I want them to just get on with it FFS

Some of it is illegal IMO.

On a couple of occasions (and last night too) I saw England players running to the LoT to, say, dissuade a quick throw in... once it was ruled out due to two players from each team being at the LoT, those players would then leave the LoT for their "conference"

There are Laws to prevent this type of thing, and they include

[LAWS]19.8 (d) When the ball is in touch, every player who approaches the line of touch is presumed to do
so to form a lineout. Players who approach the line of touch must do so without delay.
Players of either team must not leave the lineout once they have taken up a position in the
lineout until the lineout has ended.

Sanction: Free Kick on the 15-metre line[/LAWS]
and

[LAWS]10.2 (b) Time-wasting. A player must not intentionally waste time.
Sanction: Free Kick[/LAWS]
in conjunction with

[laws]19.8 (g) Failure to form a lineout. A team must not voluntarily fail to form a lineout.
Sanction: Free Kick on the 15-metre line[/laws]

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
There are a few too many on here that enjoy taking the piss out of people who maybe struggle to get their point across by having to type it, some should not be so quick to have a pop at posters that can have a valid point but struggle to annotate it (and yes I had to Google that word!)

Calm down big lad :wink:

A lot of the grammar talk on here is tongue in cheek and has become a bit of a tradition. I for one have learnt a lot about spelling and grammar since I started using this site.

Reading these forums is a bit like sitting down with your assessor......take the bits you find useful and ignore the rest :biggrin: