Recent content by Chunky Charvis

1. Chunky Charvis

[Law] Clips of new Laws?

Does anyone have any clips handy of the new laws? (I mean real examples from the first few weeks of the season - I already have the World Rugby presentation with the 'official' videos) Just trying to put together some bits for a society presentation.
  2. Chunky Charvis

[Law] Japanese Refereeing Rugby phrases in English?!

I am going out to Japan :japan: in April for a schools tournament, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of how best to learn phrases for refereeing? I've found this link: file:///C:/Users/Admin/Downloads/Amity+rugby+Japan.pdf but wondered if there was anything people had...
  3. Chunky Charvis

Referee "jargon"

I am looking at Communication by referees. What do people think of the "jargon" that is used by top referees the world over? Anyone got some good examples of these? I am talking about the phrases that are used which convey meaning to the players and perhaps coaches, but that the average...
  4. Chunky Charvis

Sharing/Swapping Referee Training presentations?

Hi, Would anyone be able to help - I am training officer for my Society, and our speaker next week has pulled out. Looks like I will have to prepare something instead! Does anyone (training officers in other societies or others) have any presentations they could share with me? I have some...
  5. Chunky Charvis

Promotion to National Panel

I received the good news this week that I have been promoted to the National Panel. :smile: I owe a huge debt of gratitude to all those people who have helped me get here in the last 4 seasons - Buckinghamshire Referees Society and especially Paul Stanley and Adrian Saunders; South West Group...
  6. Chunky Charvis

Promotion to L5

I am really chuffed to say that I have been accepted onto South West Group for the coming season. Am really pleased for my Society, Buckinghamshire, who have been fantastically supportive. And especially my coach Paul Stanley who is awesome! Big thank you to Simon Thomas from RR who has been...
  7. Chunky Charvis

Open letter to Gerald Davies, Lions Chairman

A very interesting "open letter" to Gerald Davies in his capacity as Chairman of the Lions Committee below: Raises the argument that the Lions has lost the "romance" that it once had...
  8. Chunky Charvis

Psychology - Dr Mikel Melick

Hi, Just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some of Dr Mikel Melick's papers on the pyschology of refereeing? I have read the excellent one on communication and decision making (a few years old it seems, which focusses on body language, whistle and verbal communication...
  9. Chunky Charvis

Saracens v Edinburgh non-try

Anyone see or have a link to the Saracens non-try from last Sunday's Heineken Cup game? I believe it was well into the 2nd half, and it was a "double movement" call (ok, "tackled player holding on" then)
  10. Chunky Charvis

Refereeing Autobiographies?

Anyone recommend any good refereeing autobiographies? I've read Nigel Owens "Half Time" which was good. Not many other rugby refereeing autobiographies though are there? I vaguely remember one of the Aussie refs having one but can't think which one. Failing that, which football referee ones...
  11. Chunky Charvis

Offences at the Tackle

If you had to list the offences you see at the tackle, what would they be? Under the following headings: By the Tackler By the Tackle Assist By the Ball Carrier By Other Players
  12. Chunky Charvis

Rugby Union in Revolt over Referees?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/9786503/Rugby-Union-in-revolt-what-do-the-experts-think.html From today's Telegraph. A double page spread. So 4 out of 6 full time referees are currently injured. That cannot be helping matters.
  13. Chunky Charvis

Paignton Saxons v Wadebridge Camels

Devon exchange this weekend. Anyone know much about these? I know that Paignton haven't had the best of starts, they have lost a lot of players to Brixham? over the close-season. They were L5 were they not some time ago? Wadebridge are top half of the table, but apparently don't travel that...
  14. Chunky Charvis

Kettering v Bedford Ath - any info?

I have Kettering v Bedford Ath tmrw, looking forward to it as my last E.Mids game was a cracker. Anyone know anything about these sides, in particular this season? I see that Bedford have started better and look strong, while Kettering were hammered pre-season by Havant and have lost 2 on the...
  15. Chunky Charvis

The Ref Zone - what has happened?

Just wondered what had happened to the website "The Ref Zone" as the videos etc that they usually have on there are not accessible. The pop up box talks of licensing agreements, is this being resolved or is it not possible? Found the RDP section very useful so would be a shame if it is no...