Nigel Owens loss of form

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
i'll bet he hasn't done enough AB home games for it to be statistically significant.

And the straight numbers don't tell the whole tale. For example if you have 60% possession and territory I'd expect you to give away less cards.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Nigel flew to NZ from the UK the day after he refereed the Rabo Pro12 final.

Such scheduling can't have helped him , assume the appointments weren't made simultaneously , needs looking at

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Nigel flew to NZ from the UK the day after he refereed the Rabo Pro12 final.

The mind boggles.

All the other non-NZ and non-Pom refs on holiday?

didds

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The mind boggles.

All the other non-NZ and non-Pom refs on holiday?

didds
International appointments were done ages ago. At the time it was not known he'd referee the Pro12 final.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
being appointed to ref NZ v Eng must have invovled a commitment to be in NZ a certain period before the game.
NO must have reffed Saturday, spent all day Sunday travelling, arriving in NZ on Monday, refffing on Saturday.
With such a large time difference That's quite a big ask. No wonder he looked a bit knackered.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
am I not understanding this correctly? he arrived 5 nights prior to the match?

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
am I not understanding this correctly? he arrived 5 nights prior to the match?

If he arrived in NZ on Monday, that's right. He's crossed 12 time zones; a rule of thumb is that you recover at a rate of 1-2 time zones per day - so his body was still up to 4-5 hours behind local time.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
a stretch...but possible. I would think the world traveler/best referee in the world in him would know exactly how to get prepared.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
he refereed the Rabo 12 final that kicked off at 18.00 in Dublin on 31st May.

The earliest he could have left Dublin must have been Sunday morning. I am not sure how easy it is to get from Dublin to Auckalnd , but I am guessing it's 24 hours travelling + 12 hours time zone = arrive NZ Monday evening.

I think that's tough!

Last edited:

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Google suggests the earliest he could have touched down was Tuesday morning with two stops on the way.
Which does not leave a lot of recovery time.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Google suggests the earliest he could have touched down was Tuesday morning with two stops on the way.
Which does not leave a lot of recovery time.

you'd need a long pre-match playlist on your iPod for a journwey like that!

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
just for the record NO journey-after dashing back from rabo he unpacked,packed, scuttled up to london for a night flight on 1st june arrived 28 hrs. later via hongkong (so basically the 3rd?) didn't sleep well 4th had v.early night 5th consequently was up and about at ridiculously early o'clock on day of game ,still a tad jetlagged IMHO.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
One part of his game was operating at full steam.
59 mins on game clock, before the scrum AB no8 questioned Nigel insistence he couldn't switch position after scrum formed with
"When you retire - you can be a ref"

Salute you Sir.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dMOKKuQDntc

29.00 min on game clock

Robshaw goes to ground to gather Lineout tapped ball, AB drops on him C&O to me
So when it comes the Cipriani incident at least NO is being consistent... Perhaps this is another law obsolete at elite level?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

53:14 on game clock

NO arm is out indicating 'advantage England' before NZ catch their lineout throw. He then FK penalises England for having a numerical 6v5 lineout.

The FK is unusual and lacks materialilty as NZ catch clean and unchallenged, but a change of signal even more so for him.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
If you look closely, you will see that NO has his arm out for AB advantage as soon as Wilson knocks on in freeze frame 58.03

The next hit on Wilson is a Shoulder charge ( subsequent questioning by england) validate this recognition (listen closely)

So Law 8.5(b) should have applied and PK to England been awarded

[LAWS]. (b) If advantage is being played following an infringement by one team and then the other team commit an infringement, the referee blows the whistle and applies the sanctions associated with the first infringement. If either infringement is for foul play, the referee applies the appropriate sanction for that offence. [/LAWS]