Player Registration at all levels..

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Or, equally cynically, they want a full list of anyone related to the game to “share with our trusted partners for curated services tailored to your specific needs” - maybe it’s just about money?
No, the timing is the clue. It is not a coincidence that the two unexpected, unexplained changes come at once

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
We have had mandatory registration since the early 90's. Nobody plays a rugby game here unless they are registered. There are no "unofficial" games. We are not permitted to referee unless we are appointed to the game. I don't think any referee in Quebec would do a game knowing there were unregistered players on the field.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
We have had mandatory registration since the early 90's. Nobody plays a rugby game here unless they are registered. There are no "unofficial" games. We are not permitted to referee unless we are appointed to the game. I don't think any referee in Quebec would do a game knowing there were unregistered players on the field.
Interesting
In the scenario in post #11 what would be the answers in Canada?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Or, equally cynically, they want a full list of anyone related to the game to “share with our trusted partners for curated services tailored to your specific needs” - maybe it’s just about money?

Closer to the truth I think, this was announced last October ish, and one of the goals is around participation data (to justify money from government, grants, covid payments etc). but I can think of a lot of ways of gathering participation numbers without enforcing match day cards and registration on everyone.

However, data is now a currency, the adage in my line of work is that if you aren't paying for the product, then you are the produc

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Same with USA Rugby. Every player, coach, and ref has to be registered to be covered by the insurance - and as this is the US the insurance angle is critical as even a simple injury like a fracture can get very expensive real quick.

A club cannot fully register unless it has 15 registered players on the roster and a coach (L100 for touch, L200 if contact). When a player registers they select a club; similarly, when I renew I have to select a ref society.

The players are then tied to that club - to change clubs you need to apply for a waiver - but it’s common for teams to loan players on the day to make up numbers - but they must be registered with USAR.

I honestly don’t know if or how
Old Welsh Farts Vets vs. Llanvalley RFC
would work.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If the answer is that, in your system, old farts vets wouldn't be allowed to play llanvalley then that is exactly the problem
There are friendles like that played every week in London (and I suspect all over England Scotland and Wales)

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
If the answer is that, in your system, old farts vets wouldn't be allowed to play llanvalley then that is exactly the problem
There are friendless like that played every week in London (and I suspect all over England Scotland and Wales)
.. and as such overall active participation can only ever fall, and whole games get cancelled for the sake of two or three players potentially while students, old farts and visiors stand on the touchline ...

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Interesting
In the scenario in post #11 what would be the answers in Canada?
I can't speak for the rest of Canada, but in Quebec there are virtually no in-season friendlies. Finding a referee would be difficult, and without a centrally appointed referee, there is no game. Lending players to the opposition happens, particularly in the Development League (new players and old farts) and in age group rugby. As long as the players are registered there is no issue. In fact, AFAIK, players in the development league can play for any club in that league if needed. If Club A is playing Club B on Saturday and know they will be short, they can contact any club not playing on the day and ask if any of their players want a game.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I can't speak for the rest of Canada, but in Quebec there are virtually no in-season friendlies. Finding a referee would be difficult, and without a centrally appointed referee, there is no game. Lending players to the opposition happens, particularly in the Development League (new players and old farts) and in age group rugby. As long as the players are registered there is no issue. In fact, AFAIK, players in the development league can play for any club in that league if needed. If Club A is playing Club B on Saturday and know they will be short, they can contact any club not playing on the day and ask if any of their players want a game.
I like the idea that a player can register with the union, and that registration would then enable him to play in any club (below a certain level)
Especially if they can self-register

I hope the RFU will go for something along those lines

In England we allocate referees to friendlies (but only after we have allocated referees to league games, and still have refs left over) so they will often get a society ref. If they don't get one someone from the club will do it

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Registration is done online through Rugby Canada by individual players. If there are no referees available, then a "club ref" will be assigned. I assume the club will have to inform Rugby Quebec to ensure that person is trained, and to get them paid.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I like the idea that a player can register with the union, and that registration would then enable him to play in any club (below a certain level)
Especially if they can self-register

I hope the RFU will go for something along those lines

In England we allocate referees to friendlies (but only after we have allocated referees to league games, and still have refs left over) so they will often get a society ref. If they don't get one someone from the club will do it

It will be affiliation, so self registering on GMS the same as it is for age grade, the onus is on the players to do it themselves, and renew to every year. Age grade players can be affiliated (although they are renaming this back to registration) to multiple clubs, this was the question for adults - it seems that it will be one club only, like effective registration (Adult league players).

I speak from experience, that even when GMS is working (currently a lot of parents can't find our club in the system and actually affiliate their kids), people struggle with it, and won't do it - so can't play :-(

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It will be affiliation, so self registering on GMS the same as it is for age grade, the onus is on the players to do it themselves, and renew to every year. Age grade players can be affiliated (although they are renaming this back to registration) to multiple clubs, this was the question for adults - it seems that it will be one club only, like effective registration (Adult league players).

I speak from experience, that even when GMS is working (currently a lot of parents can't find our club in the system and actually affiliate their kids), people struggle with it, and won't do it - so can't play :-(
One problem is that ... So far as I can tell .. no one seems to know for certain what they have in mind

Hopefully they will come up with something simple and workable

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
We know 90% of it https://rise.articulate.com/share/z...wS2#/lessons/hwaxolshBkj2XYCjw-DtWcwHQ0FsQZEU

It’s the same process as age grade, so go to website, pick your club, enter details. But dual reg not multiple clubs like kids - rumour is that will be combined with electronic match cards for all too
I guess, but what would it mean in my scenario in post 11. I think perhaps
1. .OWF retired vets would need to register themselves (as players) before they could play, and affiliate to OFW if not already (this hopefully would mean reactivating their original registration to add a role of player

2.. Dai would have to go on line and add an affiliation to OWF. If PwllDu Vets participate in the same Friday night vets league as OWF Vets this might be a problem

3 .. let's assume that game day lending does not require affiliation to be added

Or do you think something else?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
1. .OWF retired vets would need to register themselves (as players) before they could play, and affiliate to OFW if not already (this hopefully would mean reactivating their original registration to add a role of player
Or what actually happens is that players never ever deregister as players when the boots are "finally" hung up.
And in a few decades when the RFU claim they have 20 million adult players registered, they actually have 50% of those aged above 40, some in their 90s...

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

2.. Dai would have to go on line and add an affiliation to OWF. If PwllDu Vets participate in the same Friday night vets league as OWF Vets this might be a problem

3 .. let's assume that game day lending does not require affiliation to be added

Or do you think something else?
As I understand it;

1) Yes
2) Yes - although we don't have Vets leagues round here, potentially could be dual reg to a Vets Team Club for Fridays and A.N.Other club for Saturdays
3) I wouldn't count on that, but I think this falls into the category of 'pragmatic sanctioning' because it's completely un policeable, and goes against the RFU 'Game On' principles :-(