Leggings

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
doesn't somehow fit my recollection of Alf Birch of Fordingbridge RFC (and Offenbach RFC) tho!

didds

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
Of course - it is where my two late 20s daughters go for the two lovely pubs to find nice young men, preferably with a nice big inheritance & a few hundered acres. :biggrin:

In years gone past all they would have trapped was a poor young Naval Officer out sampling the 12 real ales available at the White Horse!

- - - Updated - - -

unfortunately that is not the case - the village that has that honour is a place called Droxford.

Medstead cannot be a million miles behind! (only the other side of the a31 from you!y

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
They used to say that Preston Candover (not too far away from the other villages) had the most helicopters per head of the population. No doubt this has been taken over by some flash place in Essex!!

Meanwhile on the subject of leggings - ok being an expert on this law and enforcing rigidly BUT lets hope the rest of the game lives up to the same high standard or look the biggest pratt this side of Twickenham!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
that Touchline item is pretty old now, and obscure. You'd have trouble finding it in the web if you didn't know exactly what you were looking for and where it is.

So I wonder if the status quo has returned to the position laid out in the Laws and Regualtions - or do we think that old paragraph in touchline still holds sway, and trumps the regulations?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
:chin: there was a "touchline article on it?" :chin: ....... no don't remember that, but i did get an iRB memo saying they were a no no! :wink:

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
:chin: there was a "touchline article on it?" :chin: ....... no don't remember that, but i did get an iRB memo saying they were a no no! :wink:

Except for under18's and girls (I use this last term in its appropriate gender context only). In Scotland it is still no. One wouldn't wear leggings with a kilt, so . . .

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

:) urban myth alert: there was never an IRB memo.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
go on, then show us your memo :) ...

gosh, it's been 1100 posts and this thread has still got legs :)

rumours of an official memo (sometimes it is claimed to be from the RFU, sometimes from the IRB) have been seen at various points over the last 1000 posts - but in all that time no one has ever been able to produce an actual memo.

I don't think there ever was one -- but of course my claim could be disproved instantly ..... if you have one...

Meanwhile, for anyone interested, here's the paragraph the RFU did publish, in touchline
http://www.rugbyrefs.com/wiki/index.php/RFU_Communications

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
go on, then show us your memo :) ...

Need to know basis I am afraid.
Clearly if you weren't on the original distribution list, then you don't need to know :nono:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Well I saw an official memo too re U18s hence I allowed the young man to wear them.

Yes - all such memos should be on IRB and / or RFU web sites for all to read (and all Club Refs should get them too) but they aren't and in the greater scheme of our current disruption it is not a top 10 agenda item.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well I saw an official memo too re U18s hence I allowed the young man to wear them.

Yes - all such memos should be on IRB and / or RFU web sites for all to read (and all Club Refs should get them too) but they aren't and in the greater scheme of our current disruption it is not a top 10 agenda item.

So
- Simon received a official memo that says U18s are allowed to wear them
- BFG and Phil E received an IRB memo that said they are a No No

none of them are allowed to let anyone else see their memos :)

Anyway - for completeness. Here is what the RFU sent out after the Touchline issue

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 8 Nov 2011 09:44
Subject: RFU Ruling re: Base Layer Stockings/Tights
To:

Ladies and Gentlemen
Base Layer Stockings/Tights (aka skins)
You may have seen the following information in the October edition of ‘Touchline’:

“Following enquiries from coaches and parents, the RFU can confirm that it is permissible under RFU Regulations for young players, up to Under 18s, to wear base layer stockings or tights in cold weather, in accordance with IRB Regulation 12. This regulation states particular thickness. However, parents can assume that most common brands will comply, although players are permitted to wear them subject to the assessment of the match referee that the items are safe and pose no risk of injury to the wearer or other participants”

I’d like to apologise that you did not first see this information from this office; however this change is now applicable.

Please note that U18 year olds playing in the adult game may not wear base layer stockings/tights.

Regards

I imagine this is the communication Simon refers to, which is clear that Touchline trumps the Law.

I still maintain there was never a 'banning' memo....

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
crossref - yes, this is the RFU memo that I got and which (to my great personal disappointment & frustration) allows players up to U18 to wear leggings when playing.

The reason that I remember is that I got a personal copy from Richard G-J at RFU as he was well aware of my views on the topic, as is also Clare D who made an appropriate comment at the SW Group and Hants pre-season meetings when the new "ladies" leggings LAT was mentioned.

BTW - correct that there never was a banning memo, as they were never allowed in the first place under IRB Regulation 12 ! c'mon can we shoot for 200 ?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Memo.
Communication.
Email.

Who cares what it's called, we all saw it. Even crossref got a copy :wow:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
So
- Simon received a official memo that says U18s are allowed to wear them
- BFG and Phil E received an IRB memo that said they are a No No

none of them are allowed to let anyone else see their memos :)

Anyway - for completeness. Here is what the RFU sent out after the Touchline issue

I imagine this is the communication Simon refers to, which is clear that Touchline trumps the Law.

I still maintain there was never a 'banning' memo....

The 'banning' was implicit in the exception to what was permitted. So is there wording saying "leggings are banned"? No
Was there a specification of what WAS permitted? Yes. And therefore anything NOT on that list was not permissible

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I couldnt care less, they can all wear them for me, even if its red hot.

Really I don't care, about as much as I care about studs TBH

(yes i kind of glance at studs, but thats it, and no monitoring of the studs happen between the check and kick off)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Memo.
Communication.
Email.

Who cares what it's called, we all saw it. Even crossref got a copy :wow:

Phil - you've missed the point

BFG said
but i did get an iRB memo saying they were a no no!

lots of people claim there is an IRB ruling/communication/memo on leggings being banned... but there never was.

There was indeed last year a RFU memo saying they are legal (even though, accroding the IRB and RFU Laws and Regulations.. they are not!)

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Like some others on this board, I can't really get concerned about players wearing tights or leggings. After all, rugby is not intended as a demonstration of macho bravado. If they want to keep warm and there is no safety concern then they can wear woolly hats and scarves.

Likewise for refs, long sleeve shirts seem to be sensible - they always were for many decades.

At this stage I am wondering what on earth anybody ever saw as being wrong for kids to wear leg warming leggings.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I can't believe I'm posting on this thread as I tried so hard not to even read it anymore...but for it to resurface was intriguing and I could not help myself.

Down here - we don't get too many emails direct iRB notices, rather they are rehashed and put on ARU letter head etc. So for crossrefs benefit here is our "secret memo" on this subject. Though it appears ARU has applied its own age barrier for it to apply (not as cold here!)

oh - of course the link in the document is not valid..so I found the clarrification it makes reference to ie http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?domain=10&clarlaw=04&clarification=30

edit: I can't upload a file anymore for some reason?? so here is the link to our association website that has it...in the section "Refereeing Documents"

edit 2: scratch that last edit..i remembered how to upload files!View attachment 2528

Last edited: