Where are you this weekend? 2014/15

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
day off to help my club, but my Achilles tendon is complaining. I am scheduled for 2 games, with another game inbetween for rest and stretching.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Bedford v Jersey for me.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
day off to help my club, but my Achilles tendon is complaining. I am scheduled for 2 games, with another game inbetween for rest and stretching.
There were no dancing girls in Eindhoven Irishref. NO Dancing girls I tell thee.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Mud, mud, glorious mud.
Gonna be some fun games today :biggrin:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I'm hoping it will slow my Colts game down a bit?

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Omg. I was video assessed and everything today. Had a good game. Not great. But good a little lazy in places.
Then BOOM two wingers went at it like horney male kangaroos in mating season.
It was recorded.

- - - Updated - - -

Omg. I was video assessed and everything today. Had a good game. Not great. But good a little lazy in places.
It was recorded.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
It was recorded.

- - - Updated - - -

It was recorded.

Should help the Disciplinary Panel make a swift and correct judgement then

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I was a good boy. I had the video rendered edited and reports done that night.

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
I was a good boy. I had the video rendered edited and reports done that night.

Was there no port available that night then? :p

Had a good game today I felt. Ended 55-10. Managed to encourage some good, fluid and attacking rugby out of the two sides. Wasn't impressed by the Home Head Coach or their supporters, but lets not worry about that.

Kind of worried I was too lenient though. I ended up giving a yellow with 5 to go for going into the ruck with a leading foot and studs out - luckily no contact was made or it would have been a red!

Could have given about 4 or 5 before then, but made sure I walked away first to think and I convinced myself to not give them.

Winning side gave me 4/5 because I forgot to tell the Captain (only told the coach) I would be harsh on them at 35odd-5 up and thus failed on management a little bit. Losing side gave me 4/5 but said I was poor on the advantage and did not apply laws correctly or consistently - especially at the ruck.
On the advantage - load of bollocks. I know that at least 2 of my advantages led to Tries. On the laws - only because I was trying to get a game going instead of a try fest for the winning team, so I was alot harsher to one side instead of the other when it came to the breakdown. Losing side got the 'benefit of the doubt' alot more - shame they couldn't understand this.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
No WombleRef I i didn't have to put you to bed @ 8 either.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Was glad of the "no guns" sign at the stadium last weekend. But still managed a home win!

bosnia stadium.jpg

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Was there no port available that night then? :p

Had a good game today I felt. Ended 55-10. Managed to encourage some good, fluid and attacking rugby out of the two sides. Wasn't impressed by the Home Head Coach or their supporters, but lets not worry about that.

Kind of worried I was too lenient though. I ended up giving a yellow with 5 to go for going into the ruck with a leading foot and studs out - luckily no contact was made or it would have been a red!

Could have given about 4 or 5 before then, but made sure I walked away first to think and I convinced myself to not give them.

Winning side gave me 4/5 because I forgot to tell the Captain (only told the coach) I would be harsh on them at 35odd-5 up and thus failed on management a little bit. Losing side gave me 4/5 but said I was poor on the advantage and did not apply laws correctly or consistently - especially at the ruck.
On the advantage - load of bollocks. I know that at least 2 of my advantages led to Tries. On the laws - only because I was trying to get a game going instead of a try fest for the winning team, so I was alot harsher to one side instead of the other when it came to the breakdown. Losing side got the 'benefit of the doubt' alot more - shame they couldn't understand this.

Maybe a referee applying x2 differing standards simply confused them?
Did they want your 'sympathy' ???

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Maybe a referee applying x2 differing standards simply confused them?
Did they want your 'sympathy' ???

Browner - they are kids remember. When in the second half the game turned into - try scored, conversion taken, losing side kick off, winning side break through tackles, try scored, repeat for about 5 minutes - something needed to be done. So I was harsher to the winning side. Simple as. I've done it before to great effect in similar situations and have done as well to others.

And in fairness the game actually became competitive and after a few penalties against the winning side, there wasn't really many penalties at all. With some end to end, flowing rugby, Losing side got a try, and the winning side got a few more as well and you could see the players enjoy it.

To quote the away team's report on me - 'The Ref's intention to keep the game fair when the opposition went 40 points down was spot on'

The home team coach and the crowd seemingly couldn't cope with this.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Browner - they are kids remember. When in the second half the game turned into - try scored, conversion taken, losing side kick off, winning side break through tackles, try scored, repeat for about 5 minutes - something needed to be done. So I was harsher to the winning side. Simple as. I've done it before to great effect in similar situations and have done as well to others.

And in fairness the game actually became competitive and after a few penalties against the winning side, there wasn't really many penalties at all. With some end to end, flowing rugby, Losing side got a try, and the winning side got a few more as well and you could see the players enjoy it.

To quote the away team's report on me - 'The Ref's intention to keep the game fair when the opposition went 40 points down was spot on'

The home team coach and the crowd seemingly couldn't cope with this.

With due respect, You might think you did good job, but i dont. Leave game levelling to the coaches.... Not a referees job, simples!

I don't support a differing standards in the same match ethos, how is any player supposed to learn what's expected if the referee isn't consistent or oscillates based on who's winning

Coaches have many better ways to level the contest, at their disposal, and a suggestive nudge can often stimulate their creativity !

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
With due respect, You might think you did good job, but i dont. Leave game levelling to the coaches.... Not a referees job, simples!

I don't support a differing standards in the same match ethos, how is any player supposed to learn what's expected if the referee isn't consistent or oscillates based on who's winning

Coaches have many better ways to level the contest, at their disposal, and a suggestive nudge can often stimulate their creativity !

Sorry - but our job is to facilitate an enjoyable game. My 3 big success criteria in ANY game are: 1) Did the players enjoy it? 2) Did I enjoy it? 3) Did I do the best I could? (There's also the technical stuff that I care about, but they are more contributory compared to that).

Now when a side is losing like they are. The players aren't enjoying it, the crowd aren't enjoying it, and I am not enjoying it.

It is established practice as a coach and a referee in youth rugby to try and manage a mismatch either in the scrum or in general play. Youth Rugby includes U18s.

Perhaps I went a little too far in the management considering they are in a league. Which I have never had to deal with before. But, in the couple of years I have been involved in coaching, and refereeing, when it has become necessary, it has worked well, and allowed the losing side to enjoy the game more.

Oh, and even if you disagree - I would do it again.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Touch gloves. I want a nice clean fair contest.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
wombleref - I know where you are coming from, but I agree with Browner : it's the coaches job to level up a game, not the referee's.
You should always ref everything straight, as soon as you start delibrately favouring one side (for any reason, even with the best of intentions) I think you are on a dangerous path.

Also - if it was a league game there's almost certainly a maximum points difference (?) that takes account of the mismatch. In most youth leagues when you get to that, the game ends and the two teams can play on as a friendly. If your levelling delayed / prevented the maximum difference being achieved then you may even have prolonged the agony :-(

Last edited: