Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Solution: ban cameras at rugby games.

[the meerkat told me to say that]

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Why not have both?

What do you think that outcome will be of criminal action?

Caution?
Trip to the magistrates and a £25 fine?

You could indeed have both. AIUI any civil action will be postponed until any criminal action has run its course. Civil actions have a lower level of proof required (balance of probablity versus beyond reasonable doubt ). Though in this case there would be little to doubt.

The criminal action may be little more than a caution rather than a prosecution. Though given the adult versus child angle - maybe not so. Somebody better versed in day tio day criminal law would be far better to advise us all :) It would however still be on a criminal record, which may "encourage" the perp to not do it again.

???

didds

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
You could indeed have both. AIUI any civil action will be postponed until any criminal action has run its course. Civil actions have a lower level of proof required (balance of probablity versus beyond reasonable doubt ). Though in this case there would be little to doubt.

The criminal action may be little more than a caution rather than a prosecution. Though given the adult versus child angle - maybe not so. Somebody better versed in day tio day criminal law would be far better to advise us all :) It would however still be on a criminal record, which may "encourage" the perp to not do it again.

???

didds
Didds you understanding is the same as mine.

With recent relaxing of rehabilitation periods the 'criminal record' element really is less and less of a deterrent a caution is for example spent as soon as it is issued.

I can't see this being a police matter.

davidgh

Referees in England
Post Likes
Chaps, are the facts and the criminal law not fairly clear? The police would however only get involved at all if the child or the parents made a formal complaint.

In this case where there is no significant injury, I don't think the Police would be very proactive in their approach, I doubt the CPS would take much interest and if it happened to make the Magistrates I think they would see it as wasting their time, gladly they have a sense of proportion.

This was a serious incident, but we should not overdo it in terms of the impact on anybody, provided of course the match was not abandoned!

If we started thinking that we should involve the law in this .... couldn't we identify a truck load of other theoretically criminal acts that routinely take place on the rugby pitch .... Do we really want to go there? Don't we have a good reasonably well run disciplinary system and in most cases doesn't it work.

The one event I would personally not hesitate to involve the police in is racial abuse.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Publicly it sends the right message

But say little Jonny is driven to opposition club xxxxxxx next season, presumably dad sits in bar / car and his wandering around the site is unrestricted in general .

What happens if he watches the match from further back from the "touchline" or from it .... Then what?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
it's a small world, Browner, personally I doubt he'll be trying to watch games incognito, and if he did do so, I think he'd be quickly noticed, and I really doubt that his club would be willing to turn a blind eye.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
it's a small world, Browner, personally I doubt he'll be trying to watch games incognito, and if he did do so, I think he'd be quickly noticed, and I really doubt that his club would be willing to turn a blind eye.

As I'd expect, however my experience of parental touchline politics says the other parents in that age grade might be more disregarding than the blazers of their club.

It was more a question as to where a touchline begins and ends for the purposes of being banned from it?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
It was more a question as to where a touchline begins and ends for the purposes of being banned from it?
My thought exactly. Can he watch from the DBL? From behind a rope? From 10 yards back from the touchline? In the stand? Is he banned from Twickenham and Allianz Park?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i think you are over-thinking it. if he buys a ticket for Twickenham I don't suppose anyone cares.
and of course there is a certain amount of 'gesture' here. If his son plays a game in a public space (lots of clubs play in parks for instance) and he turns up, then it's true no one can stop him.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Publicly it sends the right message

But say little Jonny is driven to opposition club xxxxxxx next season, presumably dad sits in bar / car and his wandering around the site is unrestricted in general .

What happens if he watches the match from further back from the "touchline" or from it .... Then what?

Nothing. its a touchline ban - not a ban from all rugby clubs and grounds.

He'd have to a bloody long leg to trip up an oppo winger whilst sat in the bar - which is presumably what the intention is. Equally presumably its a touchline ban because a total ban could possibly impinge on his own children if they need him to drive/accompany then to playing and training.

Personally I think 2 years is bloody light.

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
is there more information provided to the perp wrt "touchline" ? Or is it more to the point bthat if he was caught being too close to "the touchline" - are there further sanctions available (lCF breaking parole) such that it is in his own best interests to avoid ever being in a position where that charge cold be made ie too close,to a touchline?

didds

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am interested in the term 'touchline' and would like to see the precise sentence from the RU. I was once involved in a serious incident with a coach who was banned from his own club for twelve months. I will never forget how precisely this was explained to the coach and the blazers from the club. This explanation included '... if you own daughter arranges her wedding reception at the club, you are not permitted to attend ...' and to the blazers '... if his presence is suspected, not even proved (sic), all responsibilities to the club from the RU will be suspended indefinitely...'

It will be very difficult to monitor a touchline ban.

NM