Leggings

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The regulations and guidance are set by the IRB and in our case by RFU too.

We apply them as Society Referees, we don't make them, until you get onto a Society, CB, Federation, Comps or RFU Commitee perhaps.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Yes. You don't let the lunatics take over the asylum
Hang about. If we're talking of the the same man here (I'm slowly losing the will to live and haven't got time to go back to check) he has a disfigured leg after an accident; we haven't seen a letter and fear he may be just being a pussy (unlikely otherwise he'd be playing soccer). The opposing captain doesn't mind him wearing them and to cap it all off I can't think of a single safety concern with letting him wear them. Correct?

If we were to say he wasn't allowed on, you'd have 44 players and a handful of coaches all wondering the who the real "lunatic" is.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Hang about. If we're talking of the the same man here (I'm slowly losing the will to live and haven't got time to go back to check) he has a disfigured leg after an accident; we haven't seen a letter and fear he may be just being a pussy (unlikely otherwise he'd be playing soccer). The opposing captain doesn't mind him wearing them and to cap it all off I can't think of a single safety concern with letting him wear them. Correct?

If we were to say he wasn't allowed on, you'd have 44 players and a handful of coaches all wondering the who the real "lunatic" is.
And as far as you are concerned it is fine to ignore RFU/IRB rulings when you don't agree with them? If the chap has a legitimate case, then why does he not get a proper dispensation letter? A cynic might wonder if he had been refused one.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I've had captains on both teams try to talk me out of red cards following foul play.

You're suggesting that the opinion of Captains is something I should factor into my decision making? So, we allow it on legging...where then do we stop?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I've had captains on both teams try to talk me out of red cards following foul play.

You're suggesting that the opinion of Captains is something I should factor into my decision making? So, we allow it on legging...where then do we stop?

C'mon ref, neither of us mind our players knocking six bales of shit out of each other, that's why we took the fixture - just close your eyes Sir... facial scar'ing adds character !

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
If you let one player wear them then you have to let them all. where do you draw the line? Should we allow gloves to be worn as well ...
Winters are cold in Alsace, leggings, gloves you name it. That's fine by me, and stuff the RFU i say.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
So let me ask:
One team wears leggings because it's cold. One doesn't

The captain of the team not in leggings aks you about the leggings. Makes the point that his team are suffering because they chose to follow the IRB edicts.

What do you do then?

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Simon,
Captain is purely an honorary title in mini/midi/maxi rugby. As a coach, I obliged kids under my charge to tog out correctly. I would expect their coach to do the same . As a referee I'm more tolerant ; the notion that we treat children as if they were small sized adults seems positively Victorian to me. Thankfully that notion, holds no sway in FFRland :france:

L'irlandais

Post Likes
No worries. French term EDR means nothing in English.
Also, I have promised to ref Senior Rugby here in France (says so in my profile) soonish.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
This is good quality schools rugby -- Trinity Croydon beat Harrow by the smallest of margins last week, in Round 6 of the Natwest Cup.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...-win-at-Harrow-with-final-action-of-game.html

The match won on the last kick of the game - and look what the kicker was wearing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J2-EoASr_UE

Clive Woodward and David Brailsford both stress the importance of grabbing small and incremental advatages -- would the kicker have made the kick if he'd been told to take his leggings off?
How cold was it in Harrow last week?

I wonder who the referee was. London I assume

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Ginger and wearing leggings. They'll never stop school bullying! :biggrin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
This is good quality schools rugby -- Trinity Croydon beat Harrow by the smallest of margins last week, in Round 6 of the Natwest Cup.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...-win-at-Harrow-with-final-action-of-game.html

The match won on the last kick of the game - and look what the kicker was wearing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J2-EoASr_UE

Clive Woodward and David Brailsford both stress the importance of grabbing small and incremental advatages -- would the kicker have made the kick if he'd been told to take his leggings off?
How cold was it in Harrow last week?

I wonder who the referee was. London I assume

Yes it is a London referee, other Trinty School players are wearing leggings too. In London !

Harrrrrumph - I must write a letter to their Headmaster

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
Who cares about the leggings - what a kick!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
it certainly was -- and just right at the end of his range. Very cool young man to kick that to win a match.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
perhaps he has special kicking leggings, one leg tighter than the other..

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
thought it was about time to dig this one out :wink:

In a couple of weeks time, will be reffing a side where they have a player that wears leggings.

Now he will claim that he has a letter from the RFU allowing him to wear them due to scars on his legs he has after industrial accident (think i may have done this post before), unless something has changed, since early this season, when a fellow ref was told he had said letter, but had "forgotten to bring it with him" i.e. he hasn't got a letter.

Should I let him play in them?

He's been told in the past he needs to get this sorted and either he's not bothered or RFU have said no, which i'd be surprised?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Can you let them know in advance of the game that you will be needing to see the letter.
That way you can avoid confrontation on the day.