Northampton v Exeter - Tip tackle

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Plus - the guy should have gone for yellow anyway earlier for pro foul offence (slapping ball away on quick tap)
as should Dom Waldouck(sp??) who killed Exeter ball

Yes, both of those should have been yellow.

I found myself in the horrible position of having to agree with Stuart Barnes :wow:

john

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
GJ van Velze cited for the tackle and will face the disciplinary panel tomorrow afternoon.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
i'll stand by my original stance and predict that, due to no (or minimal) lift, he won't cop a ban.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
it was a red card for me, enough force in it and tipped upside down - not just beyond the horizontal. 2-3 week ban in my opinion, it needs eradicating, force or not it is still dangerous play

john

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Van Velze has been banned for 4 weeks for his dangerous tackle after pleading guilty to the offence. Free to play from October 10th.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
and i stand corrected.

(again)

LankyStreak

Referees in England
Post Likes
Red for me at the time, red for me now, red all day long.

The reaction on here is mixed but the reality is that the tackle went beyond the horizontal and the tackler did drive him into the ground with his weight following through. The tackled player's neck took the impact with the ground. If Chudley had broken his neck, which could well have happened as a result of this tackle, my guess is not one single person would have argued for a yellow card on this post. I agree with a previous comment - this needs to be eradicated. If YC's are issued for this it will keep happening until a neck is broken.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Like LankyStreak - red, red, red. It was an illegal tackle, it was dangerous and was exactly what the iRB are trying to eliminate.

Good on him for pleading guilty and taking his punishment.

I would expect, and be very disappointed if not, that an such tackle on a Saturday or Sunday in Hampshire would get a red card without any hesitation, whether it be a Society or Club Referee.

That any of you on here thing otherwise about a real world event (not a theoretical law wording debate) suprises me.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
It is certainly one of the clearest direction the IRB have given out.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It is certainly one of the clearest direction the IRB have given out.

except they still haven't, actually, given it out.

It's STILL not on the IRB website where it should be , with similar messages http://www.irblaws.com/EN/guidelines/

yes, yes, Phil, i know, no doubt it's cascaded in face to face sessions at meetings, but all that is so nineteenth century.
It should be on the website. I suspect the reason it isn't is that the IRB STILL aren't entirely comfortable with it.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
crossref - that is b*llocks.

The IRB sent to it to all Unions, and in England the RFU sent it to all CBs (and hence all clubs from there) and to Societies (and Panel & Group) and via RFU Refs Dept it went to all Club Referee Developnent Managers, and to Club Referee Co-ordinators.

If your club's secretary, or your CRefDev Manager did not receive it (is their Rugby First email record up to date ?), or pass it on to you, then blame them not the IRB.

I got it a number of times cc'd on various Hampshire CB/ REfDevMgr/RDO mailing lists which are pretty exhaustive. If that doesn't happen with your club / your CrefC with London Society and Middlesex I am sorry, but you are the exception not the rule.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Although having a central and easily accessible repository where all of these things can be found and read would be good practice.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
crossref - that is b*llocks. The IRB sent to it to all Unions, and in England the RFU sent it to all CBs (and hence all clubs from there) and to Societies (and Panel & Group) and via RFU Refs Dept it went to all Club Referee Developnent Managers, and to Club Referee Co-ordinators. If your club's secretary, or your CRefDev Manager did not receive it (is their Rugby First email record up to date ?), or pass it on to you, then blame them not the IRB.
I got it a number of times cc'd on various Hampshire CB/ REfDevMgr/RDO mailing lists which are pretty exhaustive.
Wouldn't it just be easier for everyone if the IRB stuck it on their website as well?

The more people there are in any communication chain, the more likely it is that that chain will fail somewhere.

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The new RFU Development Dept are planning both a reference library and on-line training materials on www.rfu.com.

DaveT - in an ideal world IRB and RFU would have it all stored of course, and easy to find but it was distributed at the time. And loaded to lots of Society Web Sites and on here !

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i simply can't begin to understand why you guys so aggressively defend IRB and RFU communication policies that that involve NOT putting important guidelines on their website.

it's not just referees that need to underatand the tip tacle memo, also coaches players and (ideally) pundits and journalists.

Including all those new to the game since 2009.

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
It should be on the website. I suspect the reason it isn't is that the IRB STILL aren't entirely comfortable with it.
I agree. Hopefully, if they employ an adult instead of their normal YTS 12 year-old, they will gain a degree of confidence in this new-fangled internet stuff.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
crossref - that is b*llocks.

The IRB sent to it to all Unions, and in England the RFU sent it to all CBs (and hence all clubs from there) and to Societies (and Panel & Group) and via RFU Refs Dept it went to all Club Referee Developnent Managers, and to Club Referee Co-ordinators.

If your club's secretary, or your CRefDev Manager did not receive it (is their Rugby First email record up to date ?), or pass it on to you, then blame them not the IRB.

I got it a number of times cc'd on various Hampshire CB/ REfDevMgr/RDO mailing lists which are pretty exhaustive. If that doesn't happen with your club / your CrefC with London Society and Middlesex I am sorry, but you are the exception not the rule.
Defensive drivel. The iRB also made the LoTG available through bookshops, but you still find an electronic version on the website.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Dixie - actually the interweb is probably better understood by the 12 year olds - get adults to draft the Laws and the kids can ensure that no-one in the world can hide from them.

The problem seem to be that they have it the wrong way round.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
cross ref - I am not defending anything, just stating the facts of what happens.

We have two autocratic organisations (IRB and RFU), who are used to making unilateral decisions for most of their existence. The digital age has overtaken them, and in some ways they have used that well, in others they are years behind.

Over the last few years they have both made massive steps in their internal and external communications, and slowly recognise that a 'need to know' policy is not the best one to adopt. However they still have quite a way to go (evidenced by this summer's RFU events re Refs Dept, and last year's CEO / Chairman debacles).

Both RFU and IRB have been through massive structural and focus changes in the last five years. The IRB Web Site and range of services provided have changed out of all recognition. The Laws and Clarifications/Rulings are there, but not the David C memos or guidelines - yes they should be, but there have no doubt been other priorities.