Ref Loses the Plot

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
The referee (a senior 6ft 4in player from Malaga Rugby Club), spotted a late tackle ... ran towards the 16-year-old .. player ... and threw a full punch into the face of the boy – the sound of the crunch clearly heard in the grandstand. .. The referee then threw his whistle to the ground muttering “I don’t want to be a referee anymore” ...

Just as well really, beacause after that punch I don't think he'd be allowed to referee again anyway. :biggrin:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Anyone else think this doesn't sound like a real referee? More like aparent who referees juniors at his club (I'm assuming not as organised as the professionally run club outfits that are in the UK) who lost the plot.

I hope the police charge him with not only assualt but child abuse too. Completely unacceptable.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
"It later transpired that the Malaga back who had been late-tackled was the son of the referee."

Maybe one good reason to never coach or referee one's own offspring... you're too close.

(No offense intended to anybody that does I hasten to add!)

didds

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hi. I live in Malaga.

I'll try and get some more info.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Referee wearing tracksuit and trainers - all the warning signs were there. It was an aberration waiting to happen!

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Referee wearing tracksuit and trainers - all the warning signs were there. It was an aberration waiting to happen!

his clothes and shoes tell you that he's prone to punch unsuspecting kids?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Now if had been a shellsuit and trainers....

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
disgraceful - fully endorse Robbie's sentiments.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
"It later transpired that the Malaga back who had been late-tackled was the son of the referee." Maybe one good reason to never coach or referee one's own offspring... you're too close.
Funnily enough, that crossed my mind when I read it. I've not reffed my boy yet, and I'd like to think it wouldn't affect me one bit .... but you don't know how you're going to react to a certain situation till you're in it.

I don't think I'd deck a 17yr old though. :biggrin:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i have a suspicion that it can also go both ways --as well as being protective of their own son, equally I suspect there are for more instances of Dads giving a RC to their own son than pure chance would predict.

Pure chance would think it was very rare, as RCs are very rare, and if your son played in every single game you ever reffed he would receive about 1 in 36 cards (30+6 subs) of the RC you issued..

I bet very few refs heve given 36 RCs in their entire career, let alone 36 RC in games where their son was playing..

Yet RC to own son does happen - - I can remember one or two threads here where it has happened.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
i have a suspicion that it can also go both ways --as well as being protective of their own son, equally I suspect there are for more instances of Dads giving a RC to their own son than pure chance would predict.

Pure chance would think it was very rare, as RCs are very rare, and if your son played in every single game you ever reffed he would receive about 1 in 36 cards (30+6 subs) of the RC you issued..

I bet very few refs heve given 36 RCs in their entire career, let alone 36 RC in games where their son was playing..

Yet RC to own son does happen - - I can remember one or two threads here where it has happened.

I will own up to a YC. If he could've punched it would been a RC.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
his clothes and shoes tell you that he's prone to punch unsuspecting kids?
If you leave the trailer park without changing your clothes, then you may forget you're not on the trailer park when you need to make a decision about how to respond to non-benign activity. Thank goodness he didn't pull a gun!

(Oh - it was Spain, not US. Still ......)

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I have been unable to get any info. My contacts know nothing at all. Maybe 'cos they played for another club and also stopped playing a couple of years ago.

No rugby blogs have mentioned it, but maybe 'cos the rugby blog on the local newspaper has no entries since last autumn. Also, no info on local newspapers -none expected to be truthful-, except for the one running the story (Olive Press, English written - Axarquia based paper).

As for the photos, I'd be cautious about them. They one on the top may well be from the match -right teams, venue and probably age- but not the bottom ones. I'd also say it seems to me quite risky to print the photos and the accusation without the referee been the one accused.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If you change "son" to "child" then you get to include ST!

well she was hardly a child by then Dixie, as she was 18 (playing for Alton), in the Welsh Women's Squad, and traded serious post engagement multiple landing punches with the England prop (playing for Wasps) after a previous fracas and my warning to them both to behave. Blood was drawn on both of them and they had to go.

I had to referee (with Wasps Coach's full approval) as appointed referee had a car accident on his way to the match.

spikeno10

Player or Coach
Post Likes
I have given my son a RC in a Colts game. There is indeed a thread relating to this.
Was an interesting Sunday lunch.....

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Dose not getting spoken to for a week constitute abuse?