Recent content by Rich

1. R

Penalty Advantage playing - kicked into touch - come back for penalty?

Red is given a penalty advantage, a few seconds later Red kicks, ball goes into touch. Do you come back for penalty advantage or is red deemed to have played the ball and thus has given up the penalty advantage even though they have lost the put in? PS, we are not close enough to the posts to...
  2. R

Quick penalty tap kick - when are defenders penalise for not retiring 10?

Just interested on some help here; Reds are awarded a penalty, they tap kick quickly and blues have very little chance to retire. Red player then runs forward from the penalty mark but is stopped/tackled by a blue player - let's say 5M from the original penalty mark. Is the blue player...
  3. R

Thigh grips for lineout

Just wanted to clarify, as cannot find relevant information, what/how much is the legal amount of thigh strapping on players' thighs specifically with regards to aids for those being lifted in lineouts. thanks.
  4. R

Ruck/maul with tackler having hands on the ball - help please!

Sorry, difficult to precis in a title; Red is tackled to the ground by blue. Blue gets up and manages to get hands on ball as players bind on from both sides; 1) Blue tackler lifts ball off ground after "ruck" is formed. Technically he had hands on as the ruck is formed so is allowed to...
  5. R

Briefing Supporters (parents) before a match?

As I was pondering in the shower just now and having posted in this section before about the joys of youth discipline & refereeing, it occurred to me that some of the difficulties encountered in discipline are not from the players but rather the spectators. It's a case in point that the RFU is...
  6. R

U17 behaviour or is it just me?

Hello peeps, just wanted your thoughts. To put this into context, I coach U14 and referee from u13 all the way up to vets, but find that often the hardest matches to manages with regards to behaviour are U17 matches. Is that me or does anyone else find that this age group have the petulance of a...
  7. R

What underclothing in cold weather?

I'm sure that I've seen polarised views on this somewhere on the forum, but cannot now find the thread. Question: When refereeing on cold days (I know, subjective), what do you wear under your referee short sleeved shirt and natty society shorts? Are long sleeved skins frowned upon....and as...
  8. R

Score card design and content

Just interested if anyone has come up with what they feel is a good score card design for pocket wallet that they are prepared to share? Or for that matter if there is one online somewhere that they feel does the job. Also, apart from the score what else do you put on you card during the match?
  9. R

Clarification Please; ball kicked into in-goal then is made dead - scrum or 22 choice

Ok this has no doubt been discussed before but cannot find a definitive answer and just trying to sort out in my head the wording of two sections of law in 22.7 and 22.8 22.7 When an attacking player sends or carries the ball into the opponents’ in-goal and it becomes dead there, either...
  10. R

Use of whistle - when and where?

Simple one this one - I wanted to clarify in my mind with everyone's help when to and when not to use the whistle - particularly when not; Scenarios When to blow 1. Start of half kick off, half time, full time 2. Penalty/FK/Scrum etc infringement 3. Ball goes in to touch after Penalty kick...
  11. R

What Watch do you use?

I was wondering what if any, is the time keeping watch of choice for refereeing? I have one that has large digits...something to do with my age, my wife tells me....What about you?
  12. R

Wheeled Scrum at U18 - 45 degree - reset - who gets the ball?

I am troubled and need clarification; My original understanding of U18 (not U19) is that once the scrum has wheeled (unintentionally) beyond 45 degrees then the scrum is reset, with the original "throwing in" team putting the ball in again. 1) I have just read some RFU U19 variations (appendix...
  13. R

Ruck forms then Blue leave ruck, red ruck collapses

Hi everyone, interesting one that I had to referee today (for me) as I was unsure how to deal with this; Red player tackled by blue - goes to ground Ruck forms with 1 blue & 1 Red bound over ball More reds turn up and join the ruck correctly. Blues also turn up, but then having been bound in...
  14. R

Scrum difficulties - Help for the novice please!

I refereed a game last week - league 4 - where the scrums proved a complete nightmare. Despite my best efforts I had various scenarios where front row players were being repeatedly pushed up on both sides alternatively and wheeling scrums. I would be interested to hear what actions I could have...
  15. R

Throw forward intercepted then no advantage

Hello everyone, my first post on this great forum - very new to all this so be gentle! I have a simple question, but one that I am unsure on: Red moving forward with ball, passes and ball goes forward, which is then caught and intercepted by blue in flight. Blue is then immediately involved in...