Question mark after the tackle.

Andy P

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Had a couple of Junior coaches saying how they are coaching the tackled player to assume a question mark shape once tackled. The player is head towards the opposition, rolls to on to one side and pushes the ball back along the body and through the legs that have been pulled up slightly. If they were chest down, it would be squeeze ball as the ball passes between the knees.

The ball is protected from the opposition trying to play the ball as one of the tackled players legs is over the ball. For me it doesn't seem right but I can't put a law to it. It doesn't seem right to me from a coaching position either as it leaves the players head unprotected in the wrong side of a ruck.

Thoughts?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
as with squeeze ball at adults level I want to see the ball available immediately. Any suggestion of ball protection or 'cocooning' then PK.

as a concept for youth players, I find it a dangerous and negative approach.

Chunky Charvis

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Penalty for "not releasing" if it prevents fair contest. Also, are they doing this every time they are tackled, or just when they want to buy more time for their support? It would slow their own ball down...

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I agree, penalty for not releasing if it prevents opposition getting the ball, and word with captain and coach about why you will not allow it, and if they persist you will view it as a team offence and deal with it accordingly.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree, penalty for not releasing if it prevents opposition getting the ball, and word with captain and coach about why you will not allow it, and if they persist you will view it as a team offence and deal with it accordingly.

would you bring the coach on to the field to do this?
it's a serious question, I'm never quite sure with younger kids if/when I should ever be talking to the coach during a game.....

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
For juniors, certainly. They need to understand as it's a serious safety concern.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
andy...be sure to be at the breakdown and get that ball immediately available and you as the ref can stop the practice.

Andy P

Player or Coach
Post Likes
I may be refereeing their team on Sunday, so thanks for the feedback.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Crap coaching technique.

I assume he wants them head to oposition to minimise the width of the gate? Can't think of any other reason.

Far better to get the tackled player to fight to get his head to his own team, feet to the opposition, then reaching out above his head to place the ball. Gate minimum width, ball as far from the opposition as possible.

Re: ball through legs. Remember holding on, isn't just with the hands.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
totally agree with phil. the presentation he describes maximises ball distance from opposition and minimises gate width, but also provides max space forruckers to clear without concerning theselves with boots on bodies, stepping over etc.

This qustion mark thing seems to be a bit of a half way house frankly, dreamt up by somebody who seems to think that it isn't squeezeball and isn't leaving hands on. Trapping the ball under a leg is not leaving it available to be played IMO.

didds

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have come across this a couple of times this season and on the first time on each occasion I have blown for squeezeball. This decision has always been followed by a call from the coach that this referee will not allow it, so change. I had not thought about it before seeing his thread - no coach has brought the subject up after the game and I am now interested in the views of the masses on here!!!

NM

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Tackled player must not prevent the opposition accessing the ball.

Penalise, and if it prevents good quick ball for opposition then yellow card it.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would also suggest a PK, but for tackled player not rolling away rather than for not releasing. As described,the tackled player does both place and release the ball.

I would speak to the players about what you want, rather than inviting the coach onto the field. They are plenty old enough at U.13 to understand and react to what you want, and inviting the coach on also invites an unwelcome discussion about whether your interpretation or his is correct. You MUST talk to the coach, but after the game is the time to do it.