Search results

1. N

Unfortunate turn of events

So... Quite unusual turn of events today. I refereed a private school's game this morning and as I turned to run, my mouth was open (as I look gormless most of the time) and what flies in and stings me on the tongue?? A wasp! I should have also been refereeing this afternoon but had a swollen...
  2. N

[Ruck] When the ball is out

Hi, For me the ball is out when: 1) the ball is outside the back foot of the hindmost player 2) the ball is lifted off the ground by the scrum half (or similar player) in preparation for passing away. Today, at a ruck, a player joined the back of the ruck, and whilst bound in with one long arm...
  3. N

Kick at goal from own 22m

Red are currently 1 points ahead. Red get a penalty on their own 22. Captain asks how long left. I reply 1min 10sec. He takes time and kicks the pen towards the Blue team posts. Time runs out as ball is in the air. Blue catch, run through the Reds, kicks over full back and scores. Blue win by 4...
  4. N

Is the ball out?

Hi Guys, A colleague mentioned a document from ARU (I think) that has a run down on lots of scenarios and whether the ball is in or out when it crosses the line of touch? Does anyone know this document/report and do you have link? Regards Lewis
  5. N

Ref Dissent?

End of the game. I blow the whistle and end the game due to a forward pass from team A. The player who received the forward pass, wasn't happy as he thought it was fine. I started to shake hands with all players and the afore mentioned player started to shake my hand looked up at me and threw...
  6. N

Who is the attacking team?

Hi, Had a training event and someone stated that the definition of 'attacking' team is the team in the opposing teams half. This was in the context of an unplayable ball from a ruck going to an attacking team. I decided team going forward is an easier way to do it
  7. N

making a mark at the lineout

black team kick the ball out red team gets the ball and goes to throw it in a black player has got to the mark where the ball went out but he is between the touch and 5 metre line red player takes a quick throw and the ball hits the black player. other black players had got to the mark...
  8. N

missed penalty and ball in touch

I'm having a real brain-fart here but... If a penalty is kicked at goal and it misses and goes through the in-goal, is it an option of scrum/22 drop as normal also, from a penalty kicked out of hand for touch - if it goes out of pay and bends back into play, play continues? I'm sorry, I know...
  9. N

Deliberate one handed knock back?

What do you think...? Red is tackled. blue tackler rolls away and gets up. Red rolls onto back and pops the ball up in the air. Red player is shoulder to shoulder with a blue player and with one hand knocks the ball back towards his own in goal area. I played on as there was no offside issue...
  10. N

recording pens, FK, scrums etc.

I'm getting my friend to watch me ref and to copy what assessors do when they watch. I'm getting him to count, per quarter of the game, penalties, free kicks, collapsed scrums, reset scrums. This may be a stupid question but is there anything I can do with this information myself? Is it worth...
  11. N

Bleep test

Hi, Anyone know what roughly what bleep test result is required at each grade? I know there maybe some differences between societies but a general idea would be handy. Thanks
  12. N

indicate to scrum half when he can put the ball in

Hi Guys, I've been watching the videos for the new scrum laws and I've noticed that the ref seems to indicate to the scrum half when he can put the ball in. Is this a new thing? Once I've called set I expect the ball to be put in ASAP, so why does he say 'ok' to the scrum half? Any help would...
  13. N

what do you do with your arms at the lineout?

Hi, I had a game today and a fellow ref who happened to be there commented about my arm at the lineout. I put my arm up before the ball is thrown in and then drop it once the lineout has ended as a signal for the 10s to bring their lines up. I tell them this in the brief. Can I have comments...
  14. N

best refs scorecard and yellow/red card book?

Can anyone suggest a good ref scorecard book please? my old one has split in half and I'm looking at a getting a new one.
  15. N

South Africa Refs Website - Is this true?

I found this on the south African Refs website. It concerns videos about law 16. Here's the quote: Just watched the video and it seems that it's more of a case of ball out rather than use it. is the quote above factually correct? Does 'use it' mean that someone can come round and steal the...
  16. N

Continuous Referee Development Award - England

Hi, has anyone done modules from this course? could they provide any feedback or recommendations about this course? Thanks
  17. N

Law Clarrifications

as a newish ref - I'm reading the irblaws website and I'm looking at the law clarifications. How far back into the past should I go? Thanks
  18. N

Interferring with scrum half at a ruck

At a match today: at a ruck the ball was secured, the scrum half picked the ball up with both hands. as he started to move away a player reached over the top of the ruck and hit the ball out of his hands. He was on his feet and was a big lad hence the ability to reach over the ruck. Pen or not...
  19. N

Ruck penalty signal

I've been watching a game today: Penalty given at ruck. Ref indicates penalty with his left arm and gives a secondary signal where he hangs his hand down and rotates it. It looks like a DJ spinning his disks! Ideas of what the penalty is for? Lewis
  20. N

Stopping a fight

Two players spilled out of the side of a ruck. they squabbled on the floor and had a hug/cuddle. I ran passed them and shouted "stop." Unfortunately everyone stopped, apart from one player who ran through the middle of the ruck and scored a try. The captain then went ballistic, and gave me a...