Rugby union's referees left exposed

macleod33

Referees in Finland
Post Likes
At least in Fance, we haven't got that problem. The "hit" isn't allowed at amateur level (apart from Fed 1 - 3rd division). From a legal point of view, I doubt that the FFR could be sued. I don't understand why the RFU doesn't modify their law.
Concerning the referees, we only apply the laws. If the laws are judged dangerous, it's not upto us to modify them. Maybe if the players/refs throughout the UK went on strike, things could change.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
The only point of a strike is affect the profits made by a bad employer.

A strike that saves them money is rather silly and counter productive.

Its a bit like students going on strike - "Striking? Oh, OK. Well we can turn off the lights and the heating, close the library and shut the IT system down for maintenenace a month early - thanks, folk - most helpful."

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
and what would they be campaigning for? an extra episode of countdown each day?

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
We should go back to something like this...

When we used to put scrums down THIS way, we didn't have anywhere near as many problems as we do now.

Also, check out the timing

0:06 sec - Scrum ordered
0:16 sec - scrum engaged and packed (10 seconds)
0:17 sec - ball in -- and straight too! (1 sec)
0:21 sec - ball out (4 sec)

When do you ever see "scrum ordered" to "ball out" in 15 seconds these days!?

Looking at the video, there is still a "hit" there, but it's much less powerful. It all seems so simple really, doesn't it!

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I have a vague memory of Scrum halves shouting " ball coming in now" was that the opposing scrum half who used to do that?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have a vague memory of Scrum halves shouting " ball coming in now" was that the opposing scrum half who used to do that?
No, it was the throwing in scrum half. That was superseded by the hooker tapping when he was ready because the the opposition would not know about that and their scrum half could not tell them fast enough). The counter was for the tight head to try to hold the hooker's hand down, but referees would not allow that. Binding laws were different then.

You may also remember the referee saying "Give a yard, Blue"! or "Right shoulders please, gentlemen."

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Looking at the video, there is still a "hit" there, but it's much less powerful. It all seems so simple really, doesn't it!

I've even seen footage where the scrum forms while the ref is off talking to the #10

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Early in the forum there was reference to the jack-knife case

http://rugbylaw.blogspot.co.nz/has an interesting resume of it
He mentions Vowles and Smoldon, two cases where only the referee was sued. This is surely because such cases always follow the money. The knowledge that the referee was insured meant it was worthwhile suing him, whereas suing anybody else at fault would produce very little.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
You may also remember the referee saying "Give a yard, Blue"! or "Right shoulders please, gentlemen."

I certainly do. And scrums were far better then.