Where are you this weekend? 2015/2016.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Mine was cold. In addition to the usual warm jacket, hat, and gloves, I decided to wear my ski trousers, and was very glad of them.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I envy you. My warm up was more of a, keep moving to survive the north wind.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had an odd game, both teams short of players. Peculiar local rules around uncontested scrums, and for the first time in ages I had to force a player off the field for suspected concussion.. Normally the captain/coach/teammates do that, this time, no, and I can't remember the last time I had to call it myself.

Next week.... Round one of the local cup. I love cup (ie knockout) games.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This Friday I am off to watch a RL convert play his first full game of RU (hopefully).

"King" Kevin Sinfield will be making his starting home debut for Yorkshire Carnegie against London Welsh at Headingley.

It'll be interesting watching him cope. Needless to say goal kicking will not be a problem.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
This Friday I am off to watch a RL convert play his first full game of RU (hopefully).

"King" Kevin Sinfield will be making his starting home debut for Yorkshire Carnegie against London Welsh at Headingley.

It'll be interesting watching him cope. Needless to say goal kicking will not be a problem.

googled to find out who he is :) -- seems a strange move for both sides. what's the thinking behind it

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
googled to find out who he is :) -- seems a strange move for both sides. what's the thinking behind it

I assume you mean Leeds Rhinos and Yorkshire Carnegie as opposed to London Welsh??

KS has retired from Rugby League after a stellar career at the Rhinos (his only club despite coming from Oldham) where he achieved:-

Club honours:-

Super League (7): 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015
World Club Challenge (3): 2005, 2008, 2012
League Leader's Shield (3): 2004, 2009, 2015
Challenge Cup (2): 2014, 2015

Individual honours:-

Golden Boot: 2012
Harry Sunderland Trophy (2): 2009, 2012
Lance Todd Trophy: 2005
Order of the British Empire: MBE 2014

He is the highest points scorer for Leeds Rhinos or Leeds RLFC, the highest points scorer in Super League and the 4th highest scorer in the history of Rugby League.

He is the Dan Carter of Rugby League and hopefully will enjoy a couple of years in Rugby Union. I couldn't give a toss if he is a "success" because he has nothing to prove. I would love to see him get Yorkshire Carnegie to the Premiership but if he doesn't he'll still be one of the all time great Rugby League players.

In terms of the thinking behind it. KS wants a go at it whilst he still can and I'm sure Carnegie would welcome a few hunderd curious Rhinos fans which would boost their gates significantly.

Rhinos home crowds = 16,000 to 22,000

Carnegie home crowds = 600 to 2,000

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
well, I meant : what do Yorkshire Carnegie and KS himself get from it.

Presumably KS gets significantly more money than he could earn in the next two years in RL (?)
... which makes me wonder if Yorkshire Carnegie will get value for that money, whether in a few hundred extra bums on seats (will RL fans really have to time to start watching RU as well? surely very few indeed would switch) OR are they looking for on-field contribution?

I guess goal-kicking is a nailed-on transportable skill.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
well, I meant : what do Yorkshire Carnegie and KS himself get from it.

Presumably KS gets significantly more money than he could earn in the next two years in RL (?)
... which makes me wonder if Yorkshire Carnegie will get value for that money, whether in a few hundred extra bums on seats (will RL fans really have to time to start watching RU as well? surely very few indeed would switch) OR are they looking for on-field contribution?

I guess goal-kicking is a nailed-on transportable skill.

I doubt YC will pay more than the Rhinos although I don't know. I suspect it is all part of a package to keep KS at Leeds Rhinos/Carnegie as Gary Hetherington engineers a role for him (if that's what he wants) longer term.

You'd only need a few hundred extra watching 'til February (and the start of Super League) to bring in a bit more revenue.

Last edited:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This weekend I have the pleasure of being hosted by our very own Womble :wink: So I assume I don't need a watch or a score card :shrug:

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
This weekend I have the pleasure of being hosted by our very own Womble :wink: So I assume I don't need a watch or a score card :shrug:

Nope, we have a man on the score board ( 2 actually, they need all the fingers ) Man with a hooter for time, would you like Lunch first Sir and maybe a small glass of red ;) ?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Nope, we have a man on the score board ( 2 actually, they need all the fingers ) Man with a hooter for time, would you like Lunch first Sir and maybe a small glass of red ;) ?

Thank you very much for the offer, but a cup of coffee on arrival would be lovely :wink:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Jesus you better bring your empathy with you...otherwise you're in for a gob full. :biggrin:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Nah, he knows better than to try that on :wink: I'm sure he'll be the model "blazer"

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I would be taking a watch and a scorecard.
Is this a level 6 game?
not normal to rely on a timekeeper at that level surely or for that matter a man on the scoreboard.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Is this a level 6 game?
not normal to rely on a timekeeper at that level surely or for that matter a man on the scoreboard.

it's an in-joke. We had much much discussion a while ago when womble claimed that as a ref he never kept score

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Is this a level 6 game?

Are you saying that down ere where the oggies do grow we casnt do sums nor read the sun diel ? ;)