yoyo test

JP_Rocks

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I certainly have noticed a differance I went form14.8 - 15.somthing in 3 months and I really noticed the differance. Clearer thought process and better comms.

Spot on. Being fitter you arrive earlier, see more, and have the oxygen available to your brain to communicate with more clarity and make better decisions (probably not biologically accurate, but you know what I mean). Any sport is easier if you are fitter. I liken refereeing while unfit to grocery shopping while hungry- you make decisions that seem reasonable at the time that then don't stand up to scrutiny when reviewing them later on. Maybe that wasn't a penalty try... Maybe I didn't need 10 bags of doritos...

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Quite a good analogy! I'm going to use that!

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Veggie burger?!? Wash your mouth out...

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yorkshire's yoyo level requirements are:-

L6 15
L7 14.4
L8 14.2
L9 13.4
L10 13

I had a go tonight and got to 13.3 so I'll have train a bit over the next 3 or 4 weeks!

Shit!

Thats because you are old and fat!!!!!

Maybe you should just stick to level 10 and below and just ruin their games instead of good ones.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Thats because you are old and fat!!!!!

Maybe you should just stick to level 10 and below and just ruin their games instead of good ones.

tha is an ageist and fattist remark, which I resemble :biggrin:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
I tried one of those last year, horrible things ; actually I did have to rinse my mouth out, with Bushmills if I recall correctly.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes

Yeah, how dare he suggest eating a burger where some of it might actually be what's described in the ingredients! Horse is a vital part of anyone's training regimen, after all.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I had horse steaks the other day, delicious. Also some alpaca, camel, kangaroo..

Look at kezie foods if you're interested. Very nice meats!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
we had kanga burgers, bison steaks and mozerella (with tomatoes) at today's BBQ - all from Jody Scheketer's Laverstoke farm (ranch) in Overton, near Basingstoke. Very tasty too.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sorry to drag this thread up - does anyone have a list of the amount of shuttles there are at each level and the total distance run at each level?

Thanks

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Sorry to drag this thread up - does anyone have a list of the amount of shuttles there are at each level and the total distance run at each level?

Thanks

Try the link on post #8.

Click on all the training stuff and there's a PDF at the bottom of the page.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I've done this for the bleep test up to about level 16 before I got bored of it/realised I'm not there yet, so will post it up later

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Hmm,
The juicy bits have been buried way down in this discussion :

The over-all distance run is some 3.64 km, which is about 2 and a quarter miles. At my age, of course the test will be all over long before then...​

The blurb is available from "Bay of Plenty Rugby Football Union" Website :
(Always check out their website to make sure you're gertting the up-to-date information. Yeah, right!)

Here's a link to the their training page, have read it all the way thru' to the bottom of the page, you will see the following.....Yoyo Intermittant Recovery Test
(You'll also notice links to the mp3 file and a pdf (print-out) for noting your own efforts.) here are the links for any loafers on RRF : (We know who you are!)

(Remember these documents are copyright of [url]www.bangsbosport.com[/url],
[size=+2]ie. this mp3 file retails at 25€)[/size]
So unless your club is completely skint, do purchase the DVD for your training sessions.

Last edited:

Ecky

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Dr Stu,

Any tips on training for it?
Not that I'm Dr Stu - in fact I'm a newbie in forum, but here's my take on it:

Any sort of interval training. Doesn't need to mimic the beep or yoyo at all, as long as it is interval stuff.

For example, if you have somewhere with 1km distance marked, run that and try to get 3:45 or better, then rest for the same time you just ran, then run 1km again, aiming for 3:45 or better. Rest for the same time you just ran, then one more 1km, trying to beat your best time for the last 2. That's it. Session done (apart from warm up/warm down).

Alternatively, if you have a 400m aths track at your disposal at the local park, run laps thus: 100m sprint (well, at least 75% work rate), then straight into 100m brisk walk (recovery), then 100m sprint followed by 100m recovery, then 200m sprint followed by 200m recovery then 100m sprint with a final 100m recovery. Time how long this takes you, rest for that long and then repeat. Twice.

These routines, interspersed with bike riding a course with moderate rise/fall without changing gears, helped me to consistently high fitness level, allowing me to blitz the beep test a few years ago.

I have tapered considerably over the past couple years, choosing not to be "competitive" in premier grade ranks in my association, but still keep a pretty good level of fitness nonetheless. We had the choice of beep test or 2.4km run for the finals fitness testing last season and I still achieved the minimum requirement for finals selection, so I know this stuff works. Plus the training is over & done with in half an hour!

Go get 'em Robbie!

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Yeah I did mine and all went well.

Top Ref got 19.1, but he's a triathlete. I want to get 18 next season.