Search results

1. B

Alan Lewis TMS

Alan Lewis the AR during England’s recent game against France is currently in India acting as a summarizer for Test Match Special. On Wednesday 2nd March he will give his 'View From the Boundary' with Jonathon Agnew during the lunch interval of the England Ireland cricket match. May be worth a...
  2. B

As AR, what would you do?

5m attacking scrum, 25m inform touch, you are on the openside of the scrum, referee on blind side. Ball goes in and is won by attacking team, ball held at No.8’s feet. Defending openside flanker slips bind and just about has finger tips on his props shoulder. Attacking openside flanker grabs...
  3. B

Technical Areas

Amongst all the literature sent out from Twickenham at the start of the season I remember seeing a page of a document that described who was allowed where with regard to the technical area and within any perimeter fencing etc. I have trawled through my stuff and now cannot find it. Is there...
  4. B

Technical Areas

Amongst all the literature sent out from Twickenham at the start of the season I remember seeing a page of a document that described who was allowed where with regard to the technical area and within any perimeter fencing etc. I have trawled through my stuff and now cannot find it. Is there...
  5. B

Soap Box; RBS & Scotland RFU

Forgive me if I get some facts wrong, but I believe that Royal Bank of Scotland are now owned/ controlled by HM Government having bailed them out due to the financial crisis. The Scottish RFU have announced a major sponsorship deal with RBS believed to be a seven figure sum. HM government are...
  6. B

Defending the lineout

Game yesterday (10th Feb.) two university sides. Do all the pre-match checks and talks etc finishing with the away side. The away team (red) coach then approaches me a says ‘we have a defensive move at the line outs were we all stand off, they form a maul and we appeal for truck and trailer’...
  7. B

Rose's fault (Sale vs Wasps)

Wasps are escaping punishment for failing to take to the pitch because it’s the referee’s fault. It now appears that referee David Rose failed to apply the correct protocol when deciding whether or not the pitch was fit to play. The fact that there was no way that Wasps were going to take to...
  8. B

Scrum Regulation 7.2 Is it still wrong

After all the shenanigans by the RFU and the front row I think they may still have it wrong. On page 2 of 5 of the document titled ‘Front Row Regulations Notice (REVISED)(Final)’ 7.3(b)(i) … at level 5 and below in league matches four players in their nominated match day squad… …who are...
  9. B

"Tag" rugby

A few weeks ago whilst in the showers, I noticed that a player had a criminal justice tagging device around his ankle. Now I vaigley remember this player fiddling with his socks when I did the stud check. Should the player be allowed to play whilst wearing the tagging device as it is made of...
  10. B

It's easy on the panel HA HA

It’s easy as on official doing a panel appointed league game. The referee has not one but two people to cover his blind side. A fourth official to keep track of sin bins and replacements. But he is still the sole judge of fact. On Saturday I was TJ for a Nat League 2 South game, and in the...
  11. B

Penalty count

At level 5 and above referees are ‘marked’ by the number of penalties they ‘give away’. Often the first question of the referee to the asses is how many penalties did I give, below 20 big smile on referees face over 20 big frown on assessors face. If a penalty can be awarded and no advantage can...
  12. B

PUNDITS good or bad for the game?

During England’s game against the Irish the wonderful ‘pundit’ Moore says that the laws of the game need to be changed to prevent someone standing at the back of a pile of bodies of the floor with the ball at their feet and their hand on the man in front. The laws DO NOT need changing they need...
  13. B

Clothing 'SKINS'

Is the wearing of 'Skins' compression garments allowed during a game? On Saturday the opposition went ballistic that the replacement winger went on wearing Skins leggings.
  14. B

Autumn Internationals '08

So the moneymaking exercise starts this weekend, better know as the autumn internationals. England take on the Pacific Islands followed by the big three Aus, S.A. & NZ Ireland start with Canada then NZ ending with Argentina. Scotland ease into the series with NZ then S.A. finishing with Canada...
  15. B

League restructing 09/10

Just wondering what people are thinking regarding the proposals to restructure the leagues and how it will effect the progression ladder for referees, and the relative quality of games at the various levels for referees. For those that haven’t seen the proposals here is a link to the RFU page...
  16. B

Penalty for Not Listening

Penalties at rucks this last weekend were not given for player breaking the laws but for not listening to the referee. Scenario 1). Tackle… Defender gets hand over ball preventing quick recycle of ball... Referee shouts hands off white... defender removes his hand and play continues. Scenario...
  17. B

Abandoned game

Here is my abandoned game report (previously didn’t know one was required) "Report in to the abandonment of the game Whites vs Blues, 20th January 2007. The level 7 game between *********(white) and *******(blue) in the 5th Round of the EDF Vase was abandoned due to the unsafe nature of the...
  18. B

Failure to check boots

Ever had the problem of trying to check studs and brief the players when they wont get together to do it all at the same time. Scenario Ref ‘Hello blue captain, I’d like to check boots at 2.00pm is that OK’ Blue Captain ‘That’s fine ref see you at 2’ 2.00pm Ref ‘Are we all here captain to...
  19. B

BLACKS vs YELLOWS

Assessors report from a recent game I was privileged to stand in!! CHALLENGE OF THE MATCH The pitch had had several hours of rain. It was in a good condition but heavy in places. From the outset, it was clear that this was going to be a challenging game as both wanted to fight their way to the...
  20. B

Shoulder above hips.

The BBC website is/was showing highlights of the Scotland vs Islands game. There is a beautiful slow motion clip of why you should keep your shoulders above your hips. Tackle situation Beatie as first non tackler to arrive, goes in to get the ball, feet behind players on the floor reaching...