Where are you this weekend - 2022/23?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I usually find the better/winning team is the one that gives away the most penalties and gains the most YC's as a result.

Yup, had this in an L9 cup game the other week, the penalty count was 15 vs 5, managed throughout, 2 yellow cards were issued to the home team who went on to win. The losing team were fine about it, appreciated they had those 10 penalties and failed to do anything with them, but I explained that broadly they were 'too nice', sometimes, as much as we might hate it, a team needs a bit of niggle and edge about them

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
No game this weekend (or midweek) as I twanged my calf on Saturday 10 mins into 2nd half. Made it to full time but it hurts a bit now.

I was due to referee (first since November) Yorkshire Ambulance Service v Welsh Ambulance Service on Weds and AR at Sheffield v Sedgley Park on Saturday. Arse!!

Next appointment on 22nd April which will probably be it for the season unless I want to do some midweek cup stuff but it may all be finished by the time my calf recovers.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Managed to not make a fool of myself for a live audience (my AR gig was streamed on ESPN+), fingers crossed I can carry that luck into the CRCs next month.

Another 7s tune-up this Sunday, this one hosted by Loyola-Chicago at the fields outside SeatGeek and immediately followed by a MLR game I cannot attend.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I usually find the better/winning team is the one that gives away the most penalties and gains the most YC's as a result.
Is this a contrast to elite level because penalties anywhere in the opponent's half are not converted to 3 points?

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
This weekend

AR in Nat 2 North

Sheffield Tigers v Otley

Postponed from last month due to waterlogged pitch.

Nothing riding on it. 4th placed Otley no chance of promotion unless they beat top two (and the rest) in their remaining games. 9th placed Tigers no chance of being relegated as long as they turn up.

Tigers pitch at 262m (860 ft for those of you who like that stuff) above Sea Level is a horrible place at the best of times so hopefully the weather will be kind - pah!
Hold on, some of us live up here all the time -and we are lovely! I like to think of it as altitude training AND it keeps some of the tourists away.

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
May not be reffing now until next season.! There are only 2 scheduled Saturday fixtures in Cumbria on Whosetheref for the whole of April.
The season really has petered out up here.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
May not be reffing now until next season.! There are only 2 scheduled Saturday fixtures in Cumbria on Whosetheref for the whole of April.
The season really has petered out up here.
What about the Papa John's cup thing?
Fixtures have been late to get to Wtr

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Not many clubs entered.
Some did like Aspatria and just didn't appear in the draw!
Our appointer is hoping to name a TO3 for the one game we currently have but can't get confirmation if he's allowed to!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have a Papa Johns game on Saturday.
Hoping for free Pizza after.

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Everyone down this way is pulling out of the PJ Cup. Only 50% are going ahead in my region. Most excuses are the late announcement of the fixtures and trying to get players who have all planned other things as this wasn't in the fixture diary. Seems a bit of a shambles at the moment

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Everyone down this way is pulling out of the PJ Cup. Only 50% are going ahead in my region. Most excuses are the late announcement of the fixtures and trying to get players who have all planned other things as this wasn't in the fixture diary. Seems a bit of a shambles at the moment

We have the opposite, our 1st / 2nd / 3rd teams county cups fixtures are all scheduled for this weekend on as the leagues are done, except those that entered the PJ comp are dropping out of the local cups which is creating some interesting feedback :-(

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
20230331_071511.jpg

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Well, I picked up the only papa john's game in the county. Upper Eden v Cockermouth. Two good well drilled teams who were 1st and 2nd in league this season. Cockermouth the only team to have beaten Eden in the league for over 2 seasons! Should be a great game.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
PJ cup take up is embarrassing. I wonder how many free pizzas they've donated compared to participants?

Anyway my cub got a HWO and my son's actually played a game and won.

In terms of what motivates or otherwise how about Blackburn? Won their league at L6 and couldn't be arsed to travel to Heath (Halifax) a L5 team about 40 miles away.

Dunno?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
In terms of what motivates or otherwise how about Blackburn? Won their league at L6 and couldn't be arsed to travel to Heath (Halifax) a L5 team about 40 miles away.

Dunno?

end of season, job done, lets rest ? CBA with anything else?

maybe its just a relfection that for club players the season is too long and they are happy to end as soon as they can.

??

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Taking the weekend off due to Easter, then gearing up for 7s tournaments leading up to the CRCs in Washington.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
end of season, job done, lets rest ? CBA with anything else?

maybe its just a relfection that for club players the season is too long and they are happy to end as soon as they can.

??
You're probably right. Perhaps those that like a run around should find a sevens team to hook up with?