Leggings

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
if it's not cold then you have an easy get-out.

but let's say it really is, unequivocally, cold.
Let's say its 0.5deg, the coldest it can be without freezing, and everyone, including you, are wearing base layers under your jersey.. indeed it's 10mins from KO and you are still wearing your tracksuit bottoms 'cos it's so cold.

well here we go again - hurrrumppphhh !

man up, London's warmer than the provinces anyway by a degree or two. As for base layers under your jersey, long sleeved match officals' shirts, lycra undershorts, white/pink/green boots, beanies, mittens - they don't belong in rugby.

Even if St Nigel of Mynyddcerrig has worn more than one combination in the past..................

and I am delighted that I have Womble of a like mind too

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
To summarise
Players Under 18, playing in age groups Under 18, can wear leggings
Nobody playing senior rugby can wear leggings (even if they're under 18)

Er, about any Colts who happen to be over 18? Huh?

Have I got this right?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
There is an update to the cockup Touchline decision. It is also on the RFU website:

IRB GLOBAL TRIAL LAW AMENDMENTS – AGE GRADE RUGBY
The IRB Laws Amendments approved for global trials came into force in the Northern Hemisphere from 1st
September 2012. There are 8 Approved Law Trials applicable to Age Grade rugby (U7 – U18). In an effort to
provide clarity for those involved in the coaching, refereeing and administration of age grade rugby the
following statement applies:

1. Law 4.2
Special Additional Items of clothing for women - Female players may wear cotton blend long tights with single seam under their shorts and socks

By implication, between ages 7-18, male players may not. If all players under 18 were previously allowed to wear leggings, the clarification regarding female players is otiose, and confusing as regards male players.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
My position is
If no one else is bothered , then I am not bothered
If there is a conflict and I have to decide , then Touchline has no authority over the laws, so leggings are illegal and take them off. Even if it is cold

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Just thought i'd give this thread an airing again.........

Saturday, managed to get my hands on a Colts game (u18's), at the FRB one of the props turns up in leggings.

"you're not planning on keeping those on are you?"

"why not?"

"because the regs say you can only wear them if the ref says it's cold" at which point i looked at my legs

"OK i'll cut them off"

"I didn't say that, just said you can't wear them"

He rolled them up :wink:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
He rolled them up :wink:
And you measured the resulting sausages with a micrometer to determine that they were less than 5mm thick. :=

What a muppet. At about £40 a pair, I bet his parents would have been really pleased if he'd cut them above the knee. :sad:
Taff, this is Lower Glaws, not the valleys. At £40 a pair, he'd ahve used a bit of his pocket money to buy some new ones for next week. :wink:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
well it had to happen eventually. Colts U18 League match yesterday, cold, wet, & windy, not my favourite club to visit in a pretty deprived urban part of Hampshire - me in the middle with the whistle.

Home side #15 in black leggings and orange socks (rest of team-mates in black socks) plus bright blue boots - total numpty.
Dropped a few comments about ballet dancers etc but he wore them. Away side won 7-34.

Well this #15 went for a YC early second half after an assortment of comments of "what the f*ck is that for" and a selection of non-release of tackled player, not rolling, hands in ruck and after ATP and escalation warning, the final one of non release as a tackle-assist early second half. On being pinged he let rip with a lengthy speech questioning my eyesight, parentage, etc and stating that he was on his feet - I reminded him that his team-mate on the ground was the tackler, the oppo on the ground the tackled player, and so he as he was standing and holding the oppo he was a tackle-assist and under IRB Law had to release - at least for long enough to clap once. His "so f*cking what, I was on my feet", did not enamour him to me, nor improve my already negative disposition to him - he was already going for a yellow on repeat offences. On a basis of 'positive discrimination' ( because he was in leggings) I did not raise to a RC for dissent as I was questioning my objectivity if I did so.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You're going soft! :nono:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I sincerely trust that visits to Fordingbridge are a joy to all.

Though I hope that Alton don't enjoy it too much in a couple of weeks... :)

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
I sincerely trust that visits to Fordingbridge are a joy to all.

Though I hope that Alton don't enjoy it too much in a couple of weeks... :)

Had assumed ST was describing Alton! But maybe more Suburban than urban... :chin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Yes it was bloody cold with an icy wind, very very wet underfoot and a clubhouse straight out of a limited council budget in the 1960s. Most of Hants was cold yesterday, especially in my village which is the highest inhabited settlement in the county.

Alton is suburban market town with a by-pass, whereas Basingstoke is a town with ring road and dual carriageways; Fordingbridge is a semi-rural small country town with some lovely food pubs and a rugby club with a great new pitch.

I was down in one part of the extended urban Metropolis of "Solent City" - west Southampton to east Portsmouth and all points between.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Yes it was bloody cold with an icy wind, very very wet underfoot and a clubhouse straight out of a limited council budget in the 1960s. Most of Hants was cold yesterday, especially in my village which is the highest income per capita inhabited settlement in the county.

Fixed that for you! :)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
unfortunately that is not the case - the village that has that honour is a place called Droxford.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Of course - it is where my two late 20s daughters go for the two lovely pubs to find nice young men, preferably with a nice big inheritance & a few hundered acres. :biggrin:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Of course - it is where my two late 20s daughters go for the two lovely pubs to find nice young men, preferably with a nice big inheritance & a few hundered acres. :biggrin:

I googled it - it must be prosperous - it's still got 2 petrol stations!!!!

Even the little orange streetview man was wearing a Barbour jacket and Dubarry Wellies.:biggrin: