[Golden Oldies] Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So anyhoo

What should become of Billy V ?

A very interesting question. At the moment we do not know exactly what he was 'liking'. The views being expressed? The person expressing them? All unclear (although it doesn't look great so far).

Investigation then possible ban (depending on how he justifies the 'like').

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well actually we know a lot .. BV wrote a long post explaining ..

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Well actually we know a lot .. BV wrote a long post explaining ..

and i genuinely had a tear in my eye when i read the story about the crowd reaction when he came off the bench for Sarries against Bristol. i think just that reaction shows what the english rugby public think of his views.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Saracens warn Billy Vunipola about future conduct
Mark McCall said:
"The player has been formally warned about his future conduct.
BBC Sports

Looks like ERC semifinal was more important to the club than making an example of him. To justify his support for such homophobic comments, by saying it is to do with his belief in God, is nonsense. The player’s charter mentions Respect, no mention of God in there as far as I remember.

[LAWS]Respect
Respect for team-mates, opponents, match officials and those involved in the game is paramount.[/LAWS]
BV is bringing the game into disrepute just as much as IF. Wonder if he will get any stick from the traveling support on Saturday. Even if he doesn’t, he bloody deserves some.

Last edited:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
does he deserve some stick from supporters? absobloodylutely. should he have been dropped / suspended for a first offence? no, probably not.

based on nothing more than the article posted above, i think saracens have got the reaction right. essentially a written warning.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
[LAWS]Wonder if he will get any stick from the traveling support on Saturday. Even if he doesn’t, he bloody deserves some.

this. this with bells, and brass knobs, on.

key will be how he responds. if he doubles down, as Folau did, then i hope he never plays for England again. it's not like we have no other back row options, maybe Ben Morgan's world cup dream lives on!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So should we all be allowed to divulge our employer's commercially sensitive company information ?

didds

of course not. Freedom of speech is about forming & expressing opinions without fear of being persecuted for it. This is different (somewhat obviously I would have thought) to divulging our employer's commercially sensitive company information.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Geez you rugbyrefs guys know a bunch about freedom of speech. I gotta tell you that I'm afraid to like or dislike any posts, I might be found out.

Best keep to myself. I do a lot myself.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think it is both of those (is it a fair and reasonable contract)
It's also a collision of values ...

When you work for a company whose public policy is inclusiveness, then its fair and reasonable to contract employees to not go against that policy.

If you don't like what is in the contract, don't sign it, and go find another place of employment.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Geez you rugbyrefs guys know a bunch about freedom of speech. I gotta tell you that I'm afraid to like or dislike any posts, I might be found out.

Best keep to myself. I do a lot myself.

make sure you bottle it all up, stew over it for a few years, then go postal. (just joking of course)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
and i genuinely had a tear in my eye when i read the story about the crowd reaction when he came off the bench for Sarries against Bristol. i think just that reaction shows what the english rugby public think of his views.

I think the best bit was Bristol's DJ playing "It's raining men".

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

Was that before or after they learned he was a closet bigot?

didds

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Looks like Folau hasn't, in fact, been sacked ..

Israel Folau given 48 hours to 'accept sanction' after Rugby Australia breach notice

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...notice?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Nope, the Guardian has characterised this incorrectly. Folau has been sacked. He has 48 hours to appeal that decision

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/sport/387120/israel-folau-sacked-given-48-hours-to-appeal

If the appeal fails, the decision to sack him stands...that 48 hours expires at 2pm AEST tomorrow.

Even if he does appeal, if he tries pushing it too hard, he could be in some legal jeopardy if the authorities become involved. All it will take is for just one LGBTQ+ employee of Rugby Australia to make an official complaint to the NSW Police, and it could trigger this....

[LAWS]The NSW Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 (Section 49ZT) states: “It is unlawful for a person, by a public act, to incite hatred towards, serious contempt for, or severe ridicule of, a person or group of persons on the ground of the homosexuality of the person or members of the group”.[/LAWS]

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Its difficult to see how he hasnt already breached that NSW law?

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Despite being apologetic, Billy Vunipola hasn’t deleted his offending Instagram post. I say he hasn’t changed his stance, actions not words Billy boy. Saying you are sorry doesn’t count for anything, if your actions show clearly you don’t give a #@*k.

Unlike Israel Folau, who can readily get a contact in Aussie rules, or rugby league, B Vunipola may live to regret his unrepentant stance. Rugby Union is a small enough community.

Last edited:

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Is there a version of the ACLU in Australia? Perhaps it is called the ACLU, by chance.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Despite being apologetic, Billy Vunipola hasn’t deleted his offending Instagram post. I say he hasn’t changed his stance, actions not words Billy boy. Saying you are sorry doesn’t count for anything, if your actions show clearly you don’t give a #@*k.

Unlike Israel Folau, who can readily get a contact in Aussie rules, or rugby league, B Vunipola may live to regret his unrepentant stance. Rugby Union is a small enough community.

NRL have already said they won't take him

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Surely if BV regrets his Instagram post, he would already have deleted it.
During the meeting the player expressed genuine regret at his public comments and understood that he had caused hurt and offence as a result of his actions.

"He has been reminded of his responsibilities as an England player and as an ambassador for the game, which values inclusivity and respect."