Brian Moore becomes a ref.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
At the risk of igniting a myriad of responses, why is it deemed "unprofessional" to wear compression shorts? There do provide a legitimate function in supporting muscle fatigue etc...

It's not unprofessional to wear whatever underwear pleases you, it's only unprofessional when your shorts are not long enough to cover your underwear.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
it's only unprofessional when your shorts are not long enough to cover your underwear.

.............or anything else that's underneath your shorts for that matter :chin:

DICKIE......NO! Resist the temptation.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
At the risk of igniting a myriad of responses, why is it deemed "unprofessional" to wear compression shorts? There do provide a legitimate function in supporting muscle fatigue etc...
Basharv, this view is adopted only by the ignorant and the dyed-in-the-wool types who iron creases into their shorts to line up with the ones on their socks. The more enlightened recognise the role they play in reducing fatigue from unwanted wobbling of muscles that may not be as firm as once they were, and in reducing injury by keeping the longer leg muscles warm as they try to compete with the players' 20 year younger versions. Consequently, the enlightened view is that NOT wearing them is unprofessional.

If you want to start a business, find a lycra that will hold a crease. That way, the old guard may take to them as well!:)

PeterH

Referees in England
Post Likes
Some still don't agree that white laces in your boots don't inspire a greater confidence in your adoring playing contingent

bollocks!
Wear what makes you comfortable - I have stopped using hob nail boots as a ref and find them better too!

GeorgeR

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I'm the first to say you have to turn out in clean kit, socks up, shirt tucked in etc, just in case any of the Gloucestershire assessors take exception here. I do stop short with gloves and other items that the players can't wear. BUT the ultimate caveat for me is that if you do a crap job but wear all the kit it makes you look a right prat, but do a decent job and no body really notices... unless as I did the other day and forgot my 4th change shirt and was too close to the players colours for my assessor's liking. :nono:

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm the first to say you have to turn out in clean kit, socks up, shirt tucked in etc, just in case any of the Gloucestershire assessors take exception here. I do stop short with gloves and other items that the players can't wear.

Just after Christmas, I and far too few others did a 7s tournament.

The players got to head off to the clubhouse or the support tents between games. We stayed on the pitches all day.

Temperatures were close to freezing and it rained most of the day.

I wore a hat and waterproof jacket. By the end of the day my colleagues were doing the same.

If I'd worn less, I wouldn't have just been "unfit" for the later stages, I'd probably have needed hospital treatment for exposure.

We have to dress for the conditions. Yes, we are part of the show, but delivering a poor performance and/or putting our health at risk because of 1950s attitude to "what a Gentleman wears" is just plain stupid.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I'll wear undershorts down to my knees the day I see pearson do it.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
Really, I don't like them, but many people have never gone without the spandex/ compression shorts as a player or referee. I think they would feel as uncomfortable without them as I would with them. But I will say they are not for me and I encourage evreyone not to wear them.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just after Christmas, I and far too few others did a 7s tournament.

The players got to head off to the clubhouse or the support tents between games. We stayed on the pitches all day.

Temperatures were close to freezing and it rained most of the day.

I wore a hat and waterproof jacket. By the end of the day my colleagues were doing the same.

If I'd worn less, I wouldn't have just been "unfit" for the later stages, I'd probably have needed hospital treatment for exposure.

We have to dress for the conditions. Yes, we are part of the show, but delivering a poor performance and/or putting our health at risk because of 1950s attitude to "what a Gentleman wears" is just plain stupid.

There's no need to assume the worst extreme, of course you dress appropriately according to the prevailing conditions and if those conditions change then you adjust.

What tends to annoy however is the mistaken belief somehow that underwear in all its guises is somehow fashionable and appropriate for every occasion. Basically, if you want to wear a long sleeved vest then you should cover it with a long sleeved shirt; similarly, Lycra worn to the knee should as far as possible be covered by the appropriate length of short, not by the skimpiest that barely cover the glutes.

Common sense and a little discretion is required, not extremist rejection of those traditionalists who have never felt the touch of Lycra and who may believe that just because they suffered, as Lycra hadn't been invented, then the rest of us should be enjoying the privilege too.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
But I will say they are not for me and I encourage everyone not to wear them.
I understand that you don't feel they have anything to offer you, but why do you encourage others not to wear them? Is it aesthetics or medical?

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I honestly feel it's perception. again, lets ask pearson or barnes what they think. though were not at their level...still perception.

I play baseball and at the end of our season the professional umpires show up as our league is in the fall and they are done with the minor leagues. they look the part, act the part and don't wander far from the pros by way of uniform and actions. they make about $15000-20000 a year - far from a good living - yet they look the part. we as refs get reimbursed say $4000 a year and we should still look like the guys on tv. no questions in my mind. I'm the president of my society and if I saw one of my referees wearing that stuff they would hear about it. want to wear cycling shorts - go cycling.

ballsie

ballsie
Post Likes
Unless of course you are called Ashley Cole Now he has some serious under wear issues if the phots in the newspapers are to be believed no compressing there

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
we as refs get reimbursed say $4000 a year and we should still look like the guys on tv. no questions in my mind. I'm the president of my society and if I saw one of my referees wearing that stuff they would hear about it. want to wear cycling shorts - go cycling.

How much? What in God's name are your fees and mileage rates?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Iwe as refs get reimbursed say $4000 a year and we should still look like the guys on tv. no questions in my mind.
The key question then is: which idiot decided that TV refs, when officiating a winter game at a temperature of around 3-6 degrees on average, should wear short-sleeved shirts and shorts that would not be out of place in a Honolulu summer?

And just because that idiot failed to find a decent job and had to gain employment in a low-pay organisation where the salary matches his skills, why should the world's rugby referees have to compromise their physical health and safety in order to conform to his/her idea of sartorial elegance?

Long sleeved shirts, numerous base layers and compression shorts should be the staple of the TV ref. The fact that it isn't is a problem for paid referees. Those of us who pay to referee are free to be totally unconcerned about such imbecility. Of course, if the game feels it would benefit from jettisoning those of us who prefer to be warm enough to referee properly .....

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
want to wear cycling shorts - go cycling.

So when we run touch for you in Warwickshire, you want us to do it on bikes???

TV officials aren't perfect. What about AR's in full tracksuits?

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
TV officials aren't perfect. What about AR's in full tracksuits?

If officials are employed and I think that includes any remuneration e.g. expenses, then the employer has a duty of care responsibility to ensure that the employee has suitable protective clothing appropriate to the environmental conditions. Whether this includes Lycra...?

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
simon: $40 per match and .30 a mile...plus I do tons of matches between the states and canada....for a YANK that is. will do around 40 between this week and end of may alone...should put me around 70 for 2010.

dixie - if it's a medical issue - then I can see a need. I just think it looks shoddy. I have always been like that. even when I coach baseball my assistant coaches and I look the sharpest in the league. everything matches. cold temp wise - I think you have to do what you have to do. but cycling shorts to prevent injury - never heard of it. I wear underarmour under shorts that are compression like - but they are shorter than my rugby shorts.

I'm the type of ref where I polish my boots before every match...so you're never going to sway my thoughts on cycling shorts. something we have to agree to disagree on.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
When they say cycling shorts, they mean underarmour, not padded bum garments. Whether they protrude beneath the line of the shorts depends on the length of the shorts issued as kit, and those are a given.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm the type of ref where I polish my boots before every match...

Attaboy. There are certain minimum standards which I hold dear too. Being good at what you do includes how you turn out, it's part of a disciplined approach to the game. Well done ddjamo for standing up to be counted; I am proud to be on your boot polishing team.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm the type of ref where I polish my boots before every match...so you're never going to sway my thoughts on cycling shorts. something we have to agree to disagree on.

I'll let you know if I see any mud on my boots at any point this season:swet:

I think the dirtiest they've been was two weeks ago in the rain and even then they were clean at the end of the game.