Covid-19 Returning to play in Sept?

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I am becoming increasingly concerned that amateur rugby will not be possible next season. I just can’t see what will change between now and May next year that will mean scrums, mauls etc are safe. Being overweight is apparently a major contributor in complications for this virus, so putting front rows and forwards within inches of each other seems crazy.

Are others more optimistic?

Note: I am not saying all front rows are overweight!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
there is a very real chance that we will commence this season in Melbourne on 4th July

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
NH season? I could see a "second half" after Xmas, albeit based on nothing more than the summer and winter and time will see off the pandemic.

I really can't see a start in September. And with the caveats below etc notwitrhstanding, I can't see how a SH season could start anytime as soon as the start of July - surely "we" would all have to absolutely sure that CV-19 cases are dropping to almost 0% new cases before anybody starts gettig down and dirty with somebody that is in effect a complete and utter stranger

In reality we dont know how long it will take to "fix" this siutaion and everything is conjecture. Although myself Id say its more likely to be many months rather than a few weeks. At l;east.

YMMV.

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
do you think it wold be reasoinable for players to be able to demonstrate a "covid-19 passport" showing they have tested clean within the rpevious eg 10 days for each game?

Notwithstsanding the potential for abuse anyway by individuals/teams ...

?

didds

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
At this point, I think real leadership from the RFU would be admitting that competitive community rugby should only start in January, and planning for a round robin half-season, instead of a full home-and-away one. That allows everybody to plan properly, get fit and conditioned, etc. And if we're lucky enough to be able to resume sooner, then it's fairly simple for clubs to arrange friendlies within their local areas.

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
do you think it wold be reasoinable for players to be able to demonstrate a "covid-19 passport" showing they have tested clean within the rpevious eg 10 days for each game?

Notwithstsanding the potential for abuse anyway by individuals/teams ...

?

didds

With my life scientist hat on, all proposals - rugby or otherwise - for a "COVID-19 passport" are worthless until a) we are certain that recovery implies immunity and b) we have a reliable antibody test. Both of those criteria remain currently unclear.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I can't see rugby recommencing until we have a vaccine and on the spot testing. :sad:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Based upon the Press Briefing yesterday and the positive outlook by Chris Whitty and Boris I can see the season starting in September.

The biggest issue will be that there will be no "pre-season" and that some players may not be as physically prepared as they could otherwise have been. Let's not forget that most amateur Clubs would be looking to start some form of pre-season training regimen toward the end of this month with it being slowly ramped up throughout July ready for the matches in August.

My concern therefore is more about player safety from contact injuries rather than cross contamination.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
With my life scientist hat on, all proposals - rugby or otherwise - for a "COVID-19 passport" are worthless until a) we are certain that recovery implies immunity and b) we have a reliable antibody test. Both of those criteria remain currently unclear.

and that is very fair Pablo, and I entirely agree.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Eventually we will just accept the risk, and play rugby

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I can't see rugby recommencing until we have a vaccine and on the spot testing. :sad:

We may never have a vaccine.
I don't think there is an effective vaccine for any other type of coronavirus

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
We may never have a vaccine.
I don't think there is an effective vaccine for any other type of coronavirus

IN my exterme layman's non-understanding isnt "coronavirus" akin to saying "common cold".

and we have no cure for the "common cold" etc

so indeed as CR says we may never have a vaccine. We will just reach the stage where the numbers of infections becomes so low as to me meaningless compared to other viruses around and about hisorically

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
We have flu vaccines, which AIUI is more similar to coronavirus than the common cold is.