[Law] 50/22 from a FK

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
But in OBs scenario the scrum was awarded in Reds half, so play is already in Reds half. No one has taken the ball back into the half so why do you need a phase of play before a 50/22 can be allowed?

If the same scenario took place in the 22 would you allow a gain in ground?

Simply because that phrase was the exact one that my contact used in his reply to me.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
AIUI a scrum only counts as a phase of play if it is completed. Otherwise it is just a stoppage.

Balones

Post Likes
AIUI a scrum only counts as a phase of play if it is completed. Otherwise it is just a stoppage.

Certainly for data counting a scrum only counts when the ref utters ‘set’. A free kick can happen after the ‘set’. So if it is counted for data then we have to assume it is actually a scrum for phase purposes?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I prefer people to think through the arguments, rather than blindly following others without understanding why.

I will treat the opportunity for 50:22 the same as I do for a 22 gain-in-ground.

You are very cryptic chgb, I am still not sure whether you think the answer is yes or no

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Clarification from World Rugby via SRU. B89015DF-60B5-4266-AD51-D71566AACFDA.jpg

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Clarification from World Rugby via SRU.

A sensible set of questions from SRU with unambiguous answers. :wow:

Any chance you could post the whole FAQ for all the trials?

Balones

Post Likes
Also from Laws at RFU

Hi …..

The guidance coming from World Rugby is that a 50:22 can be taken from a FK. Phase of play does not coming in here.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Question from my presentation last night.

So can you get a 50/22 from a Mark?

Since a Mark is a FK and you can get a 50/22 from a FK the answer must be yes (a Mark is not a restart under the definitions).

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
more importantly. If a kick is made from inside half and, ball having exploded in flight, casing goes into touch on full and bladder bounces into touch, who gets the throw? :horse:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
more importantly. If a kick is made from inside half and, ball having exploded in flight, casing goes into touch on full and bladder bounces into touch, who gets the throw? :horse:

Chopper.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Question from my presentation last night.

So can you get a 50/22 from a Mark?

Since a Mark is a FK and you can get a 50/22 from a FK the answer must be yes (a Mark is not a restart under the definitions).

Since a Mark, when allowed, is a catch within your 22 from an opponent's kick, either the opponent put the ball into your half, or an opponent touched the ball within your half, so the answer must be yes.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Since a Mark, when allowed, is a catch within your 22 from an opponent's kick, either the opponent put the ball into your half, or an opponent touched the ball within your half, so the answer must be yes.

So red pass back into own half
Red knock on
Scrum and FK to Red

Is it on ?

Balones

Post Likes

It’s a scrum for anything not covered by law isn’t it? Unless you can quote a law reference for an exploding pig’s bladder or similar.:)

Harry

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
I'm confused TBH, but I'm looking forward to the TV commentators trying to explain it.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
These forums are a wonderful resource for Law changers. World Rugby and Rugbyrefs: WR should use these forums. Imagine when WR decide on some new Laws, they then put it out to us to investigate, delve and comment. Not to change the intent of the new Law, that is an already given by WR, but to identify issues, inconsistencies and weak language.

WR wouldn't have to engage, it could also disregard what it felt to be irrelevant, but it would have access to some highly experienced and often forensically inclined rugby brains. WR could wait and see what we come up with before putting the final version out there. WR doesn't need to respond or even engage, it would just take on board what it felt was useful and hone the new Laws accordingly.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
I now read it thus; In the situations described you can get a gain in ground kick from a FK and from a scrum in your half.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
These forums are a wonderful resource for Law changers. World Rugby and Rugbyrefs: WR should use these forums. Imagine when WR decide on some new Laws, they then put it out to us to investigate, delve and comment. Not to change the intent of the new Law, that is an already given by WR, but to identify issues, inconsistencies and weak language.

WR wouldn't have to engage, it could also disregard what it felt to be irrelevant, but it would have access to some highly experienced and often forensically inclined rugby brains. WR could wait and see what we come up with before putting the final version out there. WR doesn't need to respond or even engage, it would just take on board what it felt was useful and hone the new Laws accordingly.

Indeed, and other forums exist.
I do get the impression though that discussions that originate on this and other forums do sometimes reach WR one way or another