Recommendation?

Would you recommend RugbyRefs.com to your fellow referees?

• Total voters

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
The best advertising a site like this can get is word of mouth.

I would like to conduct a straw poll to find out how many people would or do recommend the site to other referees in their societies and associations?

And more importantly, if not, why not, and what do you feel is missing in order to gain that recommendation?

Casey Bee

Referees in England
Post Likes
I recommend anyone with any interest in rugby to this site. Refs, coaches, players, spectators. I know people have visited as they have quoted threads in which I've been involved. This has actually prompted me to change user name (to something other than my proper name) as small town rugby community might pick up some of the references etc which might not sit well.
Anyway, I am now safely anonymous and happily tell anyone to look up info on here. It's an excellent source of knowledge, though I fear other than the hardy, people may not take notice as it tells them the truth... something that many would rather not hear...

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am a CRefC and I often refer our club refs to this site
-- sometimes to a specific thread eg if something that comes up at the club has already been discussed here
-- sometimes just in general terms
-- I have also put a link to the site on the refereee section of our club's website

But I have to say people aren't as interested as one might think: I think that out there in club-ref land there are many referees who are in 40s and 50s and don't really 'do' internet message boards, and don't connect them with real life. (They probably aren't on facebook either, apart from the profile their teenage children set up for them in 2009 which they have forgotten how to access)

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
There are a couple of refs in my society that already know about RR.com. One of them only came to light after he went to a meeting we'd both attended.

If anyone asks me I do give this website address, but I admit I don't advertise it openly because I don't want my colleagues I see week in and week out to think I don't know the laws etc. I'm far more likely to recommend it to a ref from outside of my immediate area, but obviously I don't see as many of those.

Perhaps if I was more confident of the laws / experienced I would openly (and willingly) advertise it more.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I wonder if it could be "advertised" on referee websites around the world?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I got to RRC via LRL which had a link from my Society's WS.
I have reccommended it to others but haven't seen anyone post I'd recognise.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
I wonder if it could be "advertised" on referee websites around the world?
I've asked them all!

Up to them now.

Most still wrongly link to LRL instead of LRUL, despite all being emailed, twice.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Would you recommend RugbyRefs.com to your fellow referees?

I've voted, 'Yes, I always do', anyway.:clap:

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Chopper,

The site is primarily for referees, however, as you are aware, we more than welcome supporters (like yourself & scrumpox) coach (Like Didds) and players if they want to question, debate and learn about the game at our levels.

Thanks for recommending the site. (And to everyone else that does).

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
scrumpox is a Club Referee at my home club, and also a Hampshire Society referee - though restricted in matches he can do due to his coaching commitments.

KML1, Didds and I have regularly recommended RRF to our colleagues, and I mentioned it even in my Chairman's retirement speech last Monday at the AGM.

Last edited:

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
scrumpox is a Club Referee at my home club, and also a Hampshire Society referee - though restricted in matches he can do due to his coaching commitments.

KML1, Didds and I have regularly recommended RRF to our colleagues, and I mentioned it even in my Chairman's retirement speech last Monday at the AGM.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I mention the forum to the candidates on my referees' training courses.

I am concerned that the LRUL link isnt up to date though. Has this now been fully revised with 2011 laws Robbie?

I did mention it at a Society meeting once and got told, "be careful on there, you will get advice from non qualified people". At least they knew about it though.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I shall wear my polo shirt to the Assessor's Course at the National Sweet 16s, so some nice free advertising there :)

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
I did mention it at a Society meeting once and got told, "be careful on there, you will get advice from non qualified people". At least they knew about it though.

. . . why on earth would the few non-qualified members on this site give advice, or even dare to, on reffing techniques if they've never had experience of it?

With due respect to your society members, Phil, you would have to be particularly gullible to swallow that line. What was their reaction when you explained?:sad:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
. . . why on earth would the few non-qualified members on this site give advice, or even dare to, on reffing techniques if they've never had experience of it?

Maybe they were talking about you :rolleyes:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Hi Robert,
Cracking site. The only reason I don't recommend it to other people at the club, is that there's no point, they all speak French. So the discussions on here would be of limited interest to any of the referees or coaches I meet. There is a French site for referees, but it's got zero traffic.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Hi Robert,
Cracking site. The only reason I don't recommend it to other people at the club, is that there's no point, they all speak French. So the discussions on here would be of limited interest to any of the referees or coaches I meet. There is a French site for referees, but it's got zero traffic.

Cue Robert investigating automatic translation plugins/bots that create a sister www.les_refs_du_rugby.fr website :)

didds

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Maybe a couple of french forums inherent for them?

If there is interest. I have no issue with that.