Covid-19 Returning to play in Sept?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
At this point, I think real leadership from the RFU would be admitting that competitive community rugby should only start in January, and planning for a round robin half-season, instead of a full home-and-away one. That allows everybody to plan properly, get fit and conditioned, etc. And if we're lucky enough to be able to resume sooner, then it's fairly simple for clubs to arrange friendlies within their local areas.

that's not a bad idea. A 'pre-season' period of friendlies before christmas might be quite fun, an opportunty to play some local rivals and perhaps some unfamilar names

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Presumably that is only until people start flying again in numbers.

Well, Australia has been mandating a two week lockdown for most arrivals into the country.
If our move goes ahead, I fully expect to be spending a couple of weeks in a Sydney hotel before I'm allowed loose.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Well, Australia has been mandating a two week lockdown for most arrivals into the country.

as an aside... a friend flew into the UK yesterday from germany (her mum who lived in Germany died a few weeks ago).

She said there was SD on the plane, but on her arrival back in the UK there were no medcial checks whatsoever (not even a "have you had a cough style questions). Just passport, customs and outside.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
There is no reason to expect the people on the plane are more infected than the people already here

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
as an aside... a friend flew into the UK yesterday from germany (her mum who lived in Germany died a few weeks ago).

She said there was SD on the plane, but on her arrival back in the UK there were no medcial checks whatsoever (not even a "have you had a cough style questions). Just passport, customs and outside.

didds

This may answer the reason why

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52504183

Last edited:

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
I've heard zero games have been canceled in North korea rugby league. NKUnion has suffered tremendously. The only person fat enough to prop has been missing. So there are just using FK for knock on

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
We have flu vaccines, which AIUI is more similar to coronavirus than the common cold is.
The first death from H5N1 was in May, 1997. The problem they have found with vaccines for the avian flu, is that immunity is short lived. 23 years on, that’s not been resolved, partly because testing vaccines on humans is dangerous & Pharmaceutical companies don’t like liability risks, preferring quick profits.
When one gets the flu jab each winter, it protects for the season ahead. With Covid19, even when they finally find a vaccine the worry is that immunity will be 2 to 3 months only.

For Rugby, I suspect checks on temperature before being allowed on the field of play. Perhaps next September is a bit soon to hope for a change in the present situation.

Last edited:

WoodyOne

Coach / Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I don't see temperature checks as a solution. Sure, they might stop someone with clear symptoms, but in both the incubation period (up to 2 weeks) and in cases where a Covid sufferer has no fever (as much as 2/3rds of cases in at least 1 peer reviewed study I've seen) they aren't going to help.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
We may never have a vaccine.
I don't think there is an effective vaccine for any other type of coronavirus

Not sure why they are bothering with this then?

More than $8bn (£6.5bn) has been pledged to help develop a coronavirus vaccine and fund research into the diagnosis and treatment of the disease.
Some 40 countries and donors took part in an online summit hosted by the EU.
EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said the money would help kickstart unprecedented global co-operation.

Coronavirus: World leaders pledge billions for vaccine fight https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52525387

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
'Cos its what they do, 'cos they perceive not to do so smacks of them "not caring" and leaving themsel;ves open to accusations of incompetentce?

Im not diaagreeing with Phil ... just trying to suggest a reason why theyd try if it cant be done . i.e. its a quasi-loiticalk reason, not a scientific one.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not sure why they are bothering with this then?

Coronavirus: World leaders pledge billions for vaccine fight https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52525387

don't quite get what you are unsure about? obviously they are hoping to develop the first ever effective vaccine for a coronavirus. hopefully they'll succeed. if they don't we'll have to get used to living with it.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
don't quite get what you are unsure about? obviously they are hoping to develop the first ever effective vaccine for a coronavirus. hopefully they'll succeed. if they don't we'll have to get used to living with it.
... and dying with it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't see temperature checks as a solution. Sure, they might stop someone with clear symptoms, but in both the incubation period (up to 2 weeks) and in cases where a Covid sufferer has no fever (as much as 2/3rds of cases in at least 1 peer reviewed study I've seen) they aren't going to help.

if we don't have a vaccine then the virus will continue to spread, measures like these would be useful, as they slow the rate it spreads, so that the situation is/becomes/ remains manageable.