Recent content by Dan Cottrell

1. D

[Law] Alleged foul play

Just finished a university second team game. After about 5 minutes, the Blue prop complains of biting. I've no evidence that I could see, but I calmed him down. He alerts me to it again about 5 minutes later. Again, same reply. About 15 minutes into the game there's a scuffle and an alleged...
  2. D

Collapsed rucks

Here is a debate I have been having with one of my colleagues and I am not sure I am on the right tracks here... My friend writes (coaches and referees at U13) Hi dan, I have a ruck clearing out question. Situation is team A get tackled, and another team A player takes up a (legal) guard...
  3. D

Not competing and then sacking

I had this happen to me refereeing two seasons ago and I thought I made the right call then, but Wayne Barnes didn't seem to see it the way I did: Saracens v Quins. Quins win ball at front. Sarries don't engage BUT immediately Vunipola races around the back of the lineout and tackles the player...
  4. D

Do you have to tell the referee how many you are putting into the lineout?

One I have faced when I have refereed and coached...a shortened lineout...do you need to tell the referee? (Other than after the event!)
  5. D

South Africa rugby age grade laws

Does anyone know where the link is for the laws at age grade for South Africa please?
  6. D

What happens when the opposition make noises before a tap penalty is taken

Here is a query I have just received...is there a particular law that prevents this? Good morning Dan, I was told by an opposing coach at the weekend that his defensive line could chant and wave their arms having retired 7 metres (Under 11s) after conceeding a penalty, if the penalty was...
  7. D

Ball placement query

Just been tutoring on a L1 coaches course and heard this: If the tackled player lands on the ball or the ball touches the ground after the tackle, then that is his opportunity to place the ball immediately used up. Is that right?
  8. D

Sorry, a knock on question

Just been asked this question and though my stock answer is that you have to be there to see if you would think the call was right, please can someone give me the laws here: 1. Blue 10 about to the kick ball. Is tackled, fumbles the ball forward but still manages to kick it before it hits the...
  9. D

sealing with a shirt grab

Forgive me bringing up an oldie but I am sure that players are not allowed to grab the shirt of their tackled player on the ground to seal him off from the opposition defence. Apparently this is okay...according to some refs...
  10. D

The difference between SH and NH - truth or myth?

I expect someone will point me to this debate on another post, but given the outcomes from the Lions tests, can we surmise there is no difference between the two hemispheres, just a difference between referees?
  11. D

No ruck formed, so can stand anywhere

Playing against a side wholike to "zig zag" play. That is they set up a four man pod to the left of the ruck, pop to it and drive, form a ruck and then pop the ball back to the previous ruck players who are now on their feet. They go left, right, left, right...and so on. Let's say (like...
  12. D

Parental "advice" to the referee

I wonder how much I should engage with the parents in the game when they are questioning my decisions which is in turn affecting the players. As the coach/referee I understand that I can be accused of being bias far more than incompetent. In my heart of hearts I know that I feel I am tougher on...
  13. D

Scrum advantage and then a penalty...

Sure this has been answered elsewhere and the answer is obvious. knock on by Red, advantage to Blue...Red then come offside (or prevent release), in the ruck where Blue still have advantage (that is no ground or tactical gain of any sort yet)...give a penalty. Is that the right call?
  14. D

At what age can someone start to referee?

My son, aged nearly 13, keen to start refereeing... When can he start the process?
  15. D

Squeezeball in NZ

Apparently squeezeball is allowed at U18 in NZ rugby... Is this true, or is this right?