Leggings

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Yes it is, there is nothing against a player wearing tape, which makes the whole leggings thing just farcical.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
two pairs of leggings in my U15 game this morning -- one from each team.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Was it cold?

nope.

but let's face it, u15 friendly, b side from one club, c side from the other, , first match after Christmas, one or to players in both clubs playing for first time for their club having turned up for training last week (new year resolution), recent RFU newsletter saying leggings are allowed ..... I'm not getting into a 'is it cold enough' argument. Let's play.

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
I also received it from the RFU just this morning also -- email sent to CRefCs :)

my first ever secret email. I am made up :pepper:

It didn't go to all CRefC's....:mad: Perhaps some CRefC's are more equal than others.....

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
And is that ok ?

At the level of that fixture, Red 3rds v slightly different red 4ths, I was trying to extract a game from 30 middle-aged largely unfit blokes who wanted an organised run-around. Of course it was OK.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had the leggings issue in my last game, 2nd XV Adult, guy says, i wear them for medical reasons.

Excellent, but you can't wear them, he didn't play.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
nope.

but let's face it, u15 friendly, b side from one club, c side from the other, , first match after Christmas, one or to players in both clubs playing for first time for their club having turned up for training last week (new year resolution), recent RFU newsletter saying leggings are allowed ..... I'm not getting into a 'is it cold enough' argument. Let's play.

Well done.

Does anyone on here actually feel the no leggings is a good thing, or do we all feel like I do in that it's just a hassle that has no benefit and just makes us (referees) look like jobsworths when we enforce it.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Only until someone produces teflon leggings that make it impossible to get a proper hold in the tackle. But they've already allowed that for shirts.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
A parent asked the GRFU who asked the RFU who asked the IRB and the IRB told the RFU who told the GRFU who told the parent
LEG SKINS REGULATION

In recent weeks the RFU has received a number of enquiries from concerned parents about their children playing rugby in cold weather, and asking if it is acceptable for children to wear tights/skins in such conditions. The IRB Regulation which governs this is unclear and in need of some clarification. The various affected staff members have discussed the issue and decided that the only commonsense position is to allow young players to wear such items in the interests of child welfare. The iRB were invited to consider the arguments in favour of this decision, and have ruled that the RFU may allow players to wear such RFU-approved items in age grade rugby, subject to the match referee’s assessment of the items as safe and the item’s conformity with iRB Regulation 12, in the following terms:

“A player must not wear any item of which any part is thicker than 0.5 cm when uncompressed or is denser than 45 kilograms per cubic metre unless specified within this Regulation 12/Law 4. Where this overall thickness consists of padded material covered by fabric, 0.5 cm is the maximum measured thickness for the combination of the uncompressed padding and the fabric. The fabric can contribute up to a maximum measured thickness of 1 mm on each side of the padding”.

The RFU intends to cascade the information down so that it reaches all necessary stakeholders and is applied uniformly throughout the country.

To purchase RFU-approved items of kit for training and playing, and to show your support for England Rugby, please visit http://store.rfu.com/stores/rfu/default.aspx.

Did that start sound familiar?
I have a friend in Minsk,
Who has a friend in Pinsk,
Whose friend in Omsk
Has friend in Tomsk
With friend in Akmolinsk.
His friend in Alexandrovsk
Has friend in Petropavlovsk,
Whose friend somehow
Is solving now
The problem in Dnepropetrovsk.

And when his work is done -
Ha ha! - begins the fun.
From Dnepropetrovsk
To Petropavlovsk,
By way of Iliysk,
And Novorossiysk,
To Alexandrovsk to Akmolinsk
To Tomsk to Omsk
To Pinsk to Minsk
To me the news will run,
Yes, to me the news will run!
(Tom Lehrer, of course)

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
does that mean eventually adults will be allowed to wear them?

also, anyone else notice that in the video where Nigel Owens tells all the players off after brining them together, that he is wearing gloves?

I don't blame him, it can be bloody freezing in the UK in Winter. But I suspect he may now have reached his plateau because of it. :biggrin:

(iRB World Cup Referee is not a bad plateau)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The IRB Regulation which governs this is unclear and in need of some clarification

gosh, I seem to remember saying something like that once or twice!

decided that the only commonsense position is to allow young players to wear such items in the interests of child welfare

to my mind that's commonsense for players up to U12, gosh we even let them play in tracksuits sometimes.

but older than that my commonsense is that the rules should be the same as for adults.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
or is denser than 45 kilograms per cubic metre unless specified

Getcher density-per-cubic-metre fabric measuring devices 'ere! Roll up, roll up, fabulous bargains, one day only, be the envy of all yer mates...

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
Home from work to find an email from M&J chairman telling me the GRFU has sent him an email trail on the subject of LEGGINGS.

HUGE excitement - "great, I can contribute usefully to the leggings thread and not have to think up some gratuitous post to nudge it onwards towards #1000"

Feverishly, log on.......to find.............OB has beaten me to it........Doh!!!!

:Looser:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Home from work to find an email from M&J chairman telling me the GRFU has sent him an email trail on the subject of LEGGINGS.

HUGE excitement - "great, I can contribute usefully to the leggings thread and not have to think up some gratuitous post to nudge it onwards towards #1000"

Feverishly, log on.......to find.............OB has beaten me to it........Doh!!!!

:Looser:
Your problem was a four-letter word: work!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Does anyone on here actually feel the no leggings is a good thing, or do we all feel like I do in that it's just a hassle that has no benefit and just makes us (referees) look like jobsworths when we enforce it.

Hmmm...

I think the letter was a bit of a sop really. It still left the ref ending up potentially being the "bad guy" on the day, either way. Say someone can;t wear them and somebody will know a time when a ref did... temperatures etc will not enter this "understanding" (and to be fair, why would it).
TBH on reflection I think at the levels where leggings are ever going to be worn, no one is trying some "speed suit swimsuit" type advantage from them. maybe if they started appearing in various luminescent shades purely on an aethestic basis maybe then is the time to say "Woah" but otherwise... lets play... If for whatever reason it keeps someone playing isn;t that more important?

didds