Leggings

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
That's a very clear explanation of the Law from the ARU

Worth noting that that memo came out in 2011 (at which time this thread had already been running a year!) . Recipients might have been forgiven for thinking that something had just changed in 2011 on leggings. But of course the IRB definition of underwear had come out five years previously , in 2006. So ARU were not relaying anything new, but explaining an existing, but slightly obscure, situation.

Also worth a smile that just eighteen months after the ARU memo explaining how the existing Laws made leggings illegal, the RFU would issue their Touchline memo explaining that under the existing laws leggings were OK.
:)

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
*bump* ;-)
I vote we take you outside and give you a shoeing. :biggrin:

Now that the season is about to start, can someone please give us an easy up to date summary of the last 115 pages? Ie who is allowed what exactly?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Kids when it's cold.
Ladies with suspenders.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
(sorry just have to bump the thread)

On Saturday I had my third foray into reffing adults. On the pitch next to mine were playing the 2ndXV of a National League 3 club .... two players in leggings :)

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
What would I do - ask to see the proof of the dispensation. No proof, no leggings.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
He has scarring on his legs after industrial accident, what would you do?

So is it medical advice (where's your letter), or vanity (man up)!!!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Quite possibly he's self-conscious if he has seriously ugly legs. But look at the entire physical presence of Yellow #3. We don't see him playing in a burka, so it seems inequitable to allow the leggings guy to cover his ugly bits.

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/wells...-by-malcolm-tarrant-415119.html#image=8925571

This is the player that claimed he had dispensation form the RFU to allow him to wear them (well he didn't 2 years ago when i challenged him) wonder if he has now?

Some might think it worth having a quiet word with the chap to get the full facts. To make a snap decision on the basis of first appearance could prove to be somewhat risky. Whatever decision is made should be supported by full facts and stand up to scrutiny. If there is an 'observer' present or other person recognised by the Society then it may be worth involving them in the decision making process although the final decision is with you!

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Quite possibly he's self-conscious if he has seriously ugly legs. But look at the entire physical presence of Yellow #3. We don't see him playing in a burka, so it seems inequitable to allow the leggings guy to cover his ugly bits.

I find your posting difficult to accept as a serious comment. Some might find it offensive. Particularly yellow #3.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
It's a difficult position to put the ref in, the home capt is asked if he minds and is given the reason why he needs to wear them, is he going to say no? Unlikely?

So the monkey is then put on the refs back, if je sticks to his guns he looks like the jobsworth!

I've mentioned this to my society and they were the ones that confirmed "the letter" does not exist. The club have been told that he needs to sort it out.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's a difficult position to put the ref in, the home capt is asked if he minds and is given the reason why he needs to wear them, is he going to say no? Unlikely?

So the monkey is then put on the refs back, if je sticks to his guns he looks like the jobsworth!

I've mentioned this to my society and they were the ones that confirmed "the letter" does not exist. The club have been told that he needs to sort it out.

if the opposing captain doesn't mind, is it really a big deal to simply let him play?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
if the opposing captain doesn't mind, is it really a big deal to simply let him play?
Exactly. While there are 44 people standing about scratching their nuts while we discuss leggins and letters .... is there any danger of some rugby being played?

Last edited:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

opposing captain probably doesn't mind getting a shoeing if he's lying on the wrong side. do we allow it?

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
If you let one player wear them then you have to let them all. where do you draw the line? Should we allow gloves to be worn as well or a pair of shorts with zips on the side?

Its simple really, Hi ref the opposing team doesnt mind if he wears leggings is that ok?

Sorry mate the laws dont allow its not my call !

Last edited: