[Law] Pre-match chat with captains

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Taff's post was edited , after my reply to it , was it not???

His quote is the same in your reply to him. But possibly you read it, noticed the difference, and then responded later without noticing a subsequent edit?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Remember one of the refs here tell us about losing his voice and managing C B S with little peeps on the whistle

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Captains have heard it all before, that said you still have a brief opportunity to get a minor point over cus they aint listening anyway!

But as other will have said, at least if you cover a point you can still use it as an escalation within the game, i.e. "we agreed before the game that XYZ" :nono:

I cover:

Discipline - it's their responsibility as the captain, if they don't deal with it then i will
Appealing for decisions - there's a difference between someone talking their way through a match and shouting at me and i won't stand for the second one
Clarifications - Happy to clarify any decisions, once the ball is dead, if you want to discuss it, in the bar afterwards, mine's an Orange Juice and Lemonade :wink:
Subs - make sure i know when they're happening and i need to know if FR subs are technical or injuries.

Home capt tosses the coin.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
daft question time!

who is the "home captain" at things like cup finals played on a neutral ground?

didds

Usually designated in at the draw.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Taff's post was edited , after my reply to it , was it not???

I quoted your reply and Taff's post from within that so no it was not from the point of comparing you and Taff's comment

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I spend 20 seconds on housekeeping and 2 minutes explaining the choices when you've won the toss! Thick t***ts! :)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
daft question time!

who is the "home captain" at things like cup finals played on a neutral ground?

didds

The team that's listed first in the fixture is the home team.

i.e. Cup Final - Team A v Team B....Team A is the home team.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Brief to 'Captains'

I am her to enjoy myself.
I won't tell any of your players how to play rugby.
I don't expect them to tell me how to referee.
I will explain a decision, but I won't debate it.

Home team toss.
Away team call it in the air.

Winner can kick or choose ends.
Loser gets the option not chosen.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I spend 20 seconds on housekeeping and 2 minutes explaining the choices when you've won the toss! Thick t***ts! :)

and what must be annoying especially is that

1) you know you've had the same explanations to the same captain before
2) you know your fellow refs have also done this with him/them EVERY WEEK!

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Loser gets the option not chosen.

that's a bit misleading though as the loser only gets an option if the winner decides to kick. In that case the loser gets to make a choice of end

If the winner chooses an end then there is no choice for the loser to make.

It's an odd system, and it was only after I started to ref that I understood it. All my life until then I was under the impression that if the winner chose an end, the loser could decide whether to kick or not, and I have to say that would make more sense to me.

I am not surprised that captains get confused.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Please can you explain? Not sure I understand this. Thanks.

At the point of blowing for a penalty, the team have options: they can take a quick tap, go for the posts, choose a scrum, (etc), and in the new ruleset this season can choose which penalty mark to take from if there are multiple.

It's the captain's privilege to call the option. If the scrumhalf takes a quick tap and sprints off with the ball, however, I will consider the option chosen and the penalty taken on the captain's behalf. It's maybe not necessary, but I've had to explain it a couple of times in-game so I just remind them that they're responsible for letting me know before someone on their team chooses for them.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
that's a bit misleading though as the loser only gets an option if the winner decides to kick. In that case the loser gets to make a choice of end

If the winner chooses an end then there is no choice for the loser to make.

It's an odd system, and it was only after I started to ref that I understood it. All my life until then I was under the impression that if the winner chose an end, the loser could decide whether to kick or not, and I have to say that would make more sense to me.

I am not surprised that captains get confused.

Eh? Am I doing this wrong?!? Surely if the winner choses the end the loser gets to chose to kick or receive, and vice-versa, to at least they do in my games ? Got to ask why as it's not obvious?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Eh? Am I doing this wrong?!? Surely if the winner choses the end the loser gets to chose to kick or receive, and vice-versa, to at least they do in my games ? Got to ask why as it's not obvious?

and what must be annoying especially is that

1) you know you've had the same explanations to the same captain before
2) you know your fellow refs have also done this with him/them EVERY WEEK!

didds

And the law:
At the start of the game, the team whose captain elected to take the kick after winning the toss will kick off, or the opposing team if the winning captain elected to choose an end.

So Didds, no clearly they aren't hearing the same thing every week!

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

At the start of the game, the team whose captain elected to take the kick after winning the toss will kick off, or the opposing team if the winning captain elected to choose an end.

Hmm, ok, still begs the question of why? Or is it that obvious that I just can't see it?!?

So, scenarios:

- Winner chooses to kick, who chooses ends, *assume* it's the losing captain - doesn't actually specify?
- Winner chooses ends, loser kicks off

Also, being pedantic, do we actually change ends at half time, we reference a choice of ends at the start, but no mention of changing at the interval that I can see? :chin::D

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Eh? Am I doing this wrong?!?

Yes.

Ref: kick or choose ends.
Winner: we will kick
Ref to loser: which end do you want to start from.

OR

Ref: kick or choose ends.
Winner: we will start at this end.
Ref to loser: you will kick off.

........and yes you change ends at half time. Law 5.2 At half time the teams change ends.

[LAWS]6.A.3 DUTIES OF THE REFEREE BEFORE THE MATCH
(a) Toss. The referee organises the toss. One of the captains tosses a coin and the other
captain calls to see who wins the toss. The winner of the toss decides whether to kick off or
to choose an end. If the winner of the toss decides to choose an end, the opponents must
kick off and vice versa.[/LAWS]

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

so yes, you're doing it wrong. (As did I for about three seasons, and no one ever complained so I don't think you are the only one)

[LAWS]6.A.3 Duties of the referee before the match
(a) Toss. The referee organises the toss. One of the captains tosses a coin and the other captain calls to see who wins the toss. The winner of the toss decides whether to kick off or to choose an end. If the winner of the toss decides to choose an end, the opponents must kick off and vice versa.[/LAWS]

I don't know why they specified this strange method

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Oh well, learn something new every day. Have to say it seems very odd that in one scenario the loser gets a choice too, and in the other they don't :chin: