Northampton v Exeter - Tip tackle

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... it's not just referees that need to underatand the tip tacle memo, also coaches players and (ideally) pundits and journalists. Including all those new to the game since 2009.
If you look at the IRB website, there is some seriously obscure stuff on there. Eg just picking one at random, there is a write up about the Paraguay v Venezuela qualifying game for the 2015 RWC. So it does seem strange that something as important as the tip tackle memo, isn't even in the Laws & Regulations section.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i could be corrected but I don't think the 2009 memo is on the IRB site, or RFU site, nor can I find it London Society site, nor Hampshire Society site.

maybe in hampshire you include it in a bundle of useful documents to all new refs since 2009? otherwise I am not entirely clear how you expect any ref that has joined in the last three years to have seen it?
(and let's face it, if there is a new-refs bundle, that would be really useful - why wouldn't that be on your site?)

here on rugbyrefs while the text of the 2009 memo can be found (in the wiki) sadly, the actual PDF issued by IRB (which is really what's wanted to have full IRB authenticity) is missing. (I'll fix that by uploading it again this evening)

so i would it's certainly not well communicated.
as you say no doubt everyone has been dealing with more important things.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
i could be corrected but I don't think the 2009 memo is on the IRB site, or RFU site, nor can I find it London Society site, nor Hampshire Society site.

crossref

You are not a member of our Society, and so excluded from such secret squirrel documents. :biggrin:

Actually we have had to date a fully open web site with no security whatsoever to keep it all in the public domain.
But with a helpful web design company, we are doing a re-design and reload. I have been culling all sorts of material and pages recently before we switch to the new site, and suspect this document is off the current site. I haven't got time to check, so glad you have a copy already !

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I did offer you all that for free, plus hosting (i give you the site, you populate it). Some people just prefer spending money :)

Crossref, you mentioned the PDF before, it is on there I am sure, but not linked to the article, I'll add it now.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I did offer you all that for free, plus hosting (i give you the site, you populate it).
I only saw the memo on this site. The problem however is what percentage of referees even know this site exists?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Then they found out crossref had breached security and had to remove it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm sure it did appear on the IRB site, for about a week.

here's a curious thing abou the 2009 memo

- in Jan 2011 the IRB issued a memo on dangerous high tackles. Here it is

- note that the Jan 2011 memo contained a reference to the previous Jun 2009 memo (on tip tackles)

- In February 2011 the IRB loaded up the 2011 memo on to their website Here it is

- you'll note there is a difference between the Jan and February versions. It is this : in the February version the reference to the 2009 memo has been removed.

All The Time Ref - if you noticed the 2009 memo on the IRB website, I'd speculate that you looked in Jan 2011....

I have a feeling that - for some reason - the IRB are not entirely comfortable with the wording of the 2009 memo, and the omission from the website isn't an accident.

To make things even MORE confusing, in August 2011 the IRB issued a new memo that replaced the Jan/Feb memo, and introduced the concept of 'dangerous grasping'

- the text of the August 2011 memo is here . I don't have a PDF of it (the PDF linked to is the January one).
- The August 2011 memo again makes reference to the 2009 memo
- The August 2011 memo is not on the IRB website.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You missed out the shooter on the grassy knoll memo? :wink:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
There was no shooter on the grassy knoll.

In fact it now appears that the grassy knoll itself didn't exist, it was actually a green UFO.

Now - I haven't checked this, but I am confident that this is theory put forward in all seriousness, by someone somewhen. Or may become one.