Recent content by Rawling

1. R

Connacht/Wasps - penalty awarded at 80m kicked to touch

Video here. Penalty is awarded very close to the TV clock going red. After some debate, the referee allows it to be kicked to touch, and the game is won from the ensuing lineout. As far as I remember, the law variation allowing a penalty awarded after time to be kicked to touch and the...
  2. R

Falcons vs Chiefs - TMO

After referee Ian Tempest calls for play continue, calling a knock-on as backwards, the AR asks him to check for a forward pass. He asks the TMO to check for a forward pass. The TMO proceeds to watch and rule on the knock-on :offtopic: Is that a mistake under the current TMO protocol?
  3. R

Which takes precedence, 22.3(b) or 22.11(b)?

The defending team puts the ball into their own in-goal. An attacking player gains possession, dives, and simultaneously grounds the ball in the in-goal and places his foot on the touch-in-goal or dead-ball line. What's the result? 22.3(b) is more specific but gives a stupid result - if you...
  4. R

SA Rugby Referees on SANZAR directive to penalize for second early engagement

So I gather SANZAR has currently directed referees to award a penalty for any early engagement after the first. To be honest, I hadn't considered whether this needed to be backed up in law. However, SA Rugby Referees has done so via one of their Law clips: If this is the official...
  5. R

Bath vs Wasps - TMO

This was one of the matches to be trialling a TMO despite not being televised. I didn't have the best view - I was on a hill outside the Rec! - , but with two minutes left the TMO was called on for the third time to check a Bath grounding. The big screen came up "TRY", and I walked off. When I...
  6. R

SA "You be the ref"

Nice set of questions here. Interesting is number 7: Spoilers: The given answer is (b), and the Law quoted is the one saying that a quick throw must be taken behind where the ball goes into touch. I'm glad this backs up a literal interpretation of that law, rather than reading it as "behind...
  7. R

5.7e - ending the match - updated 2010

I note that the law on when to end a match has been updated in the 2010 Law book: Much as I applaud any attempt to clarify this law - if it means referees less frequently "steal" the last play by awarding a scrum before time and then blowing up! - I'm worried about the bit in bold. Does this...
  8. R

First Lions test

Couple odd decisions so far? First penatly given ~1m in from touch rather than 5m (Edit: actually looking at the laws, I think I'm wrong on this) Anyone feel the TMO was trying to say held up at the first referrral?
  9. R

Ruling 4, 2009 - tackle

Firstly, apologies if this has been posted, but I can't see it. Firstly, I'm not sure why this is a ruck issue rather than a tackle issue - surely the same should apply to a player with his hands on the ball on the ground whether or not it's over a tackle. Secondly, I like the ruling that...
  10. R

Oldie... Sale Sharks vs Ospreys, 2006

Just found this video on YouTube, showing a late Ospreys try and conversion to beat sale Sharks by 1 point in the Heineken Cup 2006/07. The question is... how late? The game clock puts it at 6 minutes past the 80, which is backed up by the Wikipedia page. However, the video starts with a...
  11. R

Munster v Sale - 3rd try

Right after the restart. Red 7 tackled around the legs and brought to kneeling on the ground. Gets released, stands up, runs to the line and scores. As far as I could see, he didn't release the ball. :( Edit: better thread for this is Was It Right?
  12. R

Magner's League: no more disciplinaries

Jennings appeal upheld and ban lifted. Opinions? Better or worse than the French letting ERC-cited player play while suspended?
  13. R

SA Referees - more ELV scrum-half offside line confusion

Sa Rugby Referees - LAW CHAT: HEINEKEN, ROUND 3 Didn't we (you) decide this wasn't the case? That one offside line for the non-winning scrum half is the back foot, and that he can leave the immediate area of the scrum as long as he is behind this line?
  14. R

IRB gets tough - again

The International Rugby Board has again stressed the need for compliance in the application of the laws governing the tackle and the ruck and the scrum feed.
  15. R

Ball flying out of scrum

Re. this video on RugbyDump, tries 6 and 4: In both cases, the ball comes flying out the back of the scrum in a rather obvious manner. Is it possible to do this legally?