Brian Moore becomes a ref.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Mine are so dirty I've only just realised that there's an enormous hole on the right one, 3cm long. Have ordered new ones online. I'm now wondering whether to polish the old ones and reveal the split, or add more mud to hide it:confused: :chin:

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Mine are so dirty I've only just realised that there's an enormous hole on the right one, 3cm long. Have ordered new ones online. I'm now wondering whether to polish the old ones and reveal the split, or add more mud to hide it:confused: :chin:

Hide it with some extra long leggings:cry:

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
Do I still have to wear a sponsored shirt once the sponsor has gone into administration? (like ours has!)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

QED ! :biggrin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Do I still have to wear a sponsored shirt once the sponsor has gone into administration? (like ours has!)

Yes, as your Society has entered into a contract with the sponsor and if it administration the business (or parts) may be still a going concern - liquidation or full bankrupcy is another matter.

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes, as your Society has entered into a contract with the sponsor and if it administration the business (or parts) may be still a going concern - liquidation or full bankrupcy is another matter.

Bit academic really. Best I find a newbie to pass my kit onto I reckon

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Bit academic really. Best I find a newbie to pass my kit onto I reckon

You mean there could be two people with your body shape :wow: :biggrin: :clap: :bday:

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
Polishing my boots the night before a match just helps my mental preperation. It just helps me get in the right mindset. When I was a kid our hockey coach insisted on everything looking sharp. Frankly, it got a lot of comments from other teams' parents, including the Europenas we played.
I like Phil's track suit idea as well. AR's move a bit less and they should stay sharp. I am assuming we will see match reports posted.

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
You mean there could be two people with your body shape :wow: :biggrin: :clap: :bday:

If only you knew the truth. Our shirts fit where they touch and double as spinnakers in the off season.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes

I have had a modicum of success using Araldite in repairing splits, the stuff that comes in two tubes. My boots tend to split down the outside seam where the upper meets the sole; I suspect as a result of making marks for scrums and for line outs.

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just noticed this morning that my oldest, who borrowed my boots last week, has left them muddy and I've a match to ref tomorrow ... cleaning someone else's mud off yer boots, now that's love eh?

There's a bit of a rumpus in the UK about an MP travelling 1st class on the trains so he doesn't sit with the dregs of society ... does that extend to refs too? I'd hate to have to sit with players ... :wink:

Think I'll give the old calves an extra stretch tomorrow ... there'll be a comment to the players at the first stoppage after 3 minutes 20 seconds.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Full warm up scrumpox as the sea air will get to you down there !

Nikce little tester for you to see how you are doing.

ballsie

ballsie
Post Likes
I have had a modicum of success using Araldite in repairing splits, the stuff that comes in two tubes. My boots tend to split down the outside seam where the upper meets the sole; I suspect as a result of making marks for scrums and for line outs.

just get yourself out and buy a new pair you can afford it

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
Full warm up scrumpox as the sea air will get to you down there !

Nikce little tester for you to see how you are doing.
To be honest, I wasn't looking forward to the 100 mile round trip but it was well worth it, I had a great time! Their pitch is a bit boggy but the guys (on both sides) were brilliant. Got straight A's from both captains, managed to keep up with those darned marines, the vets are skilled at slowing the game down! Just left a thank you message with DD ...

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
And here is the RFU PR for Brian - those bl**dy leg warmers ! (NB Hampshire Refs - such leggings are not authorised Society kit and if worn are liable to bring down the wrath of your Chairman down on you from a very gtreat height (I will stand on a box) !

Moore whistles through RFU refereeing course
Monday February 22, 2010 Issued by Hugh Godwin -RFU

Brian Moore with whistle in hand and kitted out in London Society referee jersey.
brian_moore_referee.jpg

In a classic case of poacher turned gamekeeper, Brian Moore has become a qualified referee with the Rugby Football Union after successfully taking the national governing body's Entry Level Referee Award (ELRA).

Moore earned the nickname 'Pitbull' in his playing days and he has never held back in his forthright assessments of refereeing decisions in his current roles as a television commentator and newspaper columnist.

But it was a gauntlet thrown down while the former England and British & Irish Lions hooker was trading opinions with an online forum of referees which made him dive headfirst into the world of the qualified whistler.

"I'd got into an argument over the refereeing of the front row," said Moore. "I reckoned I'd been a hooker in over 75,000 scrums during my career so I knew what I was talking about.

"Then the questioner asked how many front rows I'd ever refereed, and he suggested I take the ELRA course to find out what it was like. So I thought 'yes, I'll do it'."

Moore got in touch with Ed Turnill, the RFU's referee development manager in London, and signed up for an ELRA course at his local rugby club Battersea Ironside, run by Turnill and referee trainer Bob Ockenden.

The International Rugby Board's Total Rugby cameras were on hand to film Moore and his 23 fellow trainee referees, aged 14 to 50, through three classroom sessions and two practical stints in which each candidate set up match scenarios and attempted to apply the relevant laws.

"I think the course is good," said Moore. "They don't expect you to learn the whole lawbook in one go; they encourage you to focus on how the laws are applied.

"I enjoyed it, I intend to carry on refereeing now that I've qualified and I'd recommend it to any ex-player who is a good communicator. It is fun, it's a great way to stay involved with rugby and you can fit it into your working schedule any way you like."

The final element of Moore's introduction to refereeing was a special match at Rosslyn Park FC, also filmed by Total Rugby - which ended prematurely for the new recruit when he pulled a calf muscle!

But Turnill was impressed with his star pupil, saying: "Brian's a forceful character and it would have been easy for him to take the course over but he didn't. He has been a great delegate.

"He did very well imparting the knowledge of the scrum he has from his playing days to the other candidates, and in other areas of the game he took a lot in. It increased his understanding of what we talk about when training referees.

"Everyone knows that without the man or woman with the whistle there is no game of rugby. We are always on the lookout for new referees and to have such a celebrated critic come through the course in this way was a great boost."

The RFU Entry Level Referee Award is open to anyone over the age of 14, with or without significant rugby experience. Once passed, the qualified referee can handle matches and festivals for players from under-nines through youth rugby up to the junior sides of senior clubs.

From there a clear pathway exists via local referees' societies all the way to the international status enjoyed by professional RFU referees such as Chris White and Wayne Barnes.

The RFU strategic plan for community rugby is seeking to create an extra team at every club throughout England - and more players and more teams will need more referees.

* To see Brian Moore on his RFU refereeing course, watch the feature on Total Rugby on Sky Sports at the following times this week:

Wednesday February 24, 9.30pm, Sky Sports 4; 11.30pm, Sky Sports 4; Thursday February 25, 1.30am, Sky Sports 4; 9.30am, Sky Sports 2; 2.30pm, Sky Sports 1.

* To find out more about how to become a referee go to Rfu.com/referee or find your local Referee Development Manager on the website or in the RFU Yearbook.

Ends

Notes to editors:

- More than 11,000 referees have undertaken the RFU Entry Level Referee Award (ELRA) since its implementation in late 2006.
- ELRA is delivered by 30 accredited trainers nationwide, and Continuous Professional Development is available through undertaking the 13 CRDA modules which are delivered to referees in clubs, schools, universities and colleges by 38 Club Referee Developers.
- Over 2000 CRDA modules have been completed this season.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
it's great that he is planning to carry on reffing rather than just doing it as a one off. cracking potential to promote and market the ELRA courses, even if it's only for club refs.

now, as someone else asked previously, maybe Stuart Barnes can get involved. Brian, if you happen to see him anywhere, maybe you could have a word?