yoyo test

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
20 ?????? I think you can safely drop the word "apparently".

It's funny how you can go off some people .... without even meeting them. :biggrin:

He is being groomed for stardom and if his commitment and management skills are as well honed as his yo yo test he should be trotting out at panel in a couple of years or so.

He's gone from L15-L5 in about 2 or 3 years!!!!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
He is being groomed for stardom and if his commitment and management skills are as well honed as his yo yo test he should be trotting out at panel in a couple of years or so.

He's gone from L15-L5 in about 2 or 3 years!!!!

good luck to the young man - 15 to 5 in two years is about as fast-tracked as it gets. Hope I get to watch him on exchange this season.

request for september - december availabilities led to me doing my yoyo test. Luckily I woke up when I got to 16, all in a sweat :biggrin:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Warwickshire set a yoyo level of 15 for a level 6 ref, or anyone aspiring to level 6
Then drop down half a YoYo level for each refereeing level.

So level 7 is 14.5
Level 8 is 14
Etc

For aspiring federation refs and above I would expect level 16 YoYo.

We're expected to (try) and get 16 next season, which is horrible, this season is bench marking (average being 15.5).

Sanzar boys are 18. And I can't think about how hard that would be.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Dr Stu,

Any tips on training for it?

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Sanzar boys are 18. And I can't think about how hard that would be.

18 is "acceptable" under the 2012 IRB guidelines, but there is an expectation that they will score "optimal", which is level 19. And they keep raising the level as to what is acceptable and optimal (bless them).

You ask about training for it Robbie - I have found that doing 20 metre shuttle runs with 8 sets of 1 min running and 1 min active recovery is pretty effective as it is pretty specific to the activity you're training for.
Got me further through it this year before I was blowing out my arse than I managed previously at least!

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
18 is "acceptable" under the 2012 IRB guidelines, but there is an expectation that they will score "optimal", which is level 19. And they keep raising the level as to what is acceptable and optimal (bless them).

You ask about training for it Robbie - I have found that doing 20 metre shuttle runs with 8 sets of 1 min running and 1 min active recovery is pretty effective as it is pretty specific to the activity you're training for.
Got me further through it this year before I was blowing out my arse than I managed previously at least!

when you say active recovery...you're saying run back and forth for 1min then walk the cones for 1mim? run, walk, run walk until you have 16min total...8min running and 8 walking?

Jacko

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
when you say active recovery...you're saying run back and forth for 1min then walk the cones for 1mim? run, walk, run walk until you have 16min total...8min running and 8 walking?

Yep. And make sure you RUN. I get close to my max heart rate.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes

I've been studying and trying to figure out this vo2 max thing. when you trained to raise yours...what was your level and what level did you get to by training what way and for how long jacko?

eg - you did the 16min shuttle session 2x weekly for 8 weeks and you went from a 15.1 to 16.1 on the yoyo.

did you lose any weight, change diet or change anything at all while you were training that would increase your vo2 and if so - please describe.

lastly - did you try and beat your previous work rate each training session...log it and beat it by 3% each time, etc as an example?

thanks

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Jacko is still young, so he's probably still on a diet of McDonald's & Chinese whilst doing a bit of training to get him over the line. :biggrin:

JP_Rocks

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes

Wore my HRM for the last yoyo I did- spent the last 3 minutes of the test with my HR above 200. Scored an 18.2.

Jacko

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I've been studying and trying to figure out this vo2 max thing. when you trained to raise yours...what was your level and what level did you get to by training what way and for how long jacko?

eg - you did the 16min shuttle session 2x weekly for 8 weeks and you went from a 15.1 to 16.1 on the yoyo.

did you lose any weight, change diet or change anything at all while you were training that would increase your vo2 and if so - please describe.

lastly - did you try and beat your previous work rate each training session...log it and beat it by 3% each time, etc as an example?

thanks

Last year at this time I got 18.2 if memory serves. This year I got 19.1. That's with about a month of doing shuttle run based training with an eye on the fitness tests.
This also comes as part of a general effort over the close season to increase fitness and lose some weight, so difficult to say exactly what effect that specific training has had. Diet has changed over that time (far less carbs, far more veg instead) and I have lost several kilos, but that's more down to diet than this training.
As far as work rate goes, I ensure I hit 90% max heart rate about mid-way through the session and keep getting up to it (and beyond) during the run phases. That doesn't always equate to more shuttles run (I have good days and bad days) but it does mean I'm putting the work in!

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
can you tell a difference in your refereeing ability now able to score a 19 vs an 18?

Jacko

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Absolutely - I haven't made a single incorrect decision in over a month...

Jacko

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Good luck with that - my season starts on 2nd August.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
ah well, another 2 weeks then. lol.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
can you tell a difference in your refereeing ability now able to score a 19 vs an 18?

I certainly have noticed a differance I went form14.8 - 15.somthing in 3 months and I really noticed the differance. Clearer thought process and better comms.