Well, fancy that . . .

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
if a wendyball ref, started carding palyers for effin and jeffin at him, he'd end up with 22 YC's and then where does he go? The other thinhg that would happen is that he'd never ref another top level match, FACT! The players have become bigger than the game.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I read Sarah Crompton's insightful piece this morning on the train and she has got it spot on. And RefLink really is a great rugby achievement.

Although in both rugby and cricket there is far more questioning, dissent etc than there was a decade ago.

I have been to speak at a number of Hampshire's Soccer Refs Societies in the last few years on managing confrontation - there are far more soccer refs than rugby and they have town level Societies of 30-40 members, as well as the umbrella county association. The three big things that came up time and time again were :

1. Give soccer the second free kick additional 10m law.
2. they call you sir, they call us a c**t, w*ank*r, never say thank you etc and we are treated with no respect - the respect campiagn did not work.
3. how can we get rugby's culture back into soccer and reduce the raving touchline parents especially

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the problem is : football is spoiling it for everyone else. football is so high profile, and so well broadcast that its norms and behaviours seep into everything else.

(cricket is a slightly different case -- in cricket the appeal is part of the game. I think I am right in saying that a umpire will make a decision ONLY if there is an appeal (?) so the appealing isn't a clutural/behavioural problem there.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... I have been to speak at a number of Hampshire's Soccer Refs Societies in the last few years on managing confrontation ...
3. how can we get rugby's culture back into soccer and reduce the raving touchline parents especially
In my opinion, you can't.

The attitude of your typical football fan / player is totally different to your typical rugby fan / player.

Changing the attitude for the overwhelming majority of football fans / players would be near impossible IMO.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In my opinion, you can't.

The attitude of your typical football fan / player is totall different to your typical rugby fan / player.

Changing the attitude for the overwhelming majority of football fans / players would be near impossible IMO.
If you change the attitude of the players you should, in the long run, change the attitude of the spectators.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
If you change the attitude of the players you should, in the long run, change the attitude of the spectators.
Which comes first - the spectator or the player?

Either way, I won't be holding my breath.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Which comes first - the spectator or the player?

Either way, I won't be holding my breath.
It doesn't matter. It is (at least in theory :( ) possible to deal with players' attitudes, so let's start with that.

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
What I find interesting is that the same players can behave very differently in the round ball environment. I have been involved in my son's rugby team since they were U8 and they display the respect for the referee that we would all hope to see. A couple of years ago I saw many of the same boys in football match showing surprising levels of dissent to the referee. When questioned they acknowledged the difference in their behavior explaining it basically as the norm in football. Sad.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes

Towards the penalty spot, I presume, Simon?

I'm suprised the law lords didn't allow that choice of advancement in our game towards the posts, particularly when you're too close to the 5m line . . . why should the 10 be lost because of that restriction? Should you happen to be on the 5m line you could even walk the 10 laterally to a more opportune position.:hap:

Is there any formal procedure to pass on this insightful suggestion to the law lords for consideration? I've got a few other 'obvious' ones I could prompt you with.:hap:

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
t
(cricket is a slightly different case -- in cricket the appeal is part of the game. I think I am right in saying that a umpire will make a decision ONLY if there is an appeal (?) so the appealing isn't a clutural/behavioural problem there.

correct - an unpire cdan only give someone out jupon appeal.

though in recent years (certainly the last 30) appealing has gone from sporadic individual excitement to a co-ordinated and choreographed team tactic.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Towards the penalty spot, I presume, Simon?

I'm suprised the law lords didn't allow that choice of advancement in our game towards the posts, particularly when you're too close to the 5m line . . . why should the 10 be lost because of that restriction? Should you happen to be on the 5m line you could even walk the 10 laterally to a more opportune position.:hap:

Is there any formal procedure to pass on this insightful suggestion to the law lords for consideration? I've got a few other 'obvious' ones I could prompt you with.:hap:

I like the idea of the 10m being 10m in the direction of the posts...

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

My undrestanding is that they have it, but choose not to use it (i'll have to check with my father). I think the best one they could take from us would be 10 mins in the bin for a YC.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Towards the penalty spot, I presume, Simon? of course and if it takes them inside the penalty box, it becomes a penalty. It was discussed I believe but FIFA threw it out

I'm suprised the law lords didn't allow that choice of advancement in our game towards the posts, particularly when you're too close to the 5m line . . . why should the 10 be lost because of that restriction? Should you happen to be on the 5m line you could even walk the 10 laterally to a more opportune position.:hap: not a bad idea - 10m in any direction is a nice option

Is there any formal procedure to pass on this insightful suggestion to the law lords for consideration? I've got a few other 'obvious' ones I could prompt you with.:hap yes, as usual thru Society or CB, to country Union Laws Committee, and thence to IRB. I would doubt such a proposal would be voted through at all three stages to get as far as IRB. Part of any proposal would need to assess the impact of such a change - for example at different levels of the Game, how would success % to get the 3 points change, what % of kicks to corner for line-out and drive for a try would switch to a posts option if they coiuld go in 10m, plus an overall stats analysis of where on average on the pitch are PKs given and what is impact in each cluster/type/area of a 10m sideways option, etc.

GeorgeR

Facebook Member
Post Likes
We do have the penalty try option if approprate and I have used it a number of times as a result of deliberate foul play preventing a try from 5m penalties.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
One of the issues with the 'advancing it 10m' idea, as I understand it, was that for some free kciks, you need a longer distance to get the ball up, over the wall, and back down. The advancing actually made that more difficult to accomplish.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
One of the issues with the 'advancing it 10m' idea, as I understand it, was that for some free kciks, you need a longer distance to get the ball up, over the wall, and back down. The advancing actually made that more difficult to accomplish.
If the wall has to be 10m back from the spot of the kick, then the kicker retiring a couple of metres may be very effective. There may need to be special rules where the kick is outside the penalty area but the wall would be inside it.

But that is just fine tuning.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Another thing to think of is what effect would it have on the rest of the game ie would it help create a running game?

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
The 10m was used in the EPL once against Manchester united, it was removed from the EPL after this.

I believe the lower leagues have it, but again, it's rarely used.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Soccer Refs deserve everything they get as they are spineless.
As far as I am aware foul and abusive language are yellow and red card offences in soccer.
All the have to do is apply the rules and the problen would be solved.
Many years ago, I an my mates RL and RU used to play Sunday league soccer and of course were never booked. and often laughed at for calling the ref sir, but players were sent off for Foul and abusive language so why don't they still do it!!