Nigel Owens loss of form

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Reading these forums is a bit like sitting down with your assessor......take the bits you find useful and ignore the rest :biggrin:

Not always a good strategy (the assessor bit) for those wishing to progress beyond L8 or 9.

The Match Observer, Referee Coach, Referee relationship is a partnership.

A referee may know his or her unknowns, but he will not know the unknown unknowns, which his MO or RC will have come across before.

I hear or read referees critical of their MO, and an us v them attitude - a shame it happens and sometimes it can be a personality clash.

This us v them is in my experience an historical myth in most cases. The MO and RC are there to help the referees's development and progress, so make the most of it rather than "ignore the rest" some of which may be why you are stuck at a particular grade level or experiencing extra management challenges.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just watching Crusaders v England

Nigel does not look well.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
How so Ian?

Will watch the game itself later

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just watching Crusaders v England

Nigel does not look well.
I saw the game, and didn't see him looking any worse than usual. His face is certainly looking more ... experienced these days

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How so Ian?

Will watch the game itself later

Nigel is fit (he has to be as an iRB ref) but he appeared to be short of breath quite a bit, what we call "sucking in the big ones".

I don't think we has his "chipper" self either.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
been a long season and I'm guessing he's clocked some airmiles this "year" maybe he needs a bit of RnR but I'm guessing a ref at his level gets very little time off? I assume he'll be back down south for the Champ games soon, with a few S15 games to get up to speed first?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
He looked unwell/tired last saturday as AR...

didds

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
i have some sympathy with the article - I find the go slow approach to forming scrums and lineouts is ever so tedious, both when I am watching and when I am reffing ... I want them to just get on with it FFS

You have the tools to chivvy it along a bit quicker, peep!, gtee that any team that has been procrastinating will organise quicker thereafter.

We won't see it on TV for the lineout huddle-cuddle-plan though, same as we rarely see QTI preventions penalised. That's showbiz folks.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm guessing a ref at his level gets very little time off?
They only work one day a week, for goodness sake! Don't often see them doing the U.15s on a Sunday.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Ah yes but Sir Nige does, if you follow him on any of the social media sites you'll know he refs a couple of junior matches a week (when not travelling) and if not reffin then he's coaching/doing openings/at iRB type things, agree this is not as strenuous at reffin a Test Match, but he's not sat at home with his pipe and slippers!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ah yes but Sir Nige does, if you follow him on any of the social media sites you'll know he refs a couple of junior matches a week (when not travelling) and if not reffin then he's coaching/doing openings/at iRB type things, agree this is not as strenuous at reffin a Test Match, but he's not sat at home with his pipe and slippers!

plus he is a presenter on welsh TV programme

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
They only work one day a week, for goodness sake! Don't often see them doing the U.15s on a Sunday.

You think he stays fit and on top of his game by doing nothing other than refereeing one game a week?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Dixie: please use the sarcasm emoticon otherwise people will actually think you're serious.

Dear God.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
From NO's Facebook page:

Good game of rugby last nite Crusaders v England. Well done all Was a pleasure to ref. Thats me done for the season now. AR Sat then feet up. Been a long but enjoyable season.

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The main thing I noticed with NO is that he very rarely calls the not releasing on the offensive team. I mean the number of times I've seen poaching players holding on to the ball for 2+ seconds before someone runs in, unbound, and launches off their feet to prevent the poach, all with no call is huge. It's my biggest issue with his refereeing. I guess it's a continuity issue, but I feel like the defensive team is always at a disadvantage with him as a ref.

- - - Updated - - -

The main thing I noticed with NO is that he very rarely calls the not releasing on the offensive team. I mean the number of times I've seen poaching players holding on to the ball for 2+ seconds before someone runs in, unbound, and launches off their feet to prevent the poach, all with no call is huge. It's my biggest issue with his refereeing. I guess it's a continuity issue, but I feel like the defensive team is always at a disadvantage with him as a ref.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
thought he had a good game in crusaders v england. good rapport with the players ... he does look tired though.

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thats me done for the season now. AR Sat then feet up. [/I]

Sounds like he will be just going through the motions on Saturday. Is that the mindset we want from 1 of the team of 3 in a Test?