Brian Moore becomes a ref.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
And here is the RFU PR for Brian - those bl**dy leg warmers ! (NB Hampshire Refs - such leggings are not authorised Society kit and if worn are liable to bring down the wrath of your Chairman down on you from a very gtreat height (I will stand on a box) !

Just the one box? :biggrin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

Printed artricle in Telegraph today has three other pics, where Brian looks a little tired !

Well done though Brian, and give it a go away from the TV and press lenses. Forget being a smart-arse ( nowt wrong with that :) ), but do get fit before you do it again !

bcm.jpg

Last edited:

Staybound

Referees in England
Post Likes
"As a referee you have to manage that period by liaising with teams, the medical staff, your assisting officials, and the groundsman,"

Real newly qualified referee experience:

Liaise with teams: Find teams. Listen to stories about missing players, requests to play 12 v 13. Help negotiate with oppo to lend their worst players to the short-handed team in order to get a game on. Ask teams to extinguish fags before coming on the pitch. Check boots that have all seen better days. Do brief briefing and avoid definitively answering questions about "when's it out?"

Medical Staff: Bloke with a bucket and sponge if you're lucky. Otherwise man with mongrel dog and hip flask. For junior games, ask man with mongrel and dog and hip flask (whom nobody seems to know) to leave as he is creepy.

Assisting officials: Thrust a flag at each of the skippers and tell them to find somebody or live with a degree of randomness at any point when the ball is in the tramlines (NB - this note seldom reduces the overall level of randomness)

Groundsman: Yet to meet one. Home captain to remove branches, dog turds, car parts, remains of bonfire, Hillman Imp from pitch. Throw a stone into the large puddle of dark liquid that blights a 40 square metre portion of the pitch and listen carefully to hear when it hits the bottom (more than 30 seconds is probably unsafe).

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Throw a stone into the large puddle of dark liquid that blights a 40 square metre portion of the pitch and listen carefully to hear when it hits the bottom (more than 30 seconds is probably unsafe).

oh how true, especially this season. anyone got any chance of a game this weekend? we're running an ELRA course at my club this week, and our pitches are more like swimming pools.

looking possible that we'll have to cancel our first team league game again, and i'm not sure whether there are enough free weekends left to fit all matches in...

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
avoid definitively answering questions about "when's it out?

That was funny, I enjoyed reading it.

But seriously, what do you say to them if they ask a straight question about "when do you deem it out Sir"?

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
or..."if you need to ask - it probably is not."

Staybound

Referees in England
Post Likes
When the it's been passed out to the outside centre. No point letting them creep up.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I say: If you are unsure, just ask

So you are happy with:

"Sir is it out"
"is it out Sir"
"Sir"
"Sir"
"is it out now Sir"
"Sir is it out yet"
"Sir is it out"
"Sir is it out"
"is it out Sir"
"Sir"
"Sir"
"is it out now Sir"
"Sir is it out yet"
"Sir is it out"
"Sir is it out"
"is it out Sir"
"Sir"
"Sir"
"is it out now Sir"
"Sir is it out yet"
"Sir is it out"
"Sir is it out"
"is it out Sir"
"Sir"
"Sir"
"is it out now Sir"
"Sir is it out yet"
"Sir is it out"

"But Sir, you did say to ask" :biggrin: :biggrin:

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
PMSLOL.

I say "It's a judgement call, you judge it, I'll call it." Works ok at my level.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
:D :D
presumably London Scottish turning up in Red/White shirts was a practical joke at Brian's expense!

I love the idea of Scottish finding 15 dark blue shirts 'as if by magic'

:)
well done scottish.

Stoo48

Referees in America
Post Likes
When you ask me and I say it is......

As for Phils comments above just say no, if they are concentrating on you they are not really looking when its really out, then when the realise it has gone through 9,10 and is well on the way to the OC and they have missed it, they don't ask again......

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
:D :D
presumably London Scottish turning up in Red/White shirts was a practical joke at Brian's expense!

I love the idea of Scottish finding 15 dark blue shirts 'as if by magic'

:)
well done scottish.

He obviously wasn't aware that the home side have to provide a change strip?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
no... I meant scottish don't normally play in red/white... they play in dark blue.
it was a joke.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
no... I meant scottish don't normally play in red/white... they play in dark blue.
it was a joke.

Ahhhh, sorry.......I am laughing on the inside ;-)

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
When you ask me and I say it is......

As for Phils comments above just say no, if they are concentrating on you they are not really looking when its really out, then when the realise it has gone through 9,10 and is well on the way to the OC and they have missed it, they don't ask again......

The important thing to clarify is that 'Hands on' does not mean that the ball is out necessarily. Unfortunately I think we have the legacy of Ed Morrison to thank for that, a referee whom I have admired enormously; he makes reference to it in his book as being his interpretation.

It may well be fine for TV rugby but it has become an urban myth in the weeds where the last thing we want to encourage is a succession of pile ups at the base of the scrum or the ruck where we should be fostering open, running and passing rugby. The nancy boys will get cold otherwise.