Search results

1. D

Free Kick behind 22

Free Kick awarded behind 22. Player does not tap the ball and kick it , but kicks it DIRECTLY into touch. Soooo, line out to opposition where the ball went into touch, or scrum to opposition where Free Kick awarded, or.....?
  2. D

End of match on Penalty.

I'm still bit confused as to what I am seeing as the interpretations of the end of the match on a recent visit to the USA. On last second of the clock ticking, Referee awards penalty try for off-sides during a goal line battle. Is there a mandatory restart or is the match over? I've seen it...
  3. D

Time wasting

You have forgotten the second sentence....." The referee must apply the laws of the game fairly in every match."
  4. D

[Tackle] Game Management (?)

Trying to understand your game management techniques. Two university sides in the states playing last night. I watched one team be penalized for 10 high tackles....after the 4th, ref awarded a yellow card...continued on with 6 more high tackle penalties and awarded 3 more yellow cards...4...
  5. D

[Maul] When is a flying wedge a maul...a maul a flying wedge....or....?

We are meeting with coaches and refs in our conference here in the USA to discuss the law changes...This is a first such gathering in gawd knows how many decades. From pre-meeting cards with questions from the coaches, literally know one can make sense of he difference from a maul and a flying...
  6. D

[Law] Carded in tournament play....?

University level play in southern USA. What is the general consensus on players being carded in tournament play? Yellow card...they can or cannot play in next game? Red card...out of next game or out of tournament?
  7. D

[Line out] Quick Throw in ?

A kicks ball from behind their 22 into touch. Ball bounces off a railing and into hands of awaiting B who is in touch. B makes a quick throw in to a teammate who is 5.5 meters from touch and behind the spot where ball went into touch. I was taught that if the ball strikes an impediment, person...
  8. D

[Law] It Just Keeps Getting Stranger

So...the same coach and head of our university union and webpage that I dealt with in Law 3....hmmmm...I'll log a protest." has placed an asterisk next to his first loss this weekend, 31-12, because the referee apparently only timed 30 minute halves. No weather problems, no apparent discussion...
  9. D

[Scrum] Law 3....hmmmm...I'll log a protest.

USA University level match.....Team Blue does not have sufficiently trained props. The props have one week of practice under their belts according to Team Blue coach. Coach of Team Blue asks for unopposed scrums under Law 3. Team Red claims under Law 3 its a forfeit because Team Blue doesn't...
  10. D

[Maul] Anyone see a foul here...?

The USA Rugby administration doesn’t think this foul play raises to the level of a serious offense.... Your thoughts?
  11. D

[Tackle] "You Must Be On Your Feet To Make a Tackle"...Sydney 7's

USA vs Scotland at 11:14 of the video...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALYJlipAFUQ... Does the referee just decide to make up a law to penalize the USA? Quote: "You Must Be On Your Feet To Make a Tackle"...... Since when?
  12. D

[Tackle] NO WRAP = Red Card

Twenty minutes into first/half Under 19 game in USA. White Player is brought down with no wrap (this is subject to debate from witnesses). Contact well below waist by Blue tackler. Referee had not admonished either team for dangerous, non-wrapping or high tackles. Blue tackler awarded yellow...
  13. D

[Law] Player lies about age-U-19

We find that a local USA, U-19 team has been playing with a player that is 20 years of age. Player registered with USA Union and lied about his age. We cannot deduce if the coaches knew. I would think at the minimum any games he played for the team must be forfeited. Coaches sanctioned...its...
  14. D

Canada vs Japan...Pacific Nations Cup

Just watched Luke Pearce in action in California...Japan vs Canada. He moves and communicates well. But , am I missing something? If you go to video of the game http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2611817/ the penalty at 1:27...there is no ruck. Man is tackled...No ruck...
  15. D

Single File Ruck....

More and more in the states, we are seeing single file rucks. Red player tackled. Blue tackler rolls away. Red tackled player places ball back for on-coming support. His body is north and south towards try lines. Instead of two players coming over the top of Red player on ground to establish...
  16. D

Line Out Maul Not Contested #2

Maul formed at lineout. But, ball carrier is at the head of maul, facing forward. Ball is never moved or passed to another player. Defensive team , lets us waltz in and place the ball down. No opposition. Try? Referee says, no opposition and that we were shepherding, hence no try. What...
  17. D

One hooker says to another, "May I see the ball please?"

Yes, its a trick play. Taking advantage of the lack of knowledge of the laws by the other hooker. It's a lineout. 1) Before the lineup forms 2) Ball is in possession and at the mark of team Blue throwing in ball 3) White hooker asks, Blue hooker to see the ball. 4) Blue hands the ball to White...