Brian Moore becomes a ref.

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not a likely pair I know, but current Premiership fly-half Glen Jackson has a full-time contract with the NZRU next season as a full-time referee.

He attended the NZRU elite refs training camp last year and the union is excited by the prospect of having him on board as they really think it will help boost the number of players who consider taking up refereeing.

He has the potential and I think it's great they're taking him on -however, Mr Moore I feel won't set the RFU refs' department alight with excitement as his potential would be somewhat limited :D but good on the guy.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
part of me laughs at the irony, but only part. if that's true, what a complete pisser for him. goes through the course, sticks his head up to be shor down and his body fails. i know all about that :eek:

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I heard a BM calf injury 2 minutes in, is this true?

Yup. Old school friend of mine was playing for Nomads. Here's the best line:

I was gutted I wanted him to ref a lineout or scrum, but we ended up with one of the six nations refs instead!

Blessing in disguise, anyone!???

rubyref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I managed to get along to watch this last night. Brian came off after a few minutes with a calf injury.

To be fair, he looked genuinely disappointed. Let's hope he gives it another go.

Funniest moment was when he was asked by Sky what he'd learned and some card on the touchline suggests "to warm up properly".

Unlucky Brian. Hope you recover quickly and have another go.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Brian, if you read this, I've got an U16s game on Sunday that needs covering if you're interested?

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Funniest moment was when he was asked by Sky what he'd learned and some card on the touchline suggests "to warm up properly".

Lol, that is funny.

...Six Nations Referee...

Who? Barnesy is the only one I can think of that may have been there?

I too hope he gives it another bash!

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Anything about this in the Torygraph?

I'm sure Brian will have written up his experiences! :D

Love the gag about warming up.

Lets hope he tries again, and manages to last a whole game.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Lol, that is funny.

Who? Barnesy is the only one I can think of that may have been there?

I too hope he gives it another bash!

Barnsey was in Winchester last night at the Hampshire Society Monthly meeting.

I thought that Greg Garner was running touch, so maybe reffed, with Dobby on the other one ?

I do feel sympathy for Brian but it just goes to show what finely tuned athletes (compared to an ex-International player) we all are when even into our 50s we can cover two matches (or even more) each and every weekend !

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
BM WAS WEARING TIGHTS ! HURRRRRRUMPH - OFF WITH HIS HEAD

Such items are fit only for poofball and the ballet - and are not allowed for players (IRB Law Ruling November 2006), and are not approved referee kit (certainly in Hampshire for use by our Society Referees).

A dim view taken by some of us for the wearing of cycle under shorts that show below the Society shorts !

And what is all this about he is a level 4 qualified referee ? He has done ELRA (parts 1 & 2).

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Such items are fit only for poofball and the ballet - and are not allowed for players (IRB Law Ruling November 2006), and are not approved referee kit (certainly in Hampshire for use by our Society Referees).

A dim view taken by some of us for the wearing of cycle under shorts that show below the Society shorts !

And what is all this about he is a level 4 qualified referee ? He has done ELRA (parts 1 & 2).

And if he picked up an injury the "they help prevent injury" brigade can go whistle too :Looser: bloody poof, he's got soft since leaving the FR union:wink:

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
Brian Moore is not my favourite commentator but I admire him for sticking his head above the parapet. An interesting story which I heard lastweekend may make people look at BM in a different light. On my way to collect my son fron College I called into my old club in Wales for a pint. We were talking about After Dinner Speakers and how much they charge! I said my experience is that they range from £350 upwards.

A friend who played with Alan Lewis and Alun Pask said best speaker club have had was Brian Moore and Eddie Butler? It was in aid of Motor Neurones and after event organiser asked how much Brian wanted? He said give me 40 quid for deisel and tell me where nearest garage is so that I can get back to Twickenham!

This may have been a one off for a charity event but after this and seeing his interview on how he was abused by his teacher as a child he has gone up in my estimations even as an Englishman:D

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
OK, all those exhibiting a bit of schadenfreude at Brian's misfortune answer honestly: how many of us were really fit enough for our first match? I know I wasn't.

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Apparantley, the first thing Mr M had to sort out was the arrival of the London Scottish XV bearing red and white stripped shirts!

Given that's the colours of the Rosslyn Park team - that was a nice introduction to issues of grass routes rugby right there :D

As for being fit enough to referee our first game, I was as had just stopped playing - mind you, the two shots of brandy I sunk before the game to calm the nerves were, in hindsight, not advisable...

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I was expecting to play instead, so I was fit enough for 3rd XV rugby.

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
Fitness for 1st game wasn't an issue. it is for my 251st though

"Do you have any other hobbies apart from refereeing Mr Collins?"
"Yeah I cycle a fair bit"
"Well might want to stick with that. You've been very lucky this time but I'd strongly advise you against going back on a rugby pitch. Another impact injury could be catastrophic":(

kudos to pitbull for even trying. hope he gives it another go.

ballsie

ballsie
Post Likes
What a wally lucky rhere was some one there too take over not many of us have a suitable replacement when we get hurt mid game we get on with it and suffer get him on this forum after all it's called rugby refs and he is qualified after all

GeorgeR

Facebook Member
Post Likes

At the risk of igniting a myriad of responses, why is it deemed "unprofessional" to wear compression shorts? There do provide a legitimate function in supporting muscle fatigue etc...