Search results

1. Stu10

Interception by knocking ball forward and gather?

I believe this has been discussed before, and I assume there will not be consensus here, but I'm going to ask anyway! This has come up in a Society discussion - what is the decision? I'm going to offer 2 scenarios to see if they get the same or different result. Blue player goes for an...
  2. Stu10

What is the sanction for Law 6.30?

Law 6.30. No additional persons should approach, address or aim comments at the match officials, except for medics in relation to the treatment of a player. Over the weekend I was having a discussion with a couple of friends (1 a player, 1 a ref) following a referee awarding an on field penalty...
  3. Stu10

Wayne Barnes retires from refereeing

I guess most people have seen this news, though I was surprised no one had already posted. Maybe nothing to discuss? IMHO, he has made this decision early as a result of online abuse, but his wish to prioritise family is an excellent reason! Maybe it's getting challenging at 44 years old, but I...
  4. Stu10

Direction of ball for successful kick at goal

Before my recent posting in the "unusual incidents" thread, I had a look at the laws regarding kicks at goal. Law 8.4 For any goal to be successful, the ball must be kicked over the crossbar and between the goal posts without first touching a team-mate or the ground. I can't see any mention of...
  5. Stu10

Would you award a penalty try on the half way line?

Interesting discussion happening in my Society WhatsApp... how far out from the try line would you consider awarding a penalty try following foul play? If the last defender commits a clothesline tackle or a trip near the halfway line, for example, would you consider a penalty try? If a fast...
  6. Stu10

RWC Head Contact Consistency

There are references to some of the weekend's controversial head contact incidents, but I thought it good to bring them together for discussion. England v Argentina - red card Japan v Chile - yellow card Scotland vs South Africa - no penalty
  7. Stu10

RFU law variations approved to lower tackle height

RFU LAW VARIATIONS APPROVED TO LOWER TACKLE HEIGHT https://www.englandrugby.com/news/article/law-variations-approved-to-lower-tackle-height-in-community-rugby-union THE LAW CHANGES ARE AS FOLLOWS: Law 9 Foul Play 9.11.(a) Players must not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others...
  8. Stu10

Private sub-forum?

Is there a non-public sub-forum (that I can't see presently) for discussing more sensitive aspects, such as disciplinary outcomes?
  9. Stu10

Player in the air in-goal (Sarries v Quins)

https://www.youtube.com/live/aMIMr4ma-uw?feature=share&t=5280 View from 1h 28m point. Cross kick from Care, taken by Marchant in the air within the in-goal area with Goode underneath him. Goode catches him in the air but can't hold Marchant up, who drops to the ground, try awarded. Smith...
  10. Stu10

QTI in front of the mark (SCO v ITA)

In the SCO v ITA game this past weekend, ITA carried the ball into touch at approximately their own 5m line, Scotland took a QTI from 1-2m out from the try line, which the ref disallowed for being in front of the mark. Subsequently the full lineout was conducted with SCO throwing in. Should...
  11. Stu10

Managing repeated offside at the breakdown?

I'm looking for some opinions and advice. This relates to an u15 game, which may slightly change opinions (and I considered to put this in the Junior Rugby forum), but I can see the same thing potentially happening at a low level adult game or a development game. Equally, I would value if/how...
  12. Stu10

Clarifying line-out laws?

I've been reading through law 18 and I'm left scratching my head over a few aspects. First, is the receiver and the hooker part of the line-out? Law 18.17.a Once the lineout is formed, players: From the team throwing in may not leave the lineout other than to change positions with other...
  13. Stu10

Value of the PMB?

Discussion topic for everyone... what is the value of the PMB when dealing with experienced players? Players already know we will use CBS at a scrum, they know they should have long binds, the scrum-half knows the ball should be straight, the fly-half knows he should maintain offside lines at...
  14. Stu10

Ball in touch and correct use of whistle

Question for the community... when do you blow your whistle for a ball going into touch? Does a whistle blow indicate the ball is in touch or that the ball is dead? Does this impact what can and cannot happen next, ie a quick throw? Should you always blow the whistle when the ball goes into...
  15. Stu10

When should ref stop the clock at a penalty? (Lei v Nor)

Something caught my eye over the weekend in the Leicester vs Northampton game... The score was 18 - 19, with Northampton leading, and Wayne Barnes awarded a penalty to Northampton at 79:30 on the clock. George Furbank looked a little indecisive, though I'm sure he was think he could wait for...
  16. Stu10

u8 Mauling and scrummaging

Tom Dunn teaching mauling and scrummaging to Chippenham u8... interesting! :unsure:
  17. Stu10

SA v Eng scrum dominance

OK, I've gone there, the Eng v SA game at the weekend. Arguably a couple of contentious tries, but I don't want to focus on that, or intentionally focus on the referee, but I do wonder about the scrums. (This is intended to be separate from my question in the scrum sub-forum). I'll agree that...
  18. Stu10

Prop collapsing the scrum

I feel I'm very inexperienced refereeing the front row, and thankfully it tends to be more straight forward at age-grade, but I was left puzzled during the recent Eng v SA game. Focusing on the linked examples, it appears to me that green LHP is pulling white down based on the angle of his arm...
  19. Stu10

Advice on refereeing the jackal

I would appreciate hearing how others referee the tackle/jackal/ruck scenario with regard to timing and what you are looking for. I'm pretty sure I've got the technical requirements correct, but I sometimes struggle on the timing. Tackle, clear release, first man on feet can jackal and must...
  20. Stu10

Tackle/release inches from try line

I'm not sure if I made a mistake while refereeing this weekend and would appreciate input. Maroon winger received the ball 7-8m from green try line, two green defenders latched onto him attempting to hold him up. Maroon kept legs pumping and got within a metre of the try line, he was halted...