Search results

1. H

[Line out] Can't score (what) from free kick?

Have my 2018 law book with me and it says nothing about not being able to score from a free kick. You still can't do that right? I'm sure it's meant to prevent being able to kick for 3 from the fk. Today awarded a fk 15m in for blue lineout infringement, green 10 quick taps, zig and zags through...
  2. H

[Ruck] When could a #9's digging in ruck become hands in?

I know promoting quick ball and continuity of play is encouraged. I feel good when I see a 9 reach a foot into a ruck/scrum and roll the ball back to a better spot to the get pass off. I feel uneasy (whistle moving to lips) when I see them use their hand to roll it back to that better passing...
  3. H

[In-goal] 22.4(g) still possible w/ new 2017 trails

New Law 19 touch definition: If the ball has not passed the plane of touch when it is caught or picked up, then the catcher is deemed to have taken the ball into touch, regardless of whether the ball was in motion or stationary. 22.4(g)Player in touch or touch-in-goal. If an attacking player is...
  4. H

[Scrum] Scrum collapses on #8 pick

Blue is awarded a scrum inside their own 22M. They yield the first push and their opponents in White are winning the ball. Ball gets to White #8 who picks the ball up (ball is in hand but he's not fully gotten away from the scrum) in that instant blue gets their drive on and pushes back...
  5. H

[Ruck] Repeat team offences who gets YC

Had a game this season where one side at nearly every ruck were offside in front of the last foot. Tried to manage it by telling them, individually by # to move, then gave PKs, then gave captain a chance to have a word about it. Then after being offside ( several players in front of last...
  6. H

[In-goal] Kick from in goal and goes to touch-in-goal

There's a 5M scrum, White is defending, White wins the ball. They pass back, in to goal, to kicker for clearing kick. Nice high long kick but He flubbs it. Ball travels 50m laterally across field and maybe 5m forward,. Bounces in field of play then backwards into touch in- goal. Pretty sure...
  7. H

[Law] 1st half ends with foul play, how to restart 2nd half

Got much protest from coaches and Captain following my decision to start the second half with a PK. But I think it was the right call? We're past the 40-minute mark and play is still going on, Attacking side manages 10+/- phases of pick and roll rucking to score a try. As I whistle to award the...
  8. H

[Tackle] Going to ground to gather ball Vs. tackled

Ball is loose boouncing around from a bad pass, Red player goes to ground--gathers ball. Gold player, on his feet, is ...immediately there going for the "jackle". Red holds on and is PK'd for not releasing. Correct decision? Red's options were same as if he were tackled (plus he could have...
  9. H

[Tackle] Tackling from the ground.

Encounter this a few times in women's tourney other day. Not 100% sure of it. A Ball carrier running along gets caught by a defender and wrapped but not brought down, still on their feet trudging forward. Defender/ tackler in attempting to bring them to ground drops to their knees. Putting...
  10. H

[Kit] Tips for keeping a Scorecard

This seems very basic and probably upto everyone's preference. I find at the end of a match what I've recorded is too illegible, worn or hastily noted to be a good reference in writing my report. Haven't lost track of any points, yet, but not sure what details to note or short hand could be...
  11. H

Is scuffling material away from play.

Had a match last weekend that was a close contest between too undefeated sides. There was a lot of back and forth scoring and good rugby for the first 60+ mins. For the last quarter they both seemed frantic to secure the win and discipline become a problem. No ARs just me-- kid on one side...
  12. H

[Law] Hygiene... Blood

Read a reply here once, "there's no stupid questions", so here goes: at a midfield ruck ball is on ground black BC & blue tackler release/roll away, no issues. Scan lines, their onsides, then back to ruck everyones on their feet "rucking" when dollops of blood fall directly on to the ball--like...
  13. H

[Junior] Line out lifter drops jumper.

Refereed yesterday a high school match here in USA, used U19 law variations but some players were brand new to rugby and the most veteran players maybe have 1 season of rugby. Blue had the throw in, at a lineout 5 meters from their own try line, good throw to first pod but jumper muffs the...
  14. H

[In-goal] Would Law 22.7 Apply or Not

This happened in the U19 game I had over the weekend, still unsure what was cirrect call. Black #8 in possession running towards goal line is tackled 3 meters short of the goal line and looses the ball forward. Red defender just in front of his goal line attempts to field the loose ball which...
  15. H

[Law] Lock in sin bin, uncontested scrums? Law#3

Gave a YC to home team's lock near the 35minute mark. Didn't have another scrum before the break. At half time their coach approached me about sitting their fullback in the bin and substitute in another lock. I told him that's only allowable for the front three being suspended and if no one...
  16. H

[Law] Law Changing Front row skills out of the game?

Seems to me given the most recent decisions/changes: wheeling not earning a turn over, scrum half position on the feed and maybe allowing play on at a collapse, Plus the whole change in the past few years with the engagement process eliminating contact at engagement is making the past 20+ years...
  17. H

[In-goal] Maul moving back and forth over goal line

Yellow wins a defensive lineout on their own 5meter line. Pass goes back to yellow teammate who's in FOP and he attempts a kick. It's charged down by blue then caught by another yellow player with one foot in goal the other in FOP (so far brought into goal by blue). Quickly a maul (or not a...
  18. H

Law 16.4(a)

White player is tackled and a clean ruck forms with two defenders and three attackers. White wins the ball and it emerges past the last foot. Then another white player joins the ruck and ball is under him... in the ruck again and play on? Or FK returning ball into ruck.
  19. H

[Law] Jewelry disguised with tape

I've made it habit while doing the pregame boot check to say to the players, " please make sure you remove any necklaces, watches, ear rings or other jewelry and piercings before we kickoff." However, I regularly see players, often but not exclusively young women, come out to play with just a...
  20. H

#9 touching

In a College women's game I did over the weekend at the third scrum of the day and first to Red, Red had thrown into the scrum. As the ball travels back and Red wins the scrum, purple 9 has her hand on red 9's hip. Red 9 gets off a bad pass. Iwhistle and award a penalty kick to Red "purple 9...