Covid-19 Returning to play in Sept?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
we are now looking at full contact community rugby commencing from 27th June. Subject to the usual caveats.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
we are now looking at full contact community rugby commencing from 27th June. Subject to the usual caveats.

Dickie, the "usual caveats" here are maintaining social distancing, so will make lineouts easier with a two metre gap, and running in tries will be easier too, but i am not sure how scrums will work!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
training has now resumed. 10 to a group, 1.5 metre separation, no contact.

97457204_2999996696716937_1341935052434440192_o.jpg

Full contact training planned for early June.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Thanks Dickie. Id be really interested in any descriptions or footage of a trainig session.

cheers

didds

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Dickie, the "usual caveats" here are maintaining social distancing, so will make lineouts easier with a two metre gap, and running in tries will be easier too, but i am not sure how scrums will work!

Both teams' forwards face off in a simultaneous haka, and the scrum half does what he normally does and rolls the ball straight to one of his locks. :D

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think the UK will have the change the 2m to 1m before long , otherwise nothing will really work

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thanks Dickie. Id be really interested in any descriptions or footage of a trainig session.

cheers

didds

my son's club starts training on Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm sure it will be fitness work and maybe some ball drills.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Double ended combination sleds for Scrum?

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Both teams' forwards face off in a simultaneous haka, and the scrum half does what he normally does and rolls the ball straight to one of his locks. :D

I've been arguing for years that given the league scrum is just a rest, cuddle and reason for boofheads to gob off at each other that the forwards all have to lie on the ground in a line and when the scrum half passes the ball they all jump up like in surf-lifesaving and run 10m before being allowed to tackle. More useful from a fatigue POV and probably a damn site more entertaining.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

cheers

didds

Didds,

training went ahead yesterday. Field divided into 2 halves with up to 10 in each half. No swapping of players between the 2 groups. 90 minute session of fitness work (ie fartlek-type running) and ball work (passing drills).

Key features:
1.5 metre separation between players
balls washed down with detergent periodically
players used their own drink bottles
players encouraged to wash hands periodically (they had a portable wash station)

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Didds,

training went ahead yesterday. Field divided into 2 halves with up to 10 in each half. No swapping of players between the 2 groups. 90 minute session of fitness work (ie fartlek-type running) and ball work (passing drills).

Key features:
1.5 metre separation between players
balls washed down with detergent periodically
players used their own drink bottles
players encouraged to wash hands periodically (they had a portable wash station)

Interesting and thanks for sharing.

Curious that passing drills were permitted, one presumes that the players wore gloves?

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
The other issue is how comfortable will referees be in reffing given the average age is >50. Rugby is in for a tough 2 years I think. Might be the best thing that ever happened to it (reduction in emphasis on size, more airobic play etc) or the worst, clubs folding, players giving up.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The other issue is how comfortable will referees be in reffing given the average age is >50.

Speaking from a personal viewpoint; I can't wait to get back on the park.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The other issue is how comfortable will referees be in reffing given the average age is >50. Rugby is in for a tough 2 years I think. Might be the best thing that ever happened to it (reduction in emphasis on size, more airobic play etc) or the worst, clubs folding, players giving up.

Personally, with my wife due with our first in early August, I'm not that keen on spending a heap of time around large groups of people so will probably give it a miss for the first couple of weeks.

As for clubs folding, we've already heard that there are 2-3 teams (out of 11) unlikely to take the field this year, including last years championship premiers.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
realistically our infection rate in Oz is next to zero. I've got more chance of catching syphillis

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Interesting and thanks for sharing.

Curious that passing drills were permitted, one presumes that the players wore gloves?

TBH once those gloves have touched a face, mouth, sweat etc then its no different to bare hands. That ball work would be the one raised eyebrow for me, but with certain provisos in place (like the wash stations etc) exposure if any is at least limited. i'd wonder if there is more chance of cross contamination in a shop where people have handled goods and put them back in a shelf, used door handles into toilets etc etc.

didds