Scottish Rugby Union

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I've got it!
We can call Scotland the country formally know as part of the United Kingdom.
Job done.
Everyone can go home now.....

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
You think this is complicated? I've been doing some family tree research. My father's side is completely Scottish as far as I can tell. On my mother's side, her father was a Jones (Welsh name) but his family was originally from Northern Ireland. My mother's mother's parents married in Glasgow but he was from Northampton and she was from Sligo. My wife was born in Rhodesia to a Scottish father and a Rhodesian mother who herself happened to be born in South Africa to a Scottish father and a Scottish/Dutch mother.

We're all one big happy British family. Well, mostly - some of us are in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

Happy aneurism.
Sounds like you should play for Heinz !

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
This is a serious question. What is the benefit to Scotland of being independent versus the status quo?

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
They get tooooooo.........
wait no.....
oh, yes they get their own........
hmmmmm they don't get that either.

Erm, I don't really know to be honest.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This is a serious question. What is the benefit to Scotland of being independent versus the status quo?

It's not about what's best for Scotland, it's about what's best for Toad of Toad Hall.......AKA Alex Salmon!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
on a serious note : it will be interesting times if there is a 'yes' vote. I am sure we would immediately see a visible armed presence patrolling the perimeter of Faslane ...

and Lossiemouth?
and Leuchars?
and RNAS Prestwick (HMS Gannet - SAR flight)?

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
And Kinloss and fort George. Barry budden.
Arbroath and on and on and on

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
We'll have to wait and see..

The rUK would he in the embarrassing position of having inadvertently lost Scotland .. They would make very sure not to lose anything else

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
we do have the Isle of Man which is crown dependent but self governing and not part of the commonwealth.

But it does compete in the Commonwealth Games, as do Jersey and Guernsey as well as the Home Nations.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

The actual tangible benefit? Questionable. The issue, boiled down, is the right of a nation to self determination and self government.

In short: if we're going to be screwed by a government, can we at least have it be by our own one that we elected.

Now, Unionists will say "but Scotland has a devolved government."
To which the politically astute observer will go "yeah? I don't fancy we'd have ended up in that sandy cluster**** in Iraq if we'd had our own way"

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
No buddy. It's home to Royal Engineers now

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
But it does compete in the Commonwealth Games, as do Jersey and Guernsey as well as the Home Nations.
Wait. Is a soldier trying to confuse a situation? Must be a junior officer (giggle to himself)

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I agree there are a lot of smoke and mirrors on both sides of the arguments (It's politics after all). Political expediency will ensure that the people of Europe see very little change in reality. Don't forget: Whoever you vote for, the government wins.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The actual tangible benefit? Questionable. The issue, boiled down, is the right of a nation to self determination and self government.

In short: if we're going to be screwed by a government, can we at least have it be by our own one that we elected.

Now, Unionists will say "but Scotland has a devolved government."
To which the politically astute observer will go "yeah? I don't fancy we'd have ended up in that sandy cluster**** in Iraq if we'd had our own way"

it's only really independence if they leave the EU.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The UK would he in the embarrassing position of having inadvertently lost Scotland .. They would make very sure not to lose anything else

The Tory Government would he in the embarrassing position of having inadvertently lost Scotland

FTFY :wink:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The Tory Government would he in the embarrassing position of having inadvertently lost Scotland

FTFY :wink:
... but they would also have lost a lot of Labour MPs.